Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

An Update on Lore - July 2015

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
Good evening, ladies and gents.

To start with, it looks like I have a bit of an apology to make for taking so long to get this announcement to you; apparently having an internet connection with the constitution of a seasick kitten is not at all conducive to releasing public service announcements on an online forum which is, by nature, online.

On the obligatory, artificially floodlit bright side, it does mean that I – in my infinite boredom – have had several days in which to repeatedly spell-check, proof-read, and otherwise incessantly tamper with this thread prior to its release. A disclaimer: there are jokes, and they are awful. Read on at your own risk.

Though, to be serious for a moment, I suppose I should explain what on earth this thread is all about. Since recently having taken up the role of Lore Coordinator, I have been consolidating some aims for the Department and for the server as a whole, and one of those aims is essentially explaining this mission plan to you, the community. This rough prospectus should give you an idea of what is going to be worked on, how I plan for the Department to operate in the near future, as well as (hopefully) answering questions regarding upcoming changes.

So, without further ado, the Lore Prospectus of Aims is as follows:

• Protection of content:

Lore content will be maintained and created to a high degree of quality, continuity, and originality, with no change being made without reasonable IC explanation to support it.​

• Publication of content:

We will ensure the progressive and cohesive public release of all lore that is appropriate to be widely known OOC among the community. This will be undertaken in the interests of preventing metagaming, and retaining an engaging discovery process associated with learning certain aspects of lore in-character.​

• Staff delegation:

Once the writing and publication process begins, tasks may be assigned to (willing!) nominees or volunteers at the Coordinator's request. It is possible that a deadline will accompany a writing task, and work will be subject to reviews, advice and edits as necessary. Other ongoing duties will continue to be assigned in a similar fashion.​

• Player involvement:

Where appropriate, players will be approached for similar contributions as staff, potentially in the form of writing competitions or requests for writers or writing teams for specifically requested topics. In addition to this, players will regain the opportunity to interact with and contribute to the server lore through both IC research and OOC lore submissions in certain areas. Two respective threads will be released detailing what is and is not appropriate for each of these. (T0 be released soon, hold your horses!)​

• Cutting excess:

We will take steps to reduce the amount of superfluous areas of lore which can be supplemented by real Earth entities, most notably flora and fauna. Otherwise, these entries can be overwhelming for new players, have no representation in-game, and see little roleplaying use.​

-

In addition to this, I’m aware that lots of you probably have questions regarding more specific areas of lore – the magic system being the main thing that springs to mind. In the interests of keeping everyone up to date, a bit about this below.

On magic:

Most of you have realised by now that we’ve had a few Magi becoming occupied with real life events, and that the system seems to have become suspiciously quiet. You would be right to notice both of these things, and you would be equally right to wonder what on earth we plan to do about it.

Or rather, what we are already doing about it.

What we are currently working on is rewriting and rebalancing the magical disciplines under slightly changed names, and a new release of primary teachers (some staff, some players) with the aim of successfully producing a second generation of magic users capable of teaching.

Essentially: the old system with a new face, better levelling, more consistent rules, some new teachers, and a good dose of caffeine to set it properly in motion.

Hopefully this will take effect very soon, too – much of the writing has already been drafted within just a few weeks, and despite only getting to know a couple of the writers personally over that short amount of time, I can certainly attest to their ability.

-

So, with my first Lore Update complete, I hope this answers some of your questions and concerns, and I also hope that it explains the need for the more informative thread title. I was thoroughly tempted to go with “Lore and Order”, but – alas! Sense and Dignity did assail me, and I was sore defeated! That and I realised it had the potential to sound a wee bit Stalin, so I thought I should probably give it a miss.

Humour aside once again – I’d like to conclude this thread with a thank you for your patience. Hold on tight for the next couple of threads!

K9

Triangles are my favourite shape
Crafter
Retired Staff
K9_Diarmuid
K9_Diarmuid
Crafter
Das ist natürlich fantastisch!

10/10 would read again.

Read again, still 10/10

-K9

Rosary_Omen

Lord of Altera
Legend
Pronouns
He/Him
Rosary_Omen
Rosary_Omen
Legend
• Staff delegation:

Once the writing and publication process begins, tasks may be assigned to (willing!) nominees or volunteers at the Coordinator's request. It is possible that a deadline will accompany a writing task, and work will be subject to reviews, advice and edits as necessary. Other ongoing duties will continue to be assigned in a similar fashion.​
• Player involvement:

Where appropriate, players will be approached for similar contributions as staff, potentially in the form of writing competitions or requests for writers or writing teams for specifically requested topics. In addition to this, players will regain the opportunity to interact with and contribute to the server lore through both IC research and OOC lore submissions in certain areas. Two respective threads will be released detailing what is and is not appropriate for each of these. (T0 be released soon, hold your horses!)​
*Holds hand up really high to willingly nominate self for helping of the things where possible!*

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
Also on a side note I vote on writing competition for lore updates. Gives everyone a chance to contribute, staff get to pick from multiple sources to see who writes the most cohesive and well written piece and would be fun, this last part is the most important part I feel.

RexJen

Lord of Altera
This is a step in the right direction, I look forward to (hopefully crosses fingers) being part of either helping writing lore or the magi

Tybalt

Lord of Altera
I like the staff Delegate thing aswell. If Possible I would like to help wherever I can when this kicks off :)

Teeke

Lord of Altera
This looks really cool and I'm going to have to properly read it. It alleviates a lot of things that were troubling me, and overall what I briefly read really pleases me.

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
This is a step in the right direction, I look forward to (hopefully crosses fingers) being part of either helping writing lore or the magi
We've got magic covered. Keep your ears out for other lore stuff, though!

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
This looks really cool and I'm going to have to properly read it. It alleviates a lot of things that were troubling me, and overall what I briefly read really pleases me.
You butt.

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
Calm yer mammaries, folks. I know there are plenty of you willing to help - you don't all need to reply with a 'pick me' just yet. ;)

I aim to release the submissions and research threads later today in any case, but until then please hang tight before leaping headfirst into a project that might not be available now/yet.

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
I meant having a magi character, but I will!
Ah, that is a position that requires immense responsibility. We already have those folks working on stuff. If you mean a normal mage... well, best to keep it IC.

MaelstromPuddle

Lord of Altera
Legend
Auralein
Auralein
Legend
The Magi pretty much flat out refused to teach anyone who wasn't their friend OOC in the past. I hope this changes.