Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Book recommendation thread

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
Personally, I like a few types of books.
I've read many, but I think my fav so far is the Frey series. It was like ridiculously cheap on the Kindle Store (some are even free)
http://www.amazon.com/Frey-Saga-Boo...EX6_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1417181495&sr=1-1

Title ( only needed if recommending books ) : Frey
Genre : Fantasy/Elves/Magic
Length of book : 246 pages
Series or one book : The one I explain here is book one of (I think 3 plus an extra backstory?)
Details : Unaware she's been bound from using magic, Frey leads a small, miserable life in the village where she's sent after the death of her mother. But a tiny spark starts a fury of changes and she finds herself running from everything she's ever known.
Hunted by council for practicing dark magic, she is certain she's been wrongfully accused. She flees, and is forced to rely on strangers for protection. But the farther she strays from home, the more her magic and forgotten memories return and she begins to suspect all is not as it seems.
Extra : From my interpretation (still reading the book series) it's about elves, fighting and training, magic, love, passion and fantasy lore. (There's a kindling love story that makes you go OMG. JUST GET TOGETHER ALREADY) but it's not like Oh urgh, Twilight ew romance, it's like.. hm there's something obviously going on there and she's an idiot for not seeing it.
It adds and it's inticing.
Gotted

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
*cracks knuckles* I have books for this. But lots. So many lots. Will come back later.

Paint

Lord of Altera
Frosty
Retired Staff
ShadowAdmin
ShadowAdmin
Frosty
Ima just suggest the book i'm reading currently, as I am really enjoying the story.

Title :
The Falcon Throne
Author : Karen Miller
Genre : Fantasy
Length of book : 674 pages
Series of books or Individual book : First book in series
Detailed description ( No spoilers ) : The book is about a kingdom divided by Lords desiring power of the realm and to sit on the Falcon Throne, it has four different character POV's to tell the story.
Extra details : Its awesome~

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
You mean to say you didn't check out the other? B-but... it's actually terrible- >_> NOT THAT I KNOW I HAVE FRIENDS AND STUFF BLAME SKYPE!
Not the Twilight fanfic, no. The dystopian novel. I'm a sucker for those.

Rosary_Omen

Lord of Altera
Legend
Pronouns
He/Him
Rosary_Omen
Rosary_Omen
Legend
*Clears throat and steps onto soapbox*

Title : Mournful Strings
Author : Rosary Omen (Me!)
Genre : Young Adult
Length of book : 219 pages (Just over 50k words)
Series of books or Individual book : The Ordis Cam Chronicles - Book 1
Detailed description ( No spoilers ) : I'll just use the blurb.

Nine has lived his life as a nobody.

His family didn't want him and he has always had to fend for himself. He never had any money, and he never knew what happiness was.

With little things to go by as far as life went, he knew one thing was for certain. He had to survive. As he goes through years of fending for himself, eating food off of the streets and out of dumpsters he learned to rely on only himself.

One day he is taken away from everything he'd ever known.

Now he has to learn all over again.

Extra details : If you do read it, please, please leave me feedback! I thrive on it like a sunflower thrives on the sunlight. Link is in my signature.

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
There is actually a book just called "Shades of Grey" about a dystopian world where rank is defined by how much colour people can see.
Ohmygod, YOU DIDN'T TELL ME THIS WAS A JASPER FFORDE NOVEL!!

ForestRose

The rosiest of forests.
ForestRose
ForestRose
The short "Stargirl" series by Jerry Spinelli. The first book is so.. consistent, the ending of it honestly cracked my heart a little bit; unusual because I don't normally go for these 'sappy' books.

The first is from the perspective of Leo Borlock, which I loved because you really got the intense feeling of 'othering' and although it was from Leo's perspective, you could still feel that Stargirl was the main character.

'From the day she arrives at quiet Mica High in a burst of color and sound, hallways hum “Stargirl.” She captures Leo Borlock’s heart with one smile. She sparks a school-spirit revolution with one cheer. The students of Mica High are enchanted. Until they are not. Leo urges her to become the very thing that can destroy her - normal.'

Following on from the original story, the ending links so very well with the start of the next book "Love, Stargirl" which features a letter from Susan (Stargirl) to Leo Borlock.

"Love, Stargirl" picks up a year after Stargirl ends and reveals the new life of the beloved character who moved away so suddenly at the end of Stargirl. The novel takes the form of "the world's longest letter," in diary form, going from date to date through a little more than a year's time. In her writing, Stargirl mixes memories of her bittersweet time in Mica, Arizona, with involvements with new people in her life.

