Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Blacklists, Whitelists, and Preventing Roleplay

Elz

hmm
Events Staff
Very Sweet
Staff
There has been an issue in the past several months or more, that introduced the idea of 'blacklisting' a player from a particular region for specifically OOC reasons. While at the time this may seem like a good idea, to stop them from coming to your region and preventing them from bothering you at all, if this rule applies to a growing number of people it gets far more personal and stirs the hate or dislike that was present in the first place.
I'm going to give some reasons to why it's a bad idea, but I'm also going to say now that these black(or white) lists are no longer permitted on Hollowworld. If you have a problem with a player, report it. Peaceful and Moderate regions have a particular set up that prevents players from going ham in your regions anyway. If you want your town to not be public knowledge, then I'd suggest removing your markers and ports and making it strictly 'out the way' to limit people (as you would in roleplay, regarding carts or ships) from making their way to your town.

+ It's hard to moderate. When someone decides they want to 'ban' an entire group of players from their region, including limiting them to any events there or roleplay, staff should not (and, will not, after this is posted) have to sort through issues that should have been directly brought to staff in the first place, or handled via roleplay if it is an IC problem at hand. This issue amplifies when there are multiple groups, all trying to give lists of players they dont want there, for whatever reason.

+ It's limiting roleplay. Yes, this much is obvious, but perhaps you do not consider new players having the issue that this re-enforces - Cliques. Keeping players out so you and your friends can stay in your region is disregarding the community as a whole, and while I agree that people are entitled to their own private roleplay, there are many ways to go about that instead of severing a regions ties to anyone outside of it. A private estate in the middle of nowhere is going to be just that, if you have a town or a city that is frequently visited, then no.

+ It opens the opportunity for 'drama storms' and upsets. If you are OOCly banning players from going to your region, it's personal. People can and will take things personally if it regards them as a person, not their character, no longer being permitted to go somewhere - And they generally do not know why so are left to assume. This kind of thing tends to fester. Sort issues out between one another and bring in a staff member if you so desire, as I've said repeatedly by now.

That said, region owners can choose who can live there, what their laws are, what punishments may be to 'outsiders', they can have gates and walls that are closed off, they can make it be a place people cannot actively access with no main routes or directions, etc etc. They can avoid people coming to them by roleplaying it, not limiting people OOCly, and that is what this server is about. Lets not push for more bitterness.

Bitann

It took a lot to get here
Wow I had no idea this was an issue in the first place. This sounds really good so thanks! :)

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
+ It's limiting roleplay. Yes, this much is obvious, but perhaps you do not consider new players having the issue that this re-enforces - Cliques. Keeping players out so you and your friends can stay in your region is disregarding the community as a whole, and while I agree that people are entitled to their own private roleplay, there are many ways to go about that instead of severing a regions ties to anyone outside of it. A private estate in the middle of nowhere is going to be just that, if you have a town or a city that is frequently visited, then no.
Not one of the banned people so I will give my imho objective two cents - none directed at Elz, but whoever is the person in question:

I agree with elz on the issue that it is limiting RP, when done OOC.
I will actually go further and think that staff is rather nice on this issue as there is really just a very very thin line to RP dodging here.

That being said if you guys really want to be IC and OOC safe from unwelcome visitors build walls around your towns and close the gates and keep them closed. You won't be able to have a peaceful region anymore then but thats the price to pay.
Banning people from your town IC is imho fine but you have to live with the consequences of that action too.
(For example the guy could be a noble Lord of Anhald and walz over your defenses ;) )