Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Card-game Dev (vacancy)

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
Good day!

I'm planning on creating my very own card game. I imagine it to be new, fresh, somewhat original. Of course, it will feature some things that other card games also use / have, but I'm trying to keep it different.

I've found the HollowWorld community to always have been (and hopefully still) very supportive and most of all: helpful.

In the past I've created the game "Thud" from the Discworld book. I never read it, but I was introduced to the game by Silvertread. We went on and made the game in Minecraft. We tested it a bit and from one thing came another: I created the game in real life with leather and wood and tweaked one rule that was originally unbalancing the game in the favor of one of two players.
DSC_1006.JPG

Creating a tangible game that someone made up in a book was really satisfying to do. It was a success! But it wasn't my own game. So I went on and created Mystic Mountain. (LINK) . By now, it's as good as finished. I'm just waiting for ages for my partner to finish up with painting the pieces of her team. After that I'll be making pictures to explain the rules and create the Rulebook. Then it should be finished!
IMG-20160709-WA0017.jpg

So far, I've got nothing but joy from doing this. Now I sit here waiting for some updates on my computer and I think to myself: "Why stop here?". On top of that, I like the idea of being a 'game-maker'.

The problem with Mystic Mountain is that it is too big. It'll be great to play, but it is not portable in any way. It's a huge block of wood, with a huge sheet of leather underneath and the miniatures that you need to play with are quite fragile. I love the game, I love the looks, it's just a game to only play in my own house.
Now a card game would be very different! Cards are easy to take with you, in a bag or just in your pocket. Besides, I've never created a card game before. (well, I did once, but it was a variety of an existing game, so that does not count.)

This thread shows my passion for it and it shows that this 'idea' will become reality, like the games I made before.
Now I am looking for someone who wants to join me in this venture / new project. I can only use one or two people on my team initially. Perhaps when I find we need more help we might need another pair of hands.

Does this sound interesting to you so far? Then here's some more details that might make you want to join or make you want to skip:
  • The game has to remain simple, and derive its quality from its simplicity (no 10 different types of cards with attack boosters that also count as defense boosters if rolled together with a five.)
  • The game is not yet set in a theme. (It can be fantasy, medieval, animals, plants, stones, etc. There's still a lot of space here.)
  • I'm going to need you to be able to think outside the box. A designer's way of thinking. (there's going to be challenges and problems that will need solutions. When these solutions are original and simple, that'll make our game fun to play.)
  • I need you to be dedicated, but not overly dedicated. (we're going to put our time in this, besides our busy lives. So it's nice to see the partner with which I/you will work responds in time and is honest about his/her response. But we must also respect each other's real lives and not demand or expect too much from each other.)
  • It's gonna be something with a tangible outcome. (I need someone who is very critical about things. If I screw something up or think of a stupid rule, you need to be man enough to call me out for it. I'll do the same towards you. When thinking how to solve a problem, we're going to need 10 solutions before picking one.)
  • You need to be able to work with some kind of image editing software. (I'm not sure if we're going to need it very often, but we'll need it in the end to properly create the cards. Think: creating templates, filling in descriptions, adding images, designing the back of the cards)
  • This is very early development. (This means there's a lot of options still open. I already assumed the cards are going to be made out of paper and designed digitally to be able to print. But even that is still an assumption and we might want to make them without computers, or.. (fill it in!))
So, if you think: "I'm up for to create a game, although it's going to cost me time and I don't mind working with that crazy Piratep00f dude." then let me know in the comments below and we might be working together on this soon! I'm looking forward to find out who I'm gonna work with (if any! :p ).

Itzzaboy

King ForumStalker
I'll tentatively put my name forward. I've already got a card game in development and I don't want to bog myself down with too many projects as it dilutes the time I can spend on each. So I'll keep my name there if you come across a scenario where you have no one you feel is suitable.
- I have used basic tools to create very simple card templates, although my experience with image editing software is minimal.
- I have a lot of ideas to put to use, both in terms of game mechanics and lore design.
- I have free time that I'm willing to dedicate to projects, although my schedule is a bit up in the air atm due to moving house.
- I have internet, webcam and a headset, so I can effectively and efficiently communicate on a variety of platforms.
- Prior playing experience with cards games, mainly CCGs
- Aspiring and training Video Game Designer