Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

camo131's Application [Approved - Charybdis]

camo131

Lord of Altera
Hi! I was whitelisted for this server a very, very long time ago and I am just recently getting back into playing Minecraft. I remember really enjoying the atmosphere of this server so I decided to re-apply!

1. What is your Minecraft username? - camo131
(New players can only use one account to begin with, so please don't list any alt accounts. You can apply for an alt account after being here for one month.)

2. How old are you? - 21
(Please note that the minimum age to take part on the server is 14. Due to the era of the role play there are some more mature themes which may not be suitable for anyone younger. We can't be held responsible should you choose to lie about your age.)

3. What country are you from? - USA
(HollowWorld is an English speaking server. People from around the world are more than welcome to join us and take part provided that they do their best to use a good standard of written English both in game and on the forums.)

4. Have you read the King's Law, Code of Conducts, Official Lore, and the Player Guides yet? - Yes
(There, you can find information about how our server is run, as well as the playable races.)

5. In your own words, how would you define metagaming and powergaming? - Metagaming is when you apply OOC knowledge to your character, who is not privy to that information. Powergaming is essentially making your character do overpowered or impossible things, leaving other players with no way of reacting reasonably to the action. There can be many different means of powergaming, such as "taking control" of another player, by not only declaring that you are committing an action, but also declaring the RESULT of said action. ie; "I swing my weapon at you from behind." may be acceptable, but "I swing my weapon at you from behind, hitting you in the head and rendering you unconscious." would definitely be considered powergaming. It can happen in the reverse as well, by completely nullifying the actions of another player, making their choices utterly meaningless. ie; "While I am bound in chains, [player] tries to interrogate me. I break out of my binds, refusing to give away any information, and escape." Powergaming can also occur in ways that don't involve direct player interaction, by brute-forcing OOC information to your character by declaring that they heard it from a suddenly created non-player source, effectively creating a meek attempt at "bypassing" a metagaming attempt. ie; In this scenario, you (OOC) know that there is an enemy ambush setup on the road ahead. However, your character does not know this information. You know that you can't just acknowledge that your character knows the ambush is there, as that would be metagaming, but you create an event in which a never before introduced raven with a message arrives and warns you of an incoming ambush. The incident may not be considered "metagaming" anymore, but it can absolutely still be considered powergaming.
(It is important to understand what these terms are and why they are bannable offenses in any roleplaying community.)

6. Do we allow X-Raying mods or X-Ray texture packs on the server? - Nope!
(This question goes for any method that can be used to unfairly find and mine ores.)

7. Name one of our current Mentors. - Charybdis
(Mentors are designed to help you get used to the server; you can see a list of our current Mentors and what they can do for you under 'Code of Conduct!' [x].)

8. Tell us about yourself! - My name is Cameron. I have one pet, a cat named Echo who causes a lot of trouble, but loves taking pictures! I play a lot of video games, some of my favorites are Overwatch, Hearthstone, ESO, Guild Wars 2, and dozens more I can't think of right now. I watch a lot of Twitch streams, my favorite channels are ClintStevens, summit1g, and Maximillian_DOOD. I'm a Level I IT Technician for a Tribal Government and I love my job! I used to do a good bit of roleplaying in games when I was younger, but I've been out of it for a few years. I definitely want to get back into it casually - it's nice to be taken out of real life every once in awhile!
(Introduce yourself! Tell us some of your hobbies, what kind of music you like, other games you play, maybe any pets you have. We're not asking for anything too personal, but we would like to get to know you a bit better to help the application and transition. This question needs to be a minimum of five sentences and not focused on Minecraft.)

9. Do you have any examples of your work? - I admittedly haven't played Minecraft in a very long time. I consider myself a pretty competent builder, but a lot of the game's newer mechanics may be lost on me for awhile.
(This question is optional! Are you an artist? A builder? A writer? If you want to show off some of your work, we'd love to see it! You can upload a file at the bottom of the page to attach some pictures if you like! If you don't have anything you want to show, that is perfectly fine. Don't worry.)

