Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Call of Duty good or bad?

Is Call of Duty good or bad?

• Epic

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Good

• Okay

• Bad

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Horrible

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

French Roast

Lord of Altera
Pronouns
She/Her
French_Roast
French_Roast
Straight-forward. Do you think Call of Duty is good or not, and feel free to explain your opinion.

I don't think it's good, I have no desire to get any of them. Of what I've heard, the plot is very repetitive, just in different context each time. I've heard that it was actually good up until World at War, and once they got to MW it just got crappy. And I think I've seen more than enough in terms of people playing the game to see the point. I think I'll stick to sniping people with the binary rifle in Halo 4 at my friends' houses.

Spark

Broken
I think good because people rage about every game they can't play. People say they don't like it yet they still play it and then the rage about it on the internet.
The story is very good, definatly not repetative. The online was made to be fast paced and drop you straight in the action yet people somehow think its crap because this happens...yet its the the way its meant to be.
I prefer the unlock system to battlefield but then I prefer the bigger maps of battlefield. Can't put that against CoD though because its meant to be made that way.

*removed by legion for insult*....

French Roast

Lord of Altera
Pronouns
She/Her
French_Roast
French_Roast
-.- Wow, that's real nice... thanks for that insult, and I was not comparing CoD to Halo. I agree they're pretty different. All I said was I like Halo more than CoD.

You're free to have your own opinion, but don't take mine personally - because there's nothing personal about it - and don't insult me because of it. This is just supposed to see what people's opinions are of Call of Duty, just to get an idea of what this community thinks of it and why. If somebody wants to get in a friendly, non-aggressive debate, I'm not stopping them, and I don't think anybody else will. But if you're insulting people because of their opinions, then keep that to yourself.

Just because something is meant to be the way it is does not mean it's good, or good to everyone...

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
Spark, totally unnecesarry, and pointlessly offensive. I expect better out of you.

I like CoD. I dont care for the campaigns, though they arent that bad, but i have yet to find a game that has better massively multiplayer first person shooter competition.

French Roast

Lord of Altera
Pronouns
She/Her
French_Roast
French_Roast
Legion maybe you could remove that whole message... I think that first part was implying that I was "raging" about CoD because I can't play it - which is completely false. It's just an insulting conclusion (which he can't even prove), and I take it as offensively as I did the removed insult...

Spark

Broken
I was saying in general :eek: and the halo thing wasn't aimed at you in the slightest, I know what you meant and sorry for the misunderstanding :eek:

0% of the post was aimed at you...

I edited the first part to make it sound more like it was meant to sound..

The last part wasn't aimed you, seeing as you didn't compare them so i'm not sure how that was taken the wrong way but anyway, it was aimed at the little kids of youtube that post about halo being better on call of duty videos so just generally saying....

Edit: Doesn't help matters that I went to sleep after posting....the day I go to sleep early >.>

TheRandomkid321

I think I might like it here
Honestly the CoD community ruins it for me. A majority of them are 7 year old swearing kids who rage just because they die. But honestly I still play it from time to time.

dracoboy2

Lord of Altera
I was saying in general :eek: and the halo thing wasn't aimed at you in the slightest, I know what you meant and sorry for the misunderstanding :eek:

0% of the post was aimed at you...

I edited the first part to make it sound more like it was meant to sound..

The last part wasn't aimed you, seeing as you didn't compare them so i'm not sure how that was taken the wrong way but anyway, it was aimed at the little kids of youtube that post about halo being better on call of duty videos so just generally saying....
This. The fact that all of you jumped to a conclusion of OOC hatred is stupid.

ptiber

El programming zorro
Retired Staff
Ok, I know I'm gonna be killed in flames in here by most of people, but I have to do it anyway.
The fact that I'm working in the video-game industry, and not in an indie-underground-small studio that makes innovative things but in a huge money-driven one, forces me to not silence myself and make me heard by anyone.

So… here it is :

CoD = Battlefield = Halo = Crysis = Assassin's Creed = Resident Evil = Final Fantasy = [...insert here any other over-exploited intellectual property or brand that have more than 3to sequels...] = exploiting an existing IP / brand to make cash flow without taking any risk until all the fans are tired of it not changing and finally stops buying it (or until any "superiorly intelligent" (meaning "not driven by the size of his wallet") man buys the company and put them a stop).

I don't really criticize these games quality, don't get me wrong. Graphics have become a lot prettier than in the Playstation / PS2 era (they were horribly awkward, let’s face it, bad 3D is waaaaaaay worse than bad 2D), sound design really is something that is pushed forward to immerse the player, pacing have been greatly improved, etc etc…

But after having produced such a number of games in the [insert brand name here] brand, studios usually don't try to improve them anymore apart from the graphics side, making the same game over and over and over again, just for their wallet's sake.

