Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

An Update Regarding the Swearing Rules

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
Hello HollowWorlders!

It has been a little over three weeks since the relaxation of the swear filter went live. All in all, it has been treated with maturity by most of you. Staff haven't had to moderate OOC and Local chats as much as was feared, and I'm glad to be surprised. However, while the majority of players have used this new freedom tactfully, there are those that have taken it and run far past where it was intended to go and have crossed appropriate boundaries.

Yes, you can say shit and fuck in your RP now. But what has never been tolerated, and will continue to not be tolerated, is sexually explicit language. ERP (Erotic Roleplay) has been banned on the server, and if the sexually explicit language continues, then we will have to start treating said language in the same realm of ERP warnings and bans. I feel that it really shouldn't have to be said, but it seems that a reminder is needed. Talking about genitals, sexually explicit content, etc. is not something we intend to promote on the server. And based on the multiple reports received, it is not something many on the server wish to see either.

Another gentle reminder, while I'm on the topic of swearing- The swears are intended in Roleplay and not OOC. For the most part, you've been fine with that. But don't litter local with swears among your friends when you're in heavily populated areas of roleplay, such as the Crossroads, etc.

You can see the original post regarding the relaxation of the swear filter { here }.

Thanks and keep it classy, friendos.

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
The fact that it extends to only being able to say 'shit' and 'fuck' is the problem to begin with. I could say cock and cunt before, when there was a censor, but not now? I'd rather the censors returned as to how they previously were. There were attempts at being immersive, at least. The new ones are all OOC memes and jokes.

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
cunt becoming 'Kevin' is far less helpful or even appropriate than the previous 'helm'. same for 'I want to be the little spoon' and 'bundle of sticks' for retard and faggot respectively. it feels like a censor from some kiddy game and really takes me out of the immersion.

Centurion

Dark Council Elite
The fact that it extends to only being able to say 'shit' and 'fuck' is the problem to begin with. I could say cock and cunt before, when there was a censor, but not now? I'd rather the censors returned as to how they previously were. There were attempts at being immersive, at least. The new ones are all OOC memes and jokes.
I agree that there should either be reasonably replacing censors or none at all

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
cunt becoming 'Kevin' is far less helpful or even appropriate than the previous 'helm'. same for 'I want to be the little spoon' and 'bundle of sticks' for retard and faggot respectively. it feels like a censor from some kiddy game and really takes me out of the immersion.
You shouldn't be saying faggot to begin with, lmao.

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
Alright, cool.
your post made me think I should elaborate actually - I don't think everything should get uncensored. there are some words that are just too offensive or out of place in a medieval setting. i just think the words that are censored shouldn't have comedy censors.

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
I believe this post has more to do with curbing roleplay and language that veers into the territory of ERP sexually explicit content more than what the swears themselves are changed to. The fact that some words are still censored is indication enough that they're not appropriate for roleplay for various reasons. If they're censored, they shouldn't even be used and therefore, you shouldn't be encountering the immersion breaking swears. It is, perhaps, the purpose of the comedy based filters. Because they just don't belong in RP.

But the intention of the post above, like I said, isn't about what the swears themselves are. It's about the rise in explicit usage. We're asking players to use common sense and avoid inappropriate roleplay. Keep in mind that we do have a younger audience. Whether or not you were okay with certain topics at 14 is irrelevant, because there are others uncomfortable by the tone being set by some players. ERP has always been banned, but with more words becoming available, it seems folks have taken that as permission to use them inappropriately and explicitly more than they had in the past.

If you'd like to debate the nature of the swear filter, the censors words themselves, that debate is always open. But the use of sexually explicit content and an abuse of the relaxed swear filter is something that just really, really shouldn't be happening in the first place.

Of course, reports received will be handled on a case by case basis. But I would rather there not be any reports to have to sift through, as I like to think folks understand the sort of language and tone that's appropriate for our playerbase.

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
So to be safe before I respond, I've overreacted and this doesn't regard situations like calling someone a cock or a twat IC?

If so, I apologise.

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
You are correct.
Sorry, to me it read like 'These words regardless of context are inappropriate and we're cracking down on them' more so than 'ERP is bad, mmkay.'

Basically, don't talk about how you're going to ram your cock into someone, you idiots. I'm amazed a post like this even has to be made.

Last edited:

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Hello HollowWorlders!

It has been a little over three weeks since the relaxation of the swear filter went live. All in all, it has been treated with maturity by most of you. Staff haven't had to moderate OOC and Local chats as much as was feared, and I'm glad to be surprised. However, while the majority of players have used this new freedom tactfully, there are those that have taken it and run far past where it was intended to go and have crossed appropriate boundaries.

Yes, you can say shit and fuck in your RP now. But what has never been tolerated, and will continue to not be tolerated, is sexually explicit language. ERP (Erotic Roleplay) has been banned on the server, and if the sexually explicit language continues, then we will have to start treating said language in the same realm of ERP warnings and bans. I feel that it really shouldn't have to be said, but it seems that a reminder is needed. Talking about genitals, sexually explicit content, etc. is not something we intend to promote on the server. And based on the multiple reports received, it is not something many on the server wish to see either.

Another gentle reminder, while I'm on the topic of swearing- The swears are intended in Roleplay and not OOC. For the most part, you've been fine with that. But don't litter local with swears among your friends when you're in heavily populated areas of roleplay, such as the Crossroads, etc.

You can see the original post regarding the relaxation of the swear filter { here }.

Thanks and keep it classy, friendos.
My sympathies for those that needed to comb Hawkeye.