a simple suggestion about the economy

oveny

Legend of Altera
I've been on the server for a decent amount of time (at least a year) and I've noticed it's extremely hard for new comers and those in communities who have only just popped up, struggle to earn money (especially for buying plots to expand their towns) I know voting can get money and so can the now brought back auction system, but the problem is that a lot of the money is in the old characters and those who have been on the server for a really long time. So I came to the conclusion that maybe if the server hosted events and challenges for factions to work on all the way to individual people (maybe have the whole world involved in some major events) where money can be given out (so those communities and new players can get a better chance at earning money, while also introducing some cooperative and competitive rp in different areas other than the usual: rp, grinding for items for hours on end and hoping people buy the items).

Some examples could be an international competition, maybe a community based building contest or even some small challenges like mob raids and such all around the world so people can get money and unique items to sell (maybe even have a few "discoveries" where people can search for ruins and such around the world). Even better would be a dungeon world where people can submit dungeon designs and earn some money for them, as well as have items and money in them for people who go in them to find and collect.

Squidziod

Sea Dweller
Staff member
Squidziod
Squidziod
Money is primarily needed in large quantities for buying and expanding regions, and we already have lots of empty regions. I'm not of the opinion that it needs to be easier.

oveny

Legend of Altera
I know we have many, but the problem is that the new communities can't get much money to expand (which contributes to them not being able to do much and then they eventually leave or go inactive). There is also the problem of not a lot of community based events, such as a community raiding a tomb and taking treasure.

NIAH

Secretly Elz
Retired Staff
Money is primarily needed in large quantities for buying and expanding regions, and we already have lots of empty regions. I'm not of the opinion that it needs to be easier.
The same. It is meant to be hard and difficult, in a way. New players are encouraged to join existing towns and existing regions, to learn the server's lore and playstyle. We have had soooo many new players join and be gifted large quantities of rads, buy regions, and abandon them after three months. They suffer from not getting to RP with other people.

I would personally like it to be harder to obtain regions, but that's just me.

oveny

Legend of Altera
if the requirements for setting up regions were harder, that wouldn't cause a problem as you could set it up as if you would've to apply and show a certain amount of people are active and such, but I'm mostly suggesting this for those communities who are actually active.

The flaw with making it harder to earn money is that, those towns which are active can't expand to take those people in or host events to make themselves look more appealing to new players.

Squidziod

Sea Dweller
Staff member
Squidziod
Squidziod
There are a large number of already widely expanded cities for communities to establish themselves in. Each community, no matter how large or active, does not need it's own city. I don't think new players are hurt so much by money being hard to get, because there's already so much they have access to.

oveny

Legend of Altera
my community is trying to buy the whole island they are on, that costs at least 1 million rads (I'm not joking), we have been constantly expanding and getting new people and such, but you're telling me that's fine to let us struggle to get money because of inactive regions when we are quite active and taking in a lot of new people when we can with the amount of land we own (I've had to change and update the housing due to the fact we need more housing)? Instead of making it harder to make money, maybe make it harder to make the towns instead (by limiting them and making people apply for them which is the more logical idea as it doesn't stop the growth of the active regions).

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
my community is trying to buy the whole island they are on, that costs at least 1 million rads (I'm not joking), we have been constantly expanding and getting new people and such, but you're telling me that's fine to let us struggle to get money because of inactive regions when we are quite active and taking in a lot of new people when we can with the amount of land we own (I've had to change and update the housing due to the fact we need more housing)? Instead of making it harder to make money, maybe make it harder to make the towns instead (by limiting them and making people apply for them which is the more logical idea as it doesn't stop the growth of the active regions).
How many are you, and why do you need plots across the whole island?

And it's not really a struggle. In one week, 10 people doing no money activity except voting can claim 33 plots. The largest regions on the server push 600, I believe, which puts you on par in 18 weeks with the largest places. And, by the by, a consistent problem with mega-scale regions is population. There's never enough people to fill a large city, and there's never enough players to give reason for the size of a place beyond a small hamlet.

Squidziod

Sea Dweller
Staff member
Squidziod
Squidziod
Each member of your community can earn 1,000 rads every day. If your community is as flourishing as you say, and you really need the extra space, you shouldn't have too many problems if you all make the concerted effort to vote and earn the rads.

oveny

Legend of Altera
we have at least 20 members, we also vote a lot; but it's still not enough as we got to constantly buy materials, buy plots, get ic items as well as host events which all cost a lot of money, which we can't get unless we wait for months to get them

Raphael Payne

Lord of Altera
Mystic
Raphael_Payne
Raphael_Payne
Mystic
As I'll say here: Until you have the online numbers aswell as a reasonable IC force or power projection for claiming an entire island, I really dont think you should be claiming an entire island, not for anyone elses sake, but for you and your people's econony. I bought two entire islands once, it didn't go well and ended in a struggle for rads and I had an on-par community to that end.

