Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Artwork Competition - Here be dragons!

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
Gooood evening, ladles and jellyspoons.

All right, you heard me. The mysterious artwork commission-competition-shenanigan I mentioned in the recent Lore Review is ready for launch, and your resident Lore Coordinator is going to tell you aaaall about it.

Many of you will have already seen the fantastic artwork by Michcat and Daccoutts, commissioned to represent the Drake and Dragon subspecies of Naelwyn's lore on the dragons which once lived in the First Realm of Altera before they gradually and mysteriously faded to extinction.

If you haven't already had a read, shame on you you can find the dragons thread under the World section of the Official Lore forum, where it is listed under Flora and Fauna. Alternatively, those among us prone to sudden and serious bouts of idleness can follow this very convenient link: {Here be dragons!}

The Brief

Now, these dragons leave the Lore Department with a little bit of a conundrum. Before, you'll recall, I mentioned two dragon subspecies for which we have artwork, but if you take a look at the thread, you will notice a third variety: the Wyrm.

Therefore, in essence, we are asking for a coloured, digital piece of artwork of a similar size to the two pieces already posted on the dragons thread. The image should show just the dragon in any pose you like (provided it's PG13 and not too strange... I've seen some of these art threads). Ideally, the background will be dark and there should be no scenery.

Artists should bear in mind the physical description of the Wyrm, which was strongly influenced by images of Asiatic dragons, and can be found in the extract below:

Wyrms are the wise, refined dragons.

Their bodies are long and tubular, like a train or a subway car. They lack wings, instead having long dorsal fins that undulate. They fly magically through the air like an oarfish in water.

They may have whiskers on their face, and they have two short, almost vestigial arms, that also end in the three-claw-plus-thumb structure of the larger dragons.

If forced into a physical confrontation they are liable to squeeze and constrict like a python or slam with their massive tails.

Their skin is almost like an exoskeleton, hard and chitinous, and they shed and molt it as they grow larger.

The Reward

Nothing like an incentive to spice things up a bit. Straight to the point, rewards for the winning artists will be offered as follows:

First place - 15k radiants, and your artwork permanently displayed on the lore thread.
Runners up (x2) - 5k radiants each, and your artwork credited as a runner up in the results thread.

+ TO ENTER +
When you are satisfied that you have completed your entry, simply attach the image to a forum message sent to myself (Faelin) and Somnastra by Sunday 14th February 2016. Judging will take place within the staff team and results will be posted within the week, so don't be late!

If you have any questions regarding the artwork brief, conditions of the competition, or anything else, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best of luck to all entrants!

Last edited:

Cukie1

Essentially a Chihuahua
Aware Single
Legend
Pronouns
She/Her
Cukie1
Cukie1
Single
May I post the pre-draft I have before uploading to digital?

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
Too bad it has to be digital and coloured :(
So sad :( Had this draft laying around from years ago, which I could draw way better now I've practiced drawing a few years :/
IMAG0159.jpg
Can't wait for a commission that I'm eligible to enter :/ Can't do digital and logo's >.<

Shelly5

Lord of Altera
Alright, it went to this. I am going to finish it, altough I have feeling we got winner alredy.

Attachments

Last edited:

Elz

hmm
Events Staff
Very Sweet
Staff
did i do all the things required

im also too lazy to colour or refine heh

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
A reminder to all applicants!

Entries will only be considered if they have been sent to myself (Faelin) and Somnastra via a forum conversation by Sunday 14th February.

To increase your chances of success, be sure to read the brief and Wyrm lore carefully before submitting.

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
A reminder to all applicants!

Entries will only be considered if they have been sent to myself (Faelin) and Somnastra via a forum conversation by Sunday 14th February.

To increase your chances of success, be sure to read the brief and Wyrm lore carefully before submitting.
Your wish is my command Cherry you have your winner in your inbox now ;)

Now to let other folks see the glory of my official entry I shall post here.
HW Wyrm Troll 2.png

As you can see Sir Wyrm is lore compliant and doing so in style. He has two vestigial arms that, that end in three fingers and an opposable thumb allowing him to manipulate objects such as a pipe and pimp cane with ease. Also a long snout and whiskers that he adorns with a monocle and top hat on his head to make it clear to other wyrms just how high up the social status ladder he is. His long sinuous body has undulating fins that allow him freedom of movement.