10. Did anyone refer you? If not, how did you find our server? - Nope, I was a member probably six or seven years ago! I launched Minecraft for the first time in years and thought back to this server and thought I should re-apply. :)
(This question is also optional. If you were referred by someone, that person has a chance to get a referral reward.)

About Your Character!
This section is about the character you intend to use once you join the server.We ask that new players follow these guidelines during this portion of the application:
  • Characters begin with basic skills and gear. No advanced armor or weaponry. Skills and abilities are appropriate to a novice level. Skills should be learned through roleplay, not through backstory.
  • Characters fit the lore. If you choose to play as a Moor Elf, for example, we expect appearance and details to be fitting with base lore.
  • Characters cannot use magic in any way. The test itself should not mention magic either. HollowWorld uses a restricted magic system and it is only accessible to those who find and learn from a teacher in-game.
  • Tests should not be violent. No murder, killing, death, torture. In the past, 8 out of 10 applications featured characters fighting off bandits or slaying passersby. We don't want to see how well you can script a fight scene. We want to see how well you can tell a story, how well you can roleplay.
  • Be creative and be original. Do not use tests/characters whose home villages were burned, parents murdered, and then set off to be an orphan assassin. It has been done before. Please don't do it again.
  • Written portion of the test is required to be a 400 word minimum. If the test doesn't meet the minimum, Staff may ask you to extend the test before the application is considered.
You can remove the guidelines above when you're copy and pasting the application. The instructions above are for you to read and can be removed when applying.

Character Name: - Camryn Regan
(Be mindful of the Medieval Fantasy theme when choosing your name.)

Character Age: - 21
(Simple enough!)

Character Race: - Human
(Have a look through our Playable Races!)

Appearance: - Brown, messy hair, hazel eyes, tan skin, pretty much as shown in the skin.
(We just want to make sure things like hair color, eye color, skin color, and clothing is all fitting for the setting/lore we have.)

(Optional) Picture of the Skin: 1539830791200.png1539830822077.png
(Attach a picture here if you have one. If you don't have an image, that's fine. Just make sure you describe it well in the appearance section.)

Written Test!
(This is where you tell us a story of your choosing! Be creative. It should be 400 words minimum and use the character you've created above. This is what we use to judge your ability as a roleplayer. Show us how much you've learned by reading our guides and lore. Include anything you think will impress us!)

Camryn was raised by a blacksmithing family in a large village. His father, Christopher, wanted to pass the hammer to his son, but Camryn decided his life was better spent adventuring. Of course, being born and raised by a blacksmith, he did carry a degree of pride in his family's work, and always carried his father's personally made engraved iron sword and helmet. As a result of his adventurous nature, there was tension within the family, as Camryn was constantly sneaking out to go on his own adventures and finding himself in some trouble. Camryn loved practicing with his sword and getting into duels with his equally rowdy friends.

One day, Camryn was practicing his swordplay with his dueling partner and best friend, Henry, when the son of a local but powerful nobleman caught them in the act. The nobleman’s son, named Jarrod, insisted that Camryn duel him as he was sure that his paid lessons would be more than enough to prove him superior to this self-taught blacksmith’s son. Camryn hesitated, as he knew how battered and bruised he came home from these sessions, and if the nobleman’s son came home in that shape, he and his whole family would be flogged or worse. However, Jarrod persisted in taunting Camryn until he had enough of it. Camryn agreed to the duel, and found that traditional training does indeed pay off, as Jarrod was able to keep pace with Camryn without much effort. Despite putting up a reasonable effort, Jarrod bested Camryn in their duel, though both parties were reasonably battered. Ashamed by his defeat, Camryn insults Jarrod, telling him he’s only any good because he’s had everything spoon-fed to him his whole life, and that he’d be nothing without his expensive lessons. Jarrod is fuming by these words and tells Camryn that he’s going to regret what he just said to him.