Squidziod

Sea Dweller
Staff member
Squidziod
Squidziod
20k every single day is not enough? I know you probably don't collect that much, but that's how much you could be collecting and I just don't believe that it's somehow not enough. I'm sorry, I don't honestly believe that there is a serious problem here that needs to be addressed and your personal testimonial hasn't changed that opinion.

oveny

Legend of Altera
well even if the main idea of the suggestion isn't use, we still could use the premise of more small localised events such as dungeon raids hosted by the server might bring more rp and help keep people in those active communities

I am Wake

Loyal Servant of Altera
Legend
I_am_Wake
I_am_Wake
Legend
I, too, am of the same opinion- though for the longest time, I felt as if I never had enough.

Although as soon as I joined the server, I was helping Piratep00f make Khárûz Korum.

The amount of money needed for such a venture was too much for only three people to handle, which is why we got the kind donations of others to help us- especially with the World Edits. After Khárûz Korum's Rimtar, I begun saving up my votes "for a region" in my mind, as I needed a new location for the future University that I am planning on creating.

However, now that I have slightly less then needed to start a new region-- I am of the same mindset and agree that money is actually quite easy to get, but with patience or large numbers of players (as said above).

So... I have simply joined other regions to complete my goal. Lana now has a home in Storms Landing and the future University shall be in Veraci (hopefully). There never was any need to build another region when I can simply join another =)

oveny

Legend of Altera
I personally don't find getting money hard at times (but thats when I sell a ship), but trying to earn money without the skills of a builder or artist can be hard, especially when you try to tax people and the only revenue is literally voting (which not everyone does, nor can some remember to do it everyday and give us some and have enough for them to spend it on items they want). I mostly suggested this as an idea/ group of ideas to either help rp to make communities which are active stay active or to allow a little bit more money going around. I'm not suggesting people get 10,000 for both votes, or the events to give 100,000s; just for some other way for people to get money a little easier. If the suggestions I stated can't be implemented maybe have an area where people can look at what communities are working on and if they fancy, donate money to them (if needed I would happily start this idea).

Last edited:

Narvendel

Lord of Altera
Make an IC flier linking to your town thread asking for donations of rads and materials. Talk about your vision, possible future recompense, whatever. There's your RP right there, which can stretch into the future. And if you need materials that badly, there's this place that gets torn to shreds on the regular that's just for that called The Sorrows. Or if you wanna get an abundance of something, say wood, then use what you need and use the newly reopened auction house or chest shops for money. There are plenty of ways to get money, just gotta invest in the grind or be creative.

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Staff member
While Alec and I received large amounts of donations at the beginning of our Arget project which certainly fueled its growth a great deal, once you reach a certain size you run into a lot of issues. For example we own a great many plots in and around Arget that either don't have builds yet, or are only foundation areas for future builds. Granted we are slower then some due to our dependence on Quartz to build our region but my point is, despite all the help we got Arget was and still is majority funded by just myself and Alec. Even when folks were donating 50k to us we matched every donation and exceeded it, and went to the nether farming our own quartz (Yes again in the beginning we got some help here too). It has been a project years in the making is the important part.
*Note to all who donated* I am not discrediting your massive help simply trying to impress the need and willingness to continue alone and give more then anyone else to your own project. If you aren't willing to sacrifice for your project why should anyone else?

Any large region with quality builds is going to be a very long term investment and you should look at it as such. You need to switch your mental time frames from days and weeks, to months at minimum when you want to build something impressive. As people have stated if only half of your population donate their rads to your project every day that is 4 plots at 2.5k a pop. In less then a year, 250 days at that rate you would have a thousand plot region, a region that would rival any of the major builds on the server including Arget, Bastion of Immortality and Hawklights stuff up north (Just the ones I know for sure). Many of which are projects that stretch back many years IRL in effort.

If you really have to kick start it as others have said make a thread detailing what your project is, why they should care, and ask for donations. To have a successful one have something built already that is impressive enough to show folks you are serious about your project. Also try and think about what makes your settlement different from any other on the server. For Arget it was a racial capital of the Silver Elves, something lacking in the server until Alec and I decided we would make it.

Additionally you need to be willing to continue going even when the initial excitement is gone. Every major build on the server has went through highs and lows in activity, its really exciting to log in and see 10-15 people RPing in your region. However if you want to make something that won't just be abandoned and become a dead region, you have to find a way to continue working on it even when that excitement is gone.