Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

3D RPG

Shelly5

Lord of Altera
Greetings holloworld comunity,

I am currently working on creating a 3D rpg game, or at least I am going to...
There comes the hook ;)

I got some ideas and 200 series of tutorials ahead of me watching, but I am stuck at one basic thing.
And that is, story... along with world map of course. I got ideas, I got some scenes in my head, that kind of thing.

This rpg is going to be a medieval one. To be more precisive, fantasy medieval, as I am planning to add magic there (not dragons)... If any of you folks know Gothic series, I wanted to do something like that, not too huge map, ( Gothic 1 could be finished in like 8 hours of main storyline only) and of course there are going to be dungeons and cities, beautiful sceneries and all those kinds of things...
So basically following the tuts I should be able to do all these things, but I need your help at that.
I ned a story, possibly more stories which, alongside with you we could combine and create one unique and awesome story...
Thus, depending on storry, I still didn't decide for map yet. Weather to create a big one or smaller one, number of cities and overall builds on it... Everything will depend on story.
So please, if you got any ideas to story, (from maps, plots , whatever) do not hestitate to share with me.

Also, here's a list of people I am still looking for. Please note that I am working on this in my free time and so it is not paid work.

Music composers
Graphicians (Probably to create som icons, and if we are going to be sucesfull maybe some loading screens and wallpapers later)
Testers
Proggramers (to create 3D objects)
Voice actors
And mybe more ? (Add any ideas if you think so)

Here's some preview of whats the software (Unity(that's the name of it))is capable of :

Attachments

Camernater3

Lord of Altera
I will gladly test if I can
also for the story maybe its based on two small islands and a group has to gather all the people on the main island to the smaller second island for whatever reason?

ACU20

Legend of Altera
this seems very interesting, and since iam only fifteen i can't voice ct for adults but maybe a kid :D

Might sound weird coming from a fifteen year old but i am quite fond of creating quests and storylines if you need any help, count me in!
If you give me the basic story, locaiton and characters i can easily create a story which isn't too cliché or cheezy! (i hope! XD)

And i will gladly test it out aswell, i have a very good critic sence i guess you could say.

Last edited:

mokwar

Yū Yi
Evil
mokwar
mokwar
Evil
I dream of being a voice actor... So I'm in your disposal... Also if there is something I would be glad to help ^^

Backstay

Lord of Altera
BurgZergArcade, right?

I tried using that, too. The first many parts are outdated and do not work anymore. You'll need real scripting experience for it. Also, 3D RPGs usually take years to make, and those are even made by teams of +100 people. Just a thing I'll remind you about before you get to far into it :p

Good luck with it, though!

Shelly5

Lord of Altera
BurgZergArcade, right?

I tried using that, too. The first many parts are outdated and do not work anymore. You'll need real scripting experience for it. Also, 3D RPGs usually take years to make, and those are even made by teams of +100 people. Just a thing I'll remind you about before you get to far into it :p

Good luck with it, though!
I noticed that that guy uploaded few tuts with version 2.0
And also discoverd that he have now about 300 tutorials alredy :-O . About the scripting part, well I plan to create map and storyline and then maybe post it on youtube to find people alredy skilled in these things. But as I mentioned, I am inspired by gothic series. Especially the first one was great. You could finish the main storyline in about 8 hours, game itself had like only 5 cutscenes in total and graphic itself was terrible. (not that bad actually, I think it was made in about 2000... I ll post some pics at the end of post). And also map was small, only 3 main camps and few ruins. But, because of its story and atmosfere, this was the best rpg of its time... I just want to say by this, you dont need huge maps and tons of quests... If you got good story and something that will grab players, you got 60% of success. Way to go, I am not trying to create games like oblivion or skyrim, but something smaller with a remarkable atmosfhere should do the trick. That is, I think, all for now.

To the story: I think I will go trough few whitlist appliations as there are some really great ideas. So far I got only "parts of ideas" or better to say, very few of them ? Definitely I want npc to guide you trough the story, or at least someone helping you in that way, wich would turn out in the end that he or she is evil . I may even stick to 3 main camps as in gothic 1, because as far as I know not many players know that game altought it was awesome. I am still thinking about this point ... I may put something together after reading tons of applications :p ... Hovewer, this is not going to be mmorpg or that kind of thing. Just a simple game with story, nice graphic, something remarkable...

To the people who are interested as voice actors, I am counting you in... hovewer, it may take up to a month or maybe even longer till we get to phase with voice acting. Well, I think its all for know, I hope I didn't forgot to reply to anything... here are the pics I promised. Note the picture of map, its not too large but it still offers a lot to do...