Sure enough, early the very next morning, Henry arrived at Camryn’s door out of breath, and told him that Jarrod came to his father covered in bruises and welts and said that Camryn had robbed him blind, and that the guards would be coming for him as soon as their duties begin that morning. He and Henry both knew that this meant he’d be jailed or worse, so Camryn decided that this would be the perfect opportunity to finally go out into the world on his own. He thanked Henry, left a note for his parents, grabbed his father’s sword, helmet, and some basic supplies and went on his way.

Now, 5 years later, Camryn travels far and wide. He is admittedly happy that the incident with Jarrod occurred, as he is finally able to live his life free, as he always wanted to. Despite their differences, he laments his family as he wanders, hunts, and camps his way around the countryside. Part of him misses his old life. Not so much the day-to-day activities, but the human interaction. He considers if he should have asked Henry to come with him that day, and wonders how he’s doing now, but quickly realizes it was better this way. Camryn decides it’s time to find a travelling partner and sticks to the roads in hopes that he will bump into another lost soul like himself.

Last edited:

Charybdis

Screaming Cat
Pronouns
They/Them
Hi there. Your application is for the most part on the correct track, but I'd like you to take a look at a couple points:
  • Powergaming Definition: Your definition is correct but a bit narrow. Please take another look at the King's Law and expand upon it soem.
  • Written Test: A few things to note, here.
    • We pretty clearly ask in the application guidelines to try and not rely on violence in your writing, as we are looking moreso for how you are able to handle characterization, dialogue, and development.
    • Your character is a bit overly skilled for just starting out on the server. We ask that you do not begin with being considerably skilled in things that can dramatically affect RP with other players, such as combat or blacksmithing
It's fine if your character has this as a part of their backstory but this isn't what we are looking for when it comes to the written test. Please readjust accordingly and reply to this thread when you would like me to have another look.

If you have any concerns or questions, please contact myself or another mentor. Thanks.

camo131

Lord of Altera
I considered your advice and I've revised my application, please take another look whenever you're able.

Thank you.

Charybdis

Screaming Cat
Pronouns
They/Them
Your written test is looking good now, thanks. However, you've added another definition of the same aspect of powergaming, while still missing part of what it can be concerning things other than direct player interaction.

camo131

Lord of Altera
Thank you for the feedback. I have again revised my definition of powergaming.

I look forward to your review.

Charybdis

Screaming Cat
Pronouns
They/Them
Congratulations!

I'm pleased to announce your application has been approved. I hope you enjoy your stay in Altera. Before logging on make sure you read the Survival Guide. It will help you on your way to get established in our World. If you need to know any additional information, everything can be found in our King's Law. Make sure you consult either of these two before asking a question ingame.

If you're stuck unable to interact with anything or chat, try using /warp whitelist, if this doesn't work then please message a staff member with the problem.

+Please note we are in the midst of a server-wide campaign, and the world has been affected!+

The Forlorn campaign is currently ongoing, involving a widespread plague. As such, almost everyone is currently on the isle of Linlea, as volunteers, refugees, etc. I'd strongly recommend you take a brief look at the current campaign summary [here] so you aren't confused about the basics of it. If you wish to participate in this campaign, make sure to let staff know with this thread [here]. If you have any questions feel free to ask myself or another mentor, as it's a bit of a big thing to catch up on. More information may be found on the campaign right [here] in the general campaign section.

+You are probably eager to jump into the game, so there is no need to read all the links. Just use these as a reference for later.+

Survival Guide - Read this to help when you login!
The King's Law
How to Create a Character
Roleplay
The Official Lore & The Lore Book
Town Census
Plugins Command Guide
In-Game Character Cards
Donate to the Server!

Lastly, please make sure you understand the following points:

+ Do not powergame, metagame or use x-ray texturepacks on the server! Our moderation team makes sure to deal with severe reports.
+ Anyone found to be griefing our server and subsequently blaming their sibling, friend, dog or any other person other than themselves will be banned irrespective of their innocence.

+If you'd like to provide any feedback, concerns, suggestions, or otherwise on our application process, please feel free to contact me here on the forums.+