Basically, CoD 2 was betterthan all the others that followed. It introduced awesome in-the-action setups and never-compromising difficulty (at least in the hardest difficulty mode), as well as immersive action & astounding on-the-player-character effects (stunned character effect with mortar shots, deaf effect with too-close grenades explosions, etc etc…)
Assassin's Creed 2 waswaaaaaaay betterthan the 2 that followed, the others one only introducing : useless bombs, not-even interesting first-person abstract physical-puzzles, bad tower-defense gameplay to defend the assassin’s dens, over-complicated and obfuscated story… oh yeah, hook-blade, and possibility to call assassins-helpers. But at what cost ?...
Crysis 2 or 3 did not broughtanythingnewer that wasn't in the first one. No, I don’t see anything here worth mentioning…
Final Fantasy has arrived at a point where they just make a new episode with the name of an older one and adding " - 2" at the end of it (yeah, I look at you, Final Fantasy XIII-2 !!!), make more girls with even shorter clothes and with bouncing boobies (forgive me my words please, but its necessary to tell it this way, as its really whats its about...) laughing at anything (most of the time things that are absolutely NOT funny) and with guys with even bigger swords. A new emmotionally-bland story that involves making characters dead in older games come back to life god knows-how it’s possible, and let it rolllllllllll on its acid-drugged foundations...

I don't talk about story, enemies, characters, graphics, sound, visual quality, and so on. I mean, what's important in a game ? The mechanics, what you are doing at all times, what you need to do in order to fulfill the game's missions and story. And in that, nothings has changed in most of the brands I've been naming above.
Some small improvements, but with crumbling foundations that nobody cared to repair.

Making pretty graphics, nice sound design, even somewhat “good” story and characters, will not make a new and awesome game. It will just make the same game with pretty graphics, nice sound design, somewhat “good” story and characters (if it has a story… pay real writers for that damn you !!!!)

Sequels became ridiculous some time ago already. Please, stop.
And it works also with cinema.

PS : I would also liked to talk about the difficulty drop in all of these games and the fact that the player is hold by the hand during the entire game without any possibility for him to discovers things by himself (apart from poorly scripted cinematics that you can’t even skip…), but it’s time for me to go to lunch. Next rant ! :D

PPS : Some people have told me already that I criticize a lot. I know I do, I'm sorry if I'm harsh. But its like that that people make better things : by pointing out what's wrong in what they create, for them to improve it. I everyone just shut up, nothing will ever improve.

ptiber

El programming zorro
Retired Staff
I did :)
And nothing in that have been able to replace in my mind the Cod2 Normandy landing mission. Lots of special effects, lots of cinematic knowledge in that. But as a gamer nothing that worth my time as it is in some other games.

What I forgot to mention, is that I quite like some of the games I've named in my previous post. I've played most (it not all of them), and I really enjoyed some of them.

But as many other (I'm not alone on that), I can see where its going, making reboots after sequels after prequels after other sequels... And I don't see any creativity improvement in that. Just some impoverishment.

That truly saddens me, because of what could have been possible is just trashed in name of stock-shareholders and investors...

Peculiar Player

The Dragon Cultist
Ber Ric, I completely agree with that. I dislike CoD because it started to bcome a sell-out game, with little to no improvments in the latest titles. I loved CoD 3, Hell, I loved MW2. But Black Ops and MW3 were just plain bad. Then again I am a huge fan of Halo, so of course I hate on CoD! :p

dracoboy2

Lord of Altera
I just think that people are blinded by COD stereotypes. Cod 4 was a brilliant game, paved the way for modern online first person shooters... and yet people still hate on it. All the Cods are "good games". If they were from small game developers people would definitely class them as "good games". Yes they have been milked for all they are worth but there are genuinely good features which they brought to the FPS table.

Spark

Broken
This^ CoD doesnt get millions of sales every year because they make a completely different game every time. Of course the game will be similar because its on the same if not updated engine and has the same concept. I can't see the doing one about modern warfare then one about sea turtles!

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
Im locking this thread.
From now on, if you want to have a discussion on this, two things must be met:
1. Do some actual research. Honestly the stuff ive been seeing is totally opinionated with no actual data about the game, and probably from people who havnt actually played them.
2. You have to be able to have this discussion in a mature and sensible manner. No raging, no hating, no whining. If you have some vendetta against CoD, we dont want to hear it, and if you have some vendetta against people who have a vendetta against CoD, we still dont want to hear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.