Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Book Review: The Accidental Time Machine

SallyPirate

Lord of Altera
I love reading, and while rambling about most books I've read to a friend, they suggested I write reviews for them. So, I've nervously written this up! Never read or written reviews before, so bear with me.

Title: The Accidental Time Machine

Author: Joe Haldeman

This book is about a man named Matt, who's a research assistant at MIT. He's testing a simple calibrator and when pressing the reset button it disappears from his hand; reappearing a second later. He does several tests and quickly catches on that the machine multiplies the time it disappears by twelve every press of the button.

I couldn't really pick a favourite character without massive spoilers, so I'll stick with Matt on this one. Considering he's near broke most of the time and never has anyone to talk to except his mother, ex-girlfriend and co-workers; he's a very interesting character. I'm glad that he never stopped to question simple things and many things 'clicked' because it was a logical thought pattern.

I loved the story because it gives you the base of it straight up and doesn't dance around. While it does focus on time travel (one of my least favourite subjects), the story uses it so well that it makes it constantly interesting to read. I was reading every page and begging Matt to push the button again so I could see what happened next.

My favourite scene is hard to place, but I would have to say that I loved it when he put the turtle into the time travel bin he sets up. Then spent 3 agonizing days waiting for it. That's not a spoiler, it's on the summary of the book-

I don't think there was anything I disliked about the book, which might be because once I like a book I find it hard to find faults in it. But it also might be because it's fantastic. Considering I don't normally read Sci-fi, this book has made me seriously consider giving any sci-fi books a chance.

I'll end this with saying I'd give this a 10/10 because it's made me turn around and say "Hey, time travel stories can be cool."

Next book to read: Probably the Gone series.

Archmage_Cataris

Settling in Altera
If you're looking into reading a good sci-fi book, try the Commonwealth Saga. It is an amazing read and /mostly/ but not really revolves around wormholes in the near future.

fhamersley

Lord of Altera
I'm sorely tempted to go find this book now!
I'll be interested to see what you think of the Gone Series, too :)