Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Alignment issues

Spear

The Undying Scholar.
Retired Staff
Been thinking about this recently as a lot of people seem to just use the terms good and evil as blanket terms, they consider the church and crown "good" and all pirates, darkbloods, bandits, grief worshippers "evil". Which is why it needs a little disambiguation.

Truth be told there a lot more to it than that, in Dungeons and Dragons there are two types alignments to let people better define this but in Altera I think we actually need three.

Good - Neutral - Evil.
Your characters personality and way you choose to conduct yourself. Both good and evil gods are present in the cathedral and it isn't a crime to worship them, true your more likely to be somewhat of a villain but I've seen evil characters who do very well for themselves without ever getting into fights with guards.

Lawful - Neutral - Chaotic
Your characters choices when it comes to obeying the laws of the silver crown, If your lawful your probably aligned with the crown and not rebellious, if your chaotic your probably rebelling or a criminal and will end up getting into scraps with the silver cloaks on occasion however it is still possible to be good or evil regardless of your choice here.

And now the magical third choice that Altera seems to need.

Guardians of Altera - Neutral - Agents of Grief
Which side your on in the true war against grief. Its possible to be against grief whilst still being a blood thirsty Kilrox worshipping savage just as its possible for you to side with grief and be a lawful character. Siding with grief however does sort of spin you towards being evil not that you can worship the gods if your a grief agent.

The silver cloaks and royal guards only chase people are chaotic, the church only chase people who are Agents of grief.

The High church is actually aligned in this system as Neutral - Neutral - Guardian. We worship both the good and evil gods and the laws of the crown are unimportant to us though we choose to follow them most of the time as common courtesy.
(That said not every member of the church will be exactly the same, the first arbiter was in fact an Evil - Neutral - Guardian as shown in the massacre of Daggerfall cathedral story)

The Crown is Neutral - Lawful - Guardian as I see it as though their primary concern is ruling Altera politically this particular crown is firmly against grief. (Though again not every one working with the crown will follow this exactly)

Hopefully if everyone starts distinguishing good and evil better then there can be a lot less blind hate towards other groups and people won't be surprised when the church chooses to work with pirates, bandits or assassins.

Thoughts?

NiNi

MooCat
This helps, Alot!

I can change up my character a bit actually, actually inspired me to do a bit of writing.

Spear

The Undying Scholar.
Retired Staff
Excellent! Didn't expect anyone to even pay attention to this honestly xD

matyio

The original mute
if you think about it it makes sense, too many people think a bandit is evil. they aren't necessarily, they aren't forces fighting for grief, but they aren't guardian of altera. they are chaotic neutral most likely, not fighting for the fun but for the gain.

Spear

The Undying Scholar.
Retired Staff
Actually the original Protarian bandits would have (at least at one point) Been Good - Chaotic - guardian/neutral as a group, they were originally freedom fighters against the kings who they thought were tyrancical.

NiNi

MooCat
I'm glad someone brought this up actually. I do think that we should bring some attention to this..

+1 for sticky.

Menel

Carpet Monkey
in addition to this:

stop judging people by names and professions. i just judged every person i met by his/her doings from the begining, therefor i never belived the church was good, i had some serious doubts about the last crown and i know too much about the current crown to say they are not neutral :p

realy, that works, there are a few people who are bandits and the like and they have more honour in their left knee (with an arrow to it) then some nobles i meet in the councils =0

mistaahh

Lord of Altera
I think Limadan has more honor than most nobles..

He only kills, and smacks enemies down for nothing..

But he does it with honor..

rauyran

Burner of Worlds
I thought I would dip in and say that in my opinion "neutral" has two different sub-behaviours: indifference and balance. Indifferent neutral means that the person just doesn't care or have an opinion. Balance neutral means that the person actively seeks to balance out the opposing ends of good/evil or law/chaos, possibly doing an evil deed to counter a good one.

SobekRa

Lord of Altera
I do not completely agree with you. A lawful neutral character does not neccessarily follow the Laws of the Silver Crown. He can have his own codex of rules and follow only them, whether they oppose the Laws of the Silver Crown or not.

Menel

Carpet Monkey
I do not completely agree with you. A lawful neutral character does not neccessarily follow the Laws of the Silver Crown. He can have his own codex of rules and follow only them, whether they oppose the Laws of the Silver Crown or not.

waaait.....i thought 'chaotic' chars follow their own set of rules?

lawfull good -> guard of the queen, following the crowns laws
chaotic good -> mercenary trying to get rid of all demons without aprooving the crown

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
I think that we need more radically-opposed groups, individuals and organizations, because if everyone is nice and neutral to each-other, the current RP situation will continue to fall in a boring state where there would be almost no action. I think that even if sometimes it can get hate by some who can't separate real life from IC, there must be more PvP (not talking about physical combat) and less PvE (everyone agaisnt Grief.)

SobekRa

Lord of Altera
As far as I am aware, Chaotic characters follow only their desires or for their gain. While Lawful characters are prone to following the laws of the country they live in, it is not necessarily the case. A lawful neutral character would execute people that he thinks they deserve it on his own, without regard of the current laws.

Menel

Carpet Monkey
I think that we need more radically-opposed groups, individuals and organizations, because if everyone is nice and neutral to each-other, the current RP situation will continue to fall in a boring state where there would be almost no action. I think that even if sometimes it can get hate by some who can't separate real life from IC, there must be more PvP (not talking about physical combat) and less PvE (everyone agaisnt Grief.)

wait...more radical groups?.......not enough?.....are we playing on the same server? <.<

Spear

The Undying Scholar.
Retired Staff
No lawful means following the laws of the silver crown which is the main law of altera, I only differentiate between laws as the Laws of the gods are separate and more to do with being a guardian.

Menel

Carpet Monkey
No lawful means following the laws of the silver crown which is the main law of altera, I only differentiate between laws as the Laws of the gods are separate and more to do with being a guardian.

there is no problem i guess. the soldier of country A can be lawfull as well as the one of country B, even if both countrys fight against each other. after all lawfull has nothing to do with being good or bad.