Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Alignment issues

Sankera

Lord of Altera
In-Game Tech Staff
Lore Staff
Merchant
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Sea_of_Fog
Sea_of_Fog
LegendMerchant
All I wanted to do is show a 5x5 alignment chart so we can go more in depth

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
I think trying to stick morality into any number of categories fails since nobody fits entirely into any single moral class.

Sankera

Lord of Altera
In-Game Tech Staff
Lore Staff
Merchant
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Sea_of_Fog
Sea_of_Fog
LegendMerchant
I think trying to stick morality into any number of categories fails since nobody fits entirely into any single moral class.
At least you give some basic guide lines for your char, it's not 100% right, still it shows some basic aspects

Darko

Lord of Altera
I've always had trouble with Darko's alignment. He's not evil, though some call him evil. He sure as hell isn't good. So that leaves neutral right? But then I think is he chaotic neutral or lawful neutral?

Sometimes I think chaotic neutral. He's violent, has random outbursts, and will do a variety of nefarious deeds to keep his family safe. But a lot of those stem from mental disorders. Primarily his bipolar and depressive disorders. In his heart he wants to be accepted in society, he was a sick child who never got the help he needed. Until a band of pirates took him in, distorting his world views.

So sometimes I think he's lawful neutral. Strong sense of morals, very methodical and neat, hates when plans go awry. And generally wants people to be docile and stop senseless wars. But he hates other civilization's laws. Darko will break a window only if you tell him to never break windows. If you demanded he smashed a window, he would most likely refuse. He has a problem with authority, so he certainly can't be lawful. Right?

So what then? Not good, not evil, not lawful, not chaotic. The biggest descriptive words for him don't fall into any of these. The two words that come to my mind when I think of him aren't "Violent and Badass" "Wealthy and Powerful".
When I think of Darko, all I think is that he is sad and confused. Desperately looking for something or someone he can believe in. Someone to nurture and love him.

Wow... That went off on more of a character study than I intended. What do you think of Darko as? Because I sure as hell don't know.

Sankera

Lord of Altera
In-Game Tech Staff
Lore Staff
Merchant
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Sea_of_Fog
Sea_of_Fog
LegendMerchant
Darko alingment stuff
What about impure? maybe that fits him or maybe Rebel? (not rebel impure, that doesnt fit a pirate)

Axex

Lord of House Hawklight
You never saw Yu-gi-oh Faelin you filthy casul. Just kidding, it was so outrageously bad when I re-watched it, 2/10 don't recommend.

Markisbeest

Lord of Altera
The idea of just a nine system alignment is that it simplifies things in an easy and understandable way upon which you can expand. Nearly tripling the amount of choices is not gonna help the simplifying objective.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
I, personally, hate that expanded chart, because "Social" and "Rebel" absolutely do not fit on the Law/Chaos axis as classically defined and because both axis are supposed to be understood as spectrum, with G/E - L/C defining an alignment plane anyways.

The Courier

Lord of Altera
You can always be like me and go with the "What If?" type of ideal. Where it doesn't matter what anything is your char will react to it in a certain way because of all the different possibilities. Such as, Landir would happily slay for money! What if the person who hired them was evil? He'd slay the contractor and take the money from the contractor's body. What if it was a good person? Landir would expose their dishonest ways. What if they were neutral? Landir would happily slay for money!

Not good, not evil, and not neutral. Merely a "What If?" type of setting. Kinda like what would you do if you found a wallet with no name and a hundred dollars in it? What if it had a name and the hundred dollars? What if it was only ten? "What if?"

Morality is black and white, then grey, then light grey, then dark grey, and then it's sometimes purple. Why? Hell if I know, but that's just how things are in this world. Characters should be just like that.