Attachments

ACU20

Legend of Altera
well if ya' need any help just do as i said send me the important details and i will think something up :D

Shelly5

Lord of Altera
Okay, I went trough few applications and this is what I came out with. Feel free to add something or change some things if you think its cliché... I am aware that the story is close to gothic 1, but I like it anyway :p

There age going to be 3 camps (3 playable sides)
They're going to fight against orcs as well as leading civil war...
All the story will take part on island (thats the only way I could set borders of player movment)

Now to the story:

You are awaken by the sounds of battle at the middle of the night (its gonna rain as well).
You come out to chceck whats going on... the orcs are attacking (after a while of fight, army would arive and save the day... horray! :p)
Now the dialouges part.... This never happend, they never got so deep inside our teritority... Or they could came with ships... Well main character will have to go with army to the castle... some more scripting while you come there... and more dialouges...
From now on, you could walk on your on in a open world.

So the main plot is that the orcs are attacking and army have to stop them... I know its cliché :p

Now, there would be those 3 playable factions:
Army (which would try to defend the cities and so and so...)
Rebels(which would find against orcs and army, not happy about taxes and fact that orcs are advancing etc.)
And something(These would want peace ? Something like we could live with them in peace...Thinking like if we let em be they won't bother us... (which won't happen of course)) (this third faction would need some major plot lol)

Anyway, so there would be war against orcs as well as civil one. But there have to be twist in every game :p...
That person wich would acompany you troughout the game, would be evil (which you could discover... possibly... or maybe not) So you would do all these evil things , no matter which faction you 'll join.

There are going to be like "You have to prove youself first,so you can get accepted" - this kind of main quests... which makes game longer.

And finally, at some point, you would beat the orcs, and the civil war would go full size... This would be probably something like epilouge, or final parts of the game...
At this point, I havent tought about it yet properly, you 'll be assigned a quest to kill someone or something like that, and that person would tell you the truth... that you've done all the bad things...

Well and the rest of things is still unknown to me... This should be the point of game when the story unites, no matter wich faction you join...
I had one more idea, that main hero would die in the end...

Let me know what do you think or which parts would you change, what is good and bad... you know...

Backstay

Lord of Altera
Making a story is one thing.

What are you gonna do when you come to modelling, shaders, lightmapping, animations and so on? That's when it's not easy anymore. Gets frustrating then.

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
Here's some preview of whats the software (Unity(that's the name of it))is capable of :
Just a warning, what Backstay said. Do not expect these results. For similar results teams of over hundred people work for two years as full time job. A static world is naught compared to a world people want.

Backstay

Lord of Altera
Not saying you shouldn't try making it. Of course if you want to try it, you definetly should. Working with the Unity 3D engine is definetly much fun, and relatively easy to use compared to other engines. Been using it for two years, so I can assure you that the engine is truly awesome.

Good luck! :)

Flashkillerz

I think I might like it here
Good luck with the game, I can try to test it for you at anytime. I could also help out with programming (to create 3D objects), but I would have to learn by watching tutorials etc.

Shelly5

Lord of Altera
We have the final shape of our island... finally, after 3 days...
A person is large as... Well you wouldn't probably see even a dot from this angle...

Map_overview.png

Flashkillerz

I think I might like it here
Shelly, why don't you use an engine? I have been trying to develop my own RPG, look up something like Cryengine 3, Unreal Engine 3, Neoengine, and Unity Engine. This would really help your goal of making a game. Please reply! Look up these engines :p

Shelly5

Lord of Altera
Shelly, why don't you use an engine? I have been trying to develop my own RPG, look up something like Cryengine 3, Unreal Engine 3, Neoengine, and Unity Engine. This would really help your goal of making a game. Please reply! Look up these engines
I will. But there is one thing I 've came across while creating the map. That is most probably errosion. I did map by drawning it and using terrain tools, which was kinda nice and I would stick to it, but I implemented some addons and it completley overwrited my map... even old saves. At that point I was thinking if it wouldn't be better generate terrain in some other software, mainly leaving a stand-alone file if things would go wrong...

So yea, I am going to use unity engine, but the quality of map created by worldmachine cannot be compared to hand-making...

Catanomical

Lord of Altera
Catanomical
Catanomical
Evil
I skimmed through all the posts. I could voice act, and help with ideas and testing. I can't code or help with the game physically. I think it is a good idea even if it takes teams of 100+ cause there is reasons why it takes 2 years for making a game. MANY I been behind the scenes of games being made. I have what seems a lot of free times after school and I mean a lot. So please count me in Shelly and for a taste of my voice it is deep I guess but I ca change the pitch dramatically as the way I talk and etc. as well as me being told it is soothing for people had me read to them in TS of Hollow world one time...The story still freaks me out. But please count me in!