“She laughed when there was no joke. She danced when there was no music.
She had no friends, yet she was the friendliest person in school.
In her answers in class, she often spoke of sea horses and stars, but she did not know what a football was...
She was elusive. She was today. She was tomorrow. She was the faintest scent of a cactus flower, the flitting shadow of an elf owl. We did not know what to make of her. In our minds we tried to pin her to a corkboard like a butterfly, but the pin merely went through and away she flew.”
Jerry Spinelli, Stargirl

“It's in the morning, for most of us. It's that time, those few seconds when we're coming out of sleep but we're not really awake yet. For those few seconds we're something more primitive than what we are about to become. We have just slept the sleep of our most distant ancestors, and something of them and their world still clings to us. For those few moments we are unformed, uncivilized. We are not the people we know as ourselves, but creatures more in tune with a tree than a keyboard. We are untitled, unnamed, natural, suspended between was and will be, the tadpole before the frog, the worm before the butterfly. We are for a few brief moments, anything and everything we could be. And then...and then -- ah -- we open our eyes and the day is before us and ... we become ourselves.”
Jerry Spinelli, Stargirl

HogoShi_Kitsune

Lord of Altera
Legend
HogoShi_Kitsune
HogoShi_Kitsune
Legend
Title : "Half-Life: Hero Beggining"
Author : Original author lost to the depths of the internet
Genre : Sci-Fi/Action
Length of book : One page
Series of books or Individual book : Individual
Detailed description ( No spoilers ) : "In the future, the world was dark and scarry. One day Combines came and noone knew why. Combines were robot things that weren't robots with ugly faces and somethimes glowing eyes and slaved people in the city and made them angry and sad. Henry Freeman who was living in the city and with his mom said 'Mom, why are combines here?' and she said 'Henry Freeman Combines are from science and outter space and hate humans.'

Henry Freeman really hated combines because they beat everyone up and Henry Freeman hated it..."
Extra details : A very funny fanfiction that you can find here https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4869457/1/Halflife-Hero-Beggining

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
Title : "Half-Life: Hero Beggining"
Author : Original author lost to the depths of the internet
Genre : Sci-Fi/Action
Length of book : One page
Series of books or Individual book : Individual
Detailed description ( No spoilers ) : "In the future, the world was dark and scarry. One day Combines came and noone knew why. Combines were robot things that weren't robots with ugly faces and somethimes glowing eyes and slaved people in the city and made them angry and sad. Henry Freeman who was living in the city and with his mom said 'Mom, why are combines here?' and she said 'Henry Freeman Combines are from science and outter space and hate humans.'

Henry Freeman really hated combines because they beat everyone up and Henry Freeman hated it..."
Extra details : A very funny fanfiction that you can find here https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4869457/1/Halflife-Hero-Beggining
*points to the title of the thread*

Exosferik

Storm's Landing Wanderer
Ok, some recommendations from me...dunno how accessible should be some of these present days, but here you go - these pieces shaped my life:

Title: The Man Who Planted Trees
Author: Jean Giono
Genre: Biography, personal bible - hard to categorize
Lenght: Really short
Description: Short story on a man who decided to plant a trees(surprisingly). Describes how powerful can a single individual become when he is determined to do good and creative deeds. (Must read for every Shalherana enthusiastics :D)

Title: City
Author: Clifford Donald Simak
Genre: Sci-fi (on the edge between golden-age and cyberpunk)
Lenght: cca 200p
Description: " These are the stories that the Dogs tell when the fires burn high and the wind is from the north. Then each family circle gathers at the hearthstone and the pups sit silently and listen and when the story's done they ask many questions: "What is Man?" they'll ask. Or perhaps: "What is a city?" Or: "What is a war?" There is no positive answer to any of these questions. There are suppositions and there are theories and there are many educated guesses, but there are no answers."
-excerpt from preface tells it pretty well i guess.

Title: The Sea and Poison (or random book from this author)
Author: Shusaku Endo
Genre: Drama
Lenght: cca 200p.
Description: If you ever wondered what could one extraordinary Japanese doctor do during WWII you have a right book in front of you. Beware this piece is touching and tough. Not for everyone, but you will remember it.

Title: Wild Sheep Chase
Author: Haruki Murakami
Genre: Eeh - I am not gonna even try, but it is present days and a bit surrealistic.
Description:
"This mock-detective tale follows an unnamed Japanese man through Tokyo and Hokkaidō in 1978. The passive, chain-smoking main character gets swept away on an adventure that leads him on a hunt for a sheep that has not been seen for year." And this is only the first weird thing on this book...It is just weird as a whole..hard to describe - Read it!

Title: Roadside Picnic (or random book from these authors)
Author: A.&B. Strugatsky
Genre: Social Sci-fi
Lenght: 150p.
Description: Imagine how magical and mysterious must come leftovers from picnic to an ant. Now imagine We are the ants and leftovers came from super-evolved alien civilization. What would you do? Stalks in, take the best pieces and get out before some weird anomaly torn you in pieces - Yeah that´s the Roadside Picnic about.

