Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Book recommendation thread

Moochick

The Very Best, That No One Ever Was
Title : Fifty Shades of Grey
Genre : Action/Adventure/Romance
Length of book : Enough
Series or one book : Series of a few books.
Details : A story of a world where people have the ability to manipulate colors. One boy has the ability to manipulate the color grey and must save the world with his power and his friend who can manipulate yellow!
Extra : True story bro...

Moochick

The Very Best, That No One Ever Was
Before people blame me for lose of innocence (again) the previous post was a joke. Don't do it man, not even once.

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
There is actually a book just called "Shades of Grey" about a dystopian world where rank is defined by how much colour people can see.

Tarron

Lord of Altera
Title : Anthem by Ayn Rand
Genre : Science Fiction
Length of book : 128 pages
Series or one book : One book
Details : Anthem is set in a dystopian time period where the Human population is subdued, controlled, and has all individuality taken away from them. It chronicles one man's quest to find 'the individual'.
Extra : I love this book, it is a really interesting display of Human determination. Check it out, it's a short read!

Title : Philosophical Dictionary by Voltaire
Genre : Philosophy
Length of book : 403 pages
Details : Arguments on certain topics based on the author's personal opinion.
Extra : This book contains a lot of anti religion writing, but that is not why I am recommending it. I am recommending it because it is interesting (to me) to read about someone who would write this in an extremely pro religion time (historical context, blah blah). I think it is neat to see him trying to do a David vs. Goliath type of thing, based on the time period.

Squidziod

Kid Charlemagne
Mystic
Retired Owner
Squidziod
Squidziod
LegendMystic
Title : 1984, by George Orwell
Genre : Dystopian, Social Science Fiction
Length of book : 300 pages
Series or one book : One Book
Details : The world of 1984 is one in which eternal warfare is the price of bleak prosperity, in which the Party keeps itself in power by complete control over man's actions and his thoughts.
Extra : This book contains some rather disturbing, but compelling points about the nature of society and government. I know many have read this book, but if you ave not it is a truly interesting book.

Soccernut13

Lord of Altera
I'm surprised no one has suggested this book yet. :p It's by far the best book I've ever read. Better than the Hunger Games, and Gone series. (Though the Gone series is quite good.)

Title ( only needed if recommending books ) : The Maze Runner, By James Dashner
Genre : Young-Adult, Dystopian Future, Science Fiction, and another genre, but it would spoil it a bit...
Length of book : 300-400 pages each.
Series or one book : A series. The Maze Runner, Scorch Trials, The Death cure, and then the Kill Order.

Details: When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls. Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every 30 days a new boy has been delivered in the lift. Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers. Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.

Extra : As soon as I started reading the series, I honestly couldn't stop. The book series is brilliantly plotted, guaranteed to blow your mind, and has a smooth flow to it when reading the book. There is never a good spot to stop reading the book. I finished each book in about one to two days. Depending how busy I was.

krazy4golf

Loyal Servant of Altera
Title ( only needed if recommending books ) : The Pathfinder Series, Orson Scott Card
Genre : Young-Adult, fantasy, Science Fi
Length of book : 672 pages each.
Series or one book Pathfinder Ruins... more to come

Really good series but a bit lengthy. if you finish a book it will be well worth it. relatively new series (PF 2010 Ruins 2012)
basically the whole concept is around time time traveling speeding up time and all of that. Exilent sereis and i hope you cheak it out

MissGreenway

Villager
Title: Divergent (by Veronica Roth)
Genre: Dystopian (gotta love a bit of dystopian ;3)
Length of book: It's around 400 pages.
Series or one book: It'll be a trilogy, completed in... ohmygosh eighteen days until the third book is released :D It's also being made into a movie; they've finished filming now and two trailers are out :3 The movie's released in March 2014.
Details: So, in the future, a city is divided in to five factions: Candor who value honesty, Amity who value peace, Abnegation who value selflessness, Erudite who value intelligence and Dauntless who value bravery. Up until the age of sixteen, you must stay in the faction that you are born into, and when you're sixteen, you are given the choice of which faction you would like to spend the rest of your life in. This could mean leaving your entire family. On the day before the Choosing Ceremony, each sixteen year old takes an aptitude test. It's a virtual test, where they are presented with various situations regarding the values of each faction, and have to do what they would do to solve them. When the test is over, they are told which faction they are most suited for. Most people have an aptitude for only one faction. And in this society, having an aptitude for only one faction is acceptable. Any more than one... you are in danger. It's called being Divergent.
Now, as you can probably imagine, our main character (sixteen year old Tris) is divergent.
The aptitude test does not affect your choice at the Choosing Ceremony, but can offer some much needed guidance.
Once you have selected your faction, weeks of grueling initiation awaits to test your physical, mental and emotional suitability to that faction.
(Oh gosh, I'm rambling. I'll stop now, but seriously it's an absolutely amazing read. It really relates to real life, too :3).

