1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For information on the UUID changes in 1.8 - please Click Here

"Cannot Reach Server." Error

Discussion in 'Help & Tutorials' started by Xoma360, Sep 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xoma360

Xoma360 Villager

Hello everyone!

So I just received my White List Approval email yesterday (Sunday) and I've been very eager to log on all day, which with today being a rather slow day at work, made the hours just crawl by. So I finally get home, read through the Tome of Citeznship and decide it is time to join you all in a grand adventure. So I grab the Server address, put it into the multiplayer server option, hit enter and there it is. But heres where things go wrong...

After a moment of polling, the server comes back with "Cannot Reach Server". I am extremely saddened by this as I have been very excited to play all day and I can't seem to figure out what the problem is. The minecraft servers seem to be up and running. The only thing I can think is I'm having problems connecting due to the fact that I am in The United States and the server is located in the UK.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    ~Xoma
  2. Kruziik

Kruziik <3 Hollow World

Hi Xoma you are on the whitelist, I've removed and readded you "Xoma360".

Try again, please make sure you're connecting to this address:
    minecraft.hollowworld.co.uk:1701

If that won't connect it might be DNS on your ISP that's causing the problem, when added to the multiplayer section of minecraft using the "add server" option it should show up with a green indicator and how many players out of 50 are currently on the server.. If not it's probably an ISP problem with it resolving DNS incorrectly.​
  3. Kruziik

Kruziik <3 Hollow World

We have players from all over the world so I doubt it's location that's the problem.
  4. Kruziik

Kruziik <3 Hollow World

you could try the "direct connect" option and putting in this IP:

217.146.95.17:1701

Although it'd be best if it resolved the server name itself.
  5. Xoma360

Xoma360 Villager

I have the address correct, so I suppose it must be a DNS problem... I'm going to go reset my router and see if that doesn't fix it....
  6. Kruziik

Kruziik <3 Hollow World

try direct connect mate that'd rule out any firewall issues too
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Xoma360

Xoma360 Villager

After restarting the router and even setting up a static IP with the 8.8.8.8 google public DNS, it seems I still am having trouble connecting :(
  8. Xoma360

Xoma360 Villager

I tried the Direct connect, unfortunately this is also giving me "Connecting to server" and then just timing out.
  9. Kruziik

Kruziik <3 Hollow World

possibly firewall or port redirects on the router? There aren't really many things that can cause this. I take it that you've updated to the latest client etc?
  10. Xoma360

Xoma360 Villager

I have indeed updated. I'm not entire sure its a port issue, but give me a moment to have a look. I was under the impression that Minecraft didn't require any sort of port tinkering tho.
  11. Xoma360

Xoma360 Villager

Still nothing, I have done everything within my (somewhat limited) knowledge of computers to try to resolve this problem, but to no avail. I even attempted to connect with my Router's firewall turned off, but still nothing.

This saddens me greatly.
  12. roopot

roopot The Great Leper Staff Member

Character Name:
    Robert, Duke of Skadi
    Alt Name:
    Anasanserine, catraptio
    Race:
    Human
    have you tried playing via the browser?
  13. Xoma360

Xoma360 Villager

I have not, but that is a great suggestion, I will try that now, Although given the option I would rather play via client.
  14. Xoma360

Xoma360 Villager

Still a no-go via browser.
  15. Xoma360

Xoma360 Villager

As crude as it sounds, I'm going to see if a System Reboot is simply what was needed... stranger things have happened.
  16. Xoma360

Xoma360 Villager

Nothing. I hate to say it... but I might just have to give up on this. :/

I really was looking forward to playing with all of you and sharing in the RP experience that is Hollowworld, But untill the server stops saying "Can't Reach Server", I'm afraid that adventure will have to wait. :(
  17. Kruziik

Kruziik <3 Hollow World

I'll do some digging on it, never had this before and we've got several hundred active players from around the world.
  18. Cubey

Cubey TNT Head

You need port forwarding in router that's.....
  19. Xoma360

Xoma360 Villager

So I'm sitting at a 24/7 dinner and using their wifi, and the server pings perfectly. iguess its a problem with my ISP... going to have to figure that out when i get home.. either way... Hollowworld HERE I COME!
  20. Gaby

Gaby Master of Hollowworld

Character Name:
    Salheira Rain-river
    Alt Name:
    Viktor Sylvain, Dahlia Frost-Rose, Vantash, Jeanne-Serella Caedit
    Race:
    Caparii
    In-game Town/City:
    Alt Town
    House:
    Caparii Sun
    I'm having a similar problem, and I've been playing for at least a month!
    connection timing out, and stuff like that...
    gonna test direct-connect.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.