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
Ok, some recommendations from me...dunno how accessible should be some of these present days, but here you go - these pieces shaped my life:

Title: The Man Who Planted Trees
Author: Jean Giono
Genre: Biography, personal bible - hard to categorize
Lenght: Really short
Description: Short story on a man who decided to plant a trees(surprisingly). Describes how powerful can a single individual become when he is determined to do good and creative deeds. (Must read for every Shalherana enthusiastics :D)

Title: City
Author: Clifford Donald Simak
Genre: Sci-fi (on the edge between golden-age and cyberpunk)
Lenght: cca 200p
Description: " These are the stories that the Dogs tell when the fires burn high and the wind is from the north. Then each family circle gathers at the hearthstone and the pups sit silently and listen and when the story's done they ask many questions: "What is Man?" they'll ask. Or perhaps: "What is a city?" Or: "What is a war?" There is no positive answer to any of these questions. There are suppositions and there are theories and there are many educated guesses, but there are no answers."
-excerpt from preface tells it pretty well i guess.

Title: The Sea and Poison (or random book from this author)
Author: Shusaku Endo
Genre: Drama
Lenght: cca 200p.
Description: If you ever wondered what could one extraordinary Japanese doctor do during WWII you have a right book in front of you. Beware this piece is touching and tough. Not for everyone, but you will remember it.

Title: Wild Sheep Chase
Author: Haruki Murakami
Genre: Eeh - I am not gonna even try, but it is present days and a bit surrealistic.
Description:
"This mock-detective tale follows an unnamed Japanese man through Tokyo and Hokkaidō in 1978. The passive, chain-smoking main character gets swept away on an adventure that leads him on a hunt for a sheep that has not been seen for year." And this is only the first weird thing on this book...It is just weird as a whole..hard to describe - Read it!

Title: Roadside Picnic (or random book from these authors)
Author: A.&B. Strugatsky
Genre: Social Sci-fi
Lenght: 150p.
Description: Imagine how magical and mysterious must come leftovers from picnic to an ant. Now imagine We are the ants and leftovers came from super-evolved alien civilization. What would you do? Stalks in, take the best pieces and get out before some weird anomaly torn you in pieces - Yeah that´s the Roadside Picnic about.
You. I like you. You had me at referencing Golden Age-

PitaChipBoi

Lord of Altera
Nut_Jooce
Nut_Jooce
Title : Warriors (entire series)
Author : Erin Hunter
Genre : ? Intelligent Cats Adventure Mystery Action ?
Length of book : Like 300 pages
Series of books or Individual book : Series (1st is Into the Woods)
Detailed description ( No spoilers ) : About cats in the woods fightin and stuff in believin in cats and stuff. It is for younger readers (like 12-15) but I still think it's a good read
Extra details : Cats.

Title : The 5th Wave
Author : Rick Yancey
Genre : Post-Apocalyptic Si-fi
Length of book : like 500 pages
Series of books or Individual book : Series
Detailed description ( No spoilers ) : After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.
Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see...
Don't you wanna read it now?

Title : The Drowned City
Author : Paolo Bacigalupi
Genre : Alternate History/Future Sci-Fi (genetic alterations to species and whatnots)
Length of book : 400 pages, maybe
Series of books or Individual book : Series (I've only read the first one though)
Detailed description ( No spoilers ) : "In a dystopian future America where violence, terror, and grief touch everyone, young refugees Mahlia and Mouse have managed to leave behind the war-torn lands of the Drowned Cities by escaping into the jungle outskirts. But when they discover a wounded half-man--a bioengineered war beast named Tool--who is being hunted by a vengeful band, their fragile existence quickly collapses. One is taken prisoner by merciless soldier boys, and the other is faced with an impossible decision: Risk everything to save a friend, or flee to a place where freedom might finally be possible."
Extra details : Kinda depressing... contains minor sexual content (not descriptive) drugs, death without remorse. definately a teen book. It's about a post-nuclear america and thats about all I can say without spoiling everything.

Exclaimer

Lord of Altera
Title : Pathfinder Series
Author : Orson Scott Card
Genre : Sci-Fi Fantasy
Length of books : A lot
Detailed description ( No spoilers ) : Orson Scott Card's recent bestseller series is really freaking good. It takes futuristic science fiction, and medieval mysticism, and combines it into one delicious pastry of a book series. It delves into many things, from time travel, to paradoxes, to political tension, and clever solutions to bizarre problems. Also, the main characters are children, which is obviously the best kind of protagonist.
Extra details : If you like medieval fantasy and science fantasy then you'll want to marry the author.

Squidziod

Kid Charlemagne
Mystic
Retired Owner
Squidziod
Squidziod
LegendMystic
And while I'm here:

Title : The Andromeda Strain
Author : Michael Crichton
Genre : Science Fiction
Length of book : 350
Series of books or Individual book : Individual Book
Detailed description ( No spoilers ) : The Andromeda Strain is a science fiction novel documenting the efforts of a team of scientists investigating the outbreak of a deadly extraterrestrial microorganism in Arizona that rapidly and fatally clots the blood in most humans, while inducing insanity in a small handful of others.
Extra details : From the same author that wrote Jurassic Park and Sphere. For those that like science fiction, this is a must. Some of Michael Crichton's best work, though I would recommend anything this author wrote; It's all good.