Deash12

Coffee Enthusiast
Title : Metro 2033
Genre : Sci-Fi, Philosophical, Dystopian.
Length of book : 458
Series or one book : Series, "Metro 2034" And soon to release "Metro 2035"
Details : If ye've played the games, you get the gist. ( Lemme read off the back of the book. )
"In 2013 the world was devastated by an apocalyptic event, annihilating almost all mankind and turning the Earth's surface into a poisonous wasteland. A handful of survivors took refuge in the depths of the Moscow underground, and human civilization entered a new Dark Age. The year is 2033, an entire generation has been born and raised underground, and their besieged Metro Station-Cities struggle for survival, with each other, and the mutant horrors that await outside. Artyom was born in the last days before the fire. Having never ventured beyond his Metro Station-City limits, one fateful event sparks a desperate mission to the heart of the Metro system, to warm remnants of mankind pf a terrible impending threat. His journey takes him from the forgotten catacombs beneath the subway, to the desolate wastelands above, where his actions will determine the fate of mankind."
Extra : If you have played the game(s) I highly recommend the book, it's ten times better than the game.. (s)
There are some pretty deep things in the book, which are -reealllyy- nice. ( Philosophical wise- )
NOTE: The book was originally written in Russian, there are slight grammatical/spelling errors.

"Even the Apocalypse didn't stop us from fighting over Ideology."

Tarron

Lord of Altera
Title : Watchmen
Genre : Superhero (Graphic Novel)
Length of book : 448
Details : Watchmen chronicles a group of superheroes. I don't want to go much further than that, but the novel is better than the movie if you have seen that, IMO.

Title : Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu
Genre : Philosophy/Inspiration
Length of book : My copy is 164 pages, but only half of them are filled with complete writings.
Details : This book is only interesting if you're a cheesy guy, or girl, like me. It is a collection of short meditations about the Tao, or just human nature, and the world in general. It's neat if you read it as someone from the time it was written, and how the writings would have been interpreted by people at the time.

PitaChipBoi

Lord of Altera
Nut_Jooce
Nut_Jooce
Title: The Gone Series
Genre : Uhm.. Little bit of horror, fiction, uh..
Length of book : 500+
Series or one book : Series: Gone, Hunger, Lies, Plague, Fear and Light, in order.
Details : I can't say much without giving the plot away, but I'll try- due to a strange order of events, the small town of Perdido Beach is enclosed by a giant, impenetrable, unexplainable, blue dome. All the people inside over the age of 15 have disappeared, and once you reach that age, you do too. You take the poof. Kids are all that's left, and the area inside the dome is nicknamed The FAYZ, Fallout Alley Youth Zone. When some start to develop strange, mutant powers, things take a turn. Sam, Quinn and Astrid are determined to survive the new world, and unwittingly, Sam is voted as the guy to help everyone else survive too. But his 15th birthday is coming soon, and there may be more evil inside the FAYZ than expected..
Extra : I started reading this series when there was only one book, and having read each book as they come out, I can tell you, it is an amazing, intelligent, cleverly woven series.

Note: Contains scenes of violence and cruelty. Recommended mature audience. 13 (stretching it) and up.
I was just about to recommend this, I'm currently reading Fear.

KatyKookie

Lord of Altera
Personally, I like a few types of books.
I've read many, but I think my fav so far is the Frey series. It was like ridiculously cheap on the Kindle Store (some are even free)
http://www.amazon.com/Frey-Saga-Boo...EX6_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1417181495&sr=1-1

Title ( only needed if recommending books ) : Frey
Genre : Fantasy/Elves/Magic
Length of book : 246 pages
Series or one book : The one I explain here is book one of (I think 3 plus an extra backstory?)
Details : Unaware she's been bound from using magic, Frey leads a small, miserable life in the village where she's sent after the death of her mother. But a tiny spark starts a fury of changes and she finds herself running from everything she's ever known.
Hunted by council for practicing dark magic, she is certain she's been wrongfully accused. She flees, and is forced to rely on strangers for protection. But the farther she strays from home, the more her magic and forgotten memories return and she begins to suspect all is not as it seems.
Extra : From my interpretation (still reading the book series) it's about elves, fighting and training, magic, love, passion and fantasy lore. (There's a kindling love story that makes you go OMG. JUST GET TOGETHER ALREADY) but it's not like Oh urgh, Twilight ew romance, it's like.. hm there's something obviously going on there and she's an idiot for not seeing it.
It adds and it's inticing.

Deathmoron

Lord of Altera
Title : Song of Albion
Genre : Science Fiction / Fantasy/ Historic Fiction
Length of book : 39 Chapters, each book.
Series or one book : The series has three books.
Details : An Oxford University student crosses into a dimension of Celtic lore to find his friend, but gets ends up helping the kingdom and it's bards.
Extra : Books include:
  1. The Paradise War
  2. The Silver Hand
  3. The Endless Knot

Heckrawel

Villager
Genre- fantasy
Series- the inheritance cycle, or better known as eragon
Length- 600-800 depending on the book.
Series- 4 books
Details- eragon finds a special "rock" in book one, and uses the creature thay escapes from it to fight the evil Galbatorix with an army. Sorry it's really vauge but I dont want to give anything away. It has magic and dragons and swords and pure awesomeness. Read them.
The inheritance cycle is an amazing series, I've read the whole group of books multiple times over. Paolini is a flawless author, He's what got me into fantasy books and the rp scene.

PitaChipBoi

Lord of Altera
Nut_Jooce
Nut_Jooce
*Goes to Barnes and Nobles and buys 3 500 page books*
{These should last me a day or two...}
... Oh god, what have I become! I can't stop reading!

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
There is actually a book just called "Shades of Grey" about a dystopian world where rank is defined by how much colour people can see.
.... And that one I will check out.