Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Armour to Consider

ThadTheDinger

Loyal Servant of Altera
I'd raise my hand and worry over the whole 'Plate mail is easy to move around in'. That's a very sweeping generality. Plate-mail went through phases of development like every other piece of armour in this thread. It depends on the quality of the steel used, the thickness of the plate, whether or not you use mail underneath the plate to protect the joints... yeah. Lots of stuff.

Sorry to bash it right off, don't take it to heart. I'm really enjoying these threads and really hopeful that people who read it are gonna start being different. The idea is so exciting! Excellent work again MrPolo!

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
You're actually correct on this one, however plate armour used for combat was generally very mobile. And yes, I am aware of my generalisation as this thread is intended just for that.
However, for instance jousting plate armour was hardly mobile at all, because it wasn't intended to be. It was, however, extremely thick.

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
I was doing the helmets...
But then accidentally pressed the wrong button...

I'll have to try again today :p

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
I'd say that while iron armour according to our texture pack isn't really that much of a proper plate armour, diamond armour should be made into steel looking, making it a plate armour :p

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
Nope I like the armor just how it is :I
There is a fantasy aspect to this game ya know.
And Diamond armor is possible.

Goldengem25

The Kingdom Crusher
Yeah, probably just really expensive >.> Infact, my dad actually works in a diamond drilling company, but the diamonds are sort of... Industrial ones.

Spark

Broken
Just keep it as diamond, as legion said it is fantasy, diamonds aren't that expensive in Altera so the armour is not that expensive to make.

King Oguk

Earthspawn King
still false. Diamond does not shatter like glass.
First of all, that statement is ambiguous anyway, because there are a million different kinds of glass.
Secondly, glass is an amorphous solid/supercooled liquid. Diamond is an extremely sturdy covalent network solid.
Not at all the same. Glass fractures under pressure because the structure throughout is different. (of course, all things shatter with enough pressure)
Diamond on the other hand behaves more like a crystal: its easier to cut than shatter.

If you could place small diamond plates onto normal armor (to maintain mobility) it would be pretty effective. And fairly light.
Just REALLY bloody expensive.
This is why I stalk... I mean follow you.

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
This thread is hella old, and I was a bit of an idiot when making it. But no, leather and studded leather should not be considered as an effective form of protection at all, unless the leather is boiled or it's used as backing for actual armour. There were some other examples but I'm doubtful as to their usefulness, especially considering just how bloody rare they are. Cuir bouilli is an example of a boiled leather coat, and it seemed relatively effective in the English Civil War and later. I believe mostly to protect against sword cuts, where I can see a thick leather doing okay.
Furthermore studded leather exists only in Dungeons and Dragons, and is probably caused by confusion as to the design of a coat of plates or a brigandine. The material is on the outside and is riveted to meta plates on the inside, which gives it a 'studded' appearance.

This is a replica of one of the Wisby coats of plates. I should add here, that they were very rarely made out of leather. Modern reproductions often use leather for some bizarre reason, but in reality they were usually a material, like wool, linen, or silk, or a mixture of the lot. I have a few ideas about why using leather for this is stupid: first, leather is very difficult to repair. Unlike materials that you can just sew together, leather has to have holes punched in order to actually sew. Furthermore leather is an extremely expensive material in this period, especially in such a large sheet, and if you're willing to shell out this much money on leather why not just put silk over wool or have the material decorated? That's actually the third point: leather isn't easy to decorate. You can't weave in heraldry or intricate decorations, and in late 13th and early 14th centuries when coats of plates were used that's important. Brigandines are generally considered to be later coats of plates that are given more shape, akin to one-piece cuirasses.

Butted mail should not be an option either. Ever since its invention in Europe mail was riveted. Butted mail is an artefact of the orient. I believe some Ottoman armours may have been butted, but in general everything was riveted, welded or stamped in Europe. Back then mostly riveted and welded, and riveted would make the bulk of the links. As to the specifics it changed between time periods, giving historians a nice time frame for most mail armour. That doesn't mean to say that, as incorrectly has been said in that doc, butted mail was bad. It was far worse than riveted, but it'll protect you in a pinch. You'll probably still be safe from a cut, though a thrust might bend the links if thin enough.

I generally take issue with trying to quantify resistance of armour, mostly because tests on this subject have often been very biased in one way or another. This thread could probably do with reworking too, but I can't really be bothered.