Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Brief Tutorial: Glossary for Swords

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
  • Blade:The long, edged and usually pointed cutting part of the sword.
    • Edge:The cutting portion of the blade.
      • True Edge: The forward-facing edge, in line with one's knuckles.
      • False Edge: The backwards-facing edge (if there is one), in line with one's wrist. This is appropriate terminology for single-edged swords; the term "false edge" simply refers to the blunt facing.
    • Flat: The wide, flat surface of the blade.
    • Point: The end of the blade. Not all swords actually have a point, such as some used in executions, although the vast majority do.
    • Taper: A descriptor of the sword's narrowing towards the point. A strong taper denotes a fine point, whereas a weak taper suggests a more rounded or less pointed end to the blade. As a rule of thumb, more heavily tapered swords are designed with thrusting in mind.
    • Forte: From the Italian word meaning "strong". This refers to the part of the blade closest to the hilt (how close depends on the manual) and is the part where you should use for parrying due to the leverage it gives.
    • Foible: From the Italian word meaning "weak". This refers to the part of the blade closest to the point and is the part when you should (aim to) use for hitting your opponent for two reasons: reach and being closer/right at the "sweet spot" where the blade doesn't vibrate.
  • Crossguard/Handguard: The mediating component between the blade and grip which protects the hand. Handguards will extend downwards and/or around.
  • Cross-Section: A blade's shape when viewed from above, usually diamond or lenticular. Diamond variants are usually superior for thrusting, while lenticular cross-sections are usually superior for cutting. Hexagonal and "hollow" diamond are variations of the diamond cross-section with special properties. The hollow diamond in particular reclaims some of the cutting efficiency of a lenticular blade.
  • Fuller: A groove which runs into the blade of the sword, reducing its weight without compromising its strength. It's also believed to help keep the blade from getting stuck in stabbing wounds by channeling blood out of it, and it looks cool.
  • Grip: The component between the guard and pommel which provides a surface for one's hands to wield the sword with. Usually wood or leather.
  • Hilt: The grip, crossguard/handguard and pommel when considered as a single entity.
  • Pommel: The component at the bottom of the hilt. Comes in various shapes, and is often built with the dual purposes of balance and weaponisation.
  • Ricasso:A blunted portion of the blade near the hilt, usually for the purposes of wrapping one's hand or finger around for superior control.
    • Blade Ring: A ring that extends from the ricasso to protect the finger gripping it.
    • Parierhaken/Parrying Hooks: A pair of small flanges or hooks just above the ricasso on certain two-handed swords, used to protect the hand and potentially help catch or trap an opponent's blade when parrying.
  • Tang: A part of the blade which extends downwards and is covered by the grip, lending strength and security to the overall structure of the sword. There are various methods of securing it to the sword.

Bonus:

Here's the general set of sword forms you would see in Altera.

Did I hear katana? (Blades like Katanas are rather-well outside the area of what you'd see, but for information purposes for the curious: )

Last edited:
W

wakerman4

I read this every few days to remind myself so I remember this amazing information.
Taught my friend a bit about his Katana too, so thanks again Nael

Tarron

Lord of Altera
This is very good, I recently saw a fight with some 'belting' involved, with a sword?

If you own a sword, you are required to read up. I will pass this law with no power, but it will pass anyways.

W

wakerman4

>_<
Personality One is telling me "THANKS NAEL! This is awesome!"
Personality Two is saying "God Dammit Nael, your mind is too powerful!"

Riakai

Lord of Altera
Yes, 'Brief' Tutorial. Totally.
Very nice though, heard lots of new terminology I've not heard before.
*scribbles notes and continues writing Nakat application*