Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Announcement Regarding the Use of Fly

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
As for the war system itself feel free to make a detailed suggestion and tag Lannis in it.
Everything else said in this post is reasonable but this line is one of the most pointless things I've ever seen staff say.

If you want to retain me for writing war rules you can compensate me the same rate I get for other commissioned writing. I'm not sure why you expect me to both do it for free and then try and give it to someone that cares not a whit.

Lily_

Lord of Altera
Mystic
LillithLil_
LillithLil_
LegendMystic
As for the war system itself feel free to make a detailed suggestion and tag Lannis in it. The war rules themselves are not what this thread is about but dealing with fly abuse reports we've handled and letting everyone on the server be on the same page going forward.
Hah He laugh.

Electric

professionally deranged
Retired Staff
electricwisekid
electricwisekid
Legend
Just allow /dynhide
That opens up wonderful possibilities for people to be places they aren't supposed to be, without people being able to call them out/report. I'd say it would be better if staff would be able to /dynhide players, so that a player can ask a staff for it and give whatever reason they have.

Jazzper

Hi [Unsuspecting Comment], I'm Jazzper
Legend
Blessed
Jasper151627237
Jasper151627237
Legend
Or y'know Staff just freezes Dynmap for the duration of an event, if using /dynhide on others poses a problem
It's been done before

LeftwardElk

Lord of Altera
That opens up wonderful possibilities for people to be places they aren't supposed to be, without people being able to call them out/report. I'd say it would be better if staff would be able to /dynhide players, so that a player can ask a staff for it and give whatever reason they have.
A better way of catching people of doing things that they aren’t supposed to do is looking at their logs. Most people are in places that they shouldn’t be because they look to see where players are.

Ie how to find someone

Electric

professionally deranged
Retired Staff
electricwisekid
electricwisekid
Legend
A better way of catching people of doing things that they aren’t supposed to do is looking at their logs. Most people are in places that they shouldn’t be because they look to see where players are.

Ie how to find someone
There won't be any motivation to check logs if said person can't be seen doing the thing that would prompt log checks, though.

LeftwardElk

Lord of Altera
There won't be any motivation to check logs if said person can't be seen doing the thing that would prompt log checks, though.
Staff mostl catches people when they are reported. It is a undeniable fact that there is a large presence of meta gaming due to the map it’s called the meta map for a reason.

Tohm

Lord of Altera
Everything else said in this post is reasonable but this line is one of the most pointless things I've ever seen staff say.

If you want to retain me for writing war rules you can compensate me the same rate I get for other commissioned writing. I'm not sure why you expect me to both do it for free and then try and give it to someone that cares not a whit.
So you complain about war rules and say that you can fix everything about them, but when staff says "Ok, feel free to offer your suggestion", you get mad and demand payment?

Electric

professionally deranged
Retired Staff
electricwisekid
electricwisekid
Legend
Staff mostl catches people when they are reported. It is a undeniable fact that there is a large presence of meta gaming due to the map it’s called the meta map for a reason.
I do understand your justification for wanting players to have /dynhide. But, I think that players will, at some point, use it for unnecessary or unacceptable reasons. As such, it's a safer bet to have an "ask us first" thing going, where a player can be hid, but has to ask a staff for it and give good reason why. Not only would this let staff keep track of who is hidden when, but it also would prevent people from abusing it. While players can for sure be reported, if that player is hidden and can't be seen? No one knows that they are doing something that should be reported.

LeftwardElk

Lord of Altera
I do understand your justification for wanting players to have /dynhide. But, I think that players will, at some point, use it for unnecessary or unacceptable reasons. As such, it's a safer bet to have an "ask us first" thing going, where a player can be hid, but has to ask a staff for it and give good reason why. Not only would this let staff keep track of who is hidden when, but it also would prevent people from abusing it. While players can for sure be reported, if that player is hidden and can't be seen? No one knows that they are doing something that should be reported.
Wrong. You can see that people are hidden or at least in the sorrows because their name is greyed out on the side. And you can always check on people if you think they are using it for the wrong reasons.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
So you complain about war rules and say that you can fix everything about them, but when staff says "Ok, feel free to offer your suggestion", you get mad and demand payment?
There's nothing incongruous about pointing out problems and offering to fix them in exchange for compensation. That is, in fact, the entire nature of my business as a freelancer.

After all, the Staff team has been quite happy in setting a precedent of exchanging compensation for tasks they are not capable of executing at high quality, such as with mapmaking and plugins.

I think I would have some kind of learning problem if I offered, again, to do something for the staff, unsolicited and for free, that I earn compensation for when I do for others.

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
The only issue with that, Nael, is that staff doesn't get paid. It would be very difficult for them to justify paying you for drafting war rules.

I'm curious what happened to the draft we had, though...

LeftwardElk

Lord of Altera
I feel with war rules you should ask some of the players from all sides before you come out with a complete final document. We weren’t asked anything. And players that actually partake in battles.

Jazzper

Hi [Unsuspecting Comment], I'm Jazzper
Legend
Blessed
Jasper151627237
Jasper151627237
Legend
I think the leaders of the wars make new war rules for each war, because of specific rules and what not

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
I feel with war rules you should ask some of the players from all sides before you come out with a complete final document. We weren’t asked anything. And players that actually partake in battles.
We had some folks from council working on it like two years ago, and were going to open it up for "beta" so we could refine it, iirc. I doubt it would have ever been "final," just various working versions. I imagine it's just been lost. :(

That said, I know folks think this rule is dumb, but it is just stronger consequences for rules we already have. Hard to enforce, sure, but that's not most of our problems~ Although screenshots always help.

LeftwardElk

Lord of Altera
We had some folks from council working on it like two years ago, and were going to open it up for "beta" so we could refine it, iirc. I doubt it would have ever been "final," just various working versions. I imagine it's just been lost. :(

That said, I know folks think this rule is dumb, but it is just stronger consequences for rules we already have. Hard to enforce, sure, but that's not most of our problems~ Although screenshots always help.
The server has changed a lot from two years ago.

Electric

professionally deranged
Retired Staff
electricwisekid
electricwisekid
Legend
Wrong. You can see that people are hidden or at least in the sorrows because their name is greyed out on the side. And you can always check on people if you think they are using it for the wrong reasons.
That's just additional work that is unneeded. Why go through the hassle of looking up who is hidden, then messaging them about "hey hm what are you up to?" when instead you can just have that problem solved from the get go? There is no need for people to be suspicious of hidden people if the only way they can be hidden is by telling staff why they want to be hidden. The only reason that I can think of for one being opposed to having staff control hidden privileges would be if they think staff will metagame or if they want to abuse the hidden command.

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
That’s like saying America hasn’t changed much because we still can’t find a solution to health care.
Look, kid, all I was saying was that there is a starting point somewhere that you can work off of if anyone wants to go find it. You don't need Lannis, if he's not around or responding to things, you just really need Solus to give her blessing. Don't come at me and expect to make sense if you ignore the entire gist of what I was getting at. And when what I see are the same damn stupid arguments that people were having when I left, maybe that means those things haven't changed in ways that other things (plugins) have. I'd say they haven't one bit, when people are grumps about staff strictly enforcing an existing rule during wars.

Also, we haven't changed in dramatic ways, no. It's the same fight every four years. Your argument is invalid.