Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Chest Shop Information and Tips

The following is a thread meant to expound upon the Chestshop tutorial in the "Economy" Player Guide. It will use elements of that information. The original work, which will teach you how to set up chest shops, can be found here: http://hollowworld.co.uk/survivalguide/economy.10/#Chestshop

If you have other useful tips, questions about Chest Shop, or you need help setting them up, post below. If I get questions about prices for items I cannot and will not provide exact prices. I may, at my discretion, provide price ranges or defer a player to the HollowWorld Economy Information thread and the occasional price range updates I provide there.

Setting Up A Chest Shop
Chestshop can be used by any player to sell goods in stalls or shops. It is most useful for OOC transactions, as it does not require you to be online to carry out the transaction. It is a very good way to earn money. To find out other ways to earn money, go to the HollowWorld Economy Information thread.

To create a chest shop, place a sign above or in front of a chest and type the following on the sign.

[Blank]
<Item Amount>
<Buy Price : Sell Price>
<Item Name>

Leave the First Line blank and don't include any brackets! If you complete the sign properly, chat will notify you and the sign will stay on the wall and auto-complete. A completed example would look like this:

Antilogy
100 : 80
Diamond​

Item Amount is the amount you wish to buy or sell. Partial transactions are possible, so for example if you list 8 and you only have five left, if somebody attempts to buy they would still be able to purchase the 5 remaining (and pay 5/8 the price listed).

Buy Price is the price you wish others to spend to buy your product. You do not have to list a buy price. If you don't, the third line of your sign would read : <Sell Price>

Sell Price is the price you wish others to sell products to you. You do not have to list a sell price. If you don't, the third line of your sign would read <Buy Price>

Item Name is the name or ID number of the item. If you don't know an item name, hold the item in your hand and type /iteminfo. It will tell you what the ID number is. Put that number in the last row.

After you create the chest shop, place the corresponding goods in the chest. If you want to make sure it works, ask a friend to check it for you. If I'm online, feel free to ask me as well!

Useful Tips For Setting Up Chest Shops

Manage your space! If you set up a shop that allows players to sell to you, they can sell until you run out of money or you run out of space in the shop. If you only want to buy limited amounts of an item, consider using a smaller chest and fill up the appropriate amount of space with random items. For example, say I set up a shop that allows players to sell dirt to me, but I only want to buy two stacks of dirt. I would put things (other than dirt) in all but two slots in the chest, which would limit the number of transactions to two stacks of dirt!

Manage your money! If you are allowing others to sell to you, you can limit how much they can sell to you by limiting the amount of money in your account. To see how much money you have, type /money into chat. You can limit your money by trading your radiants for emeralds at one of the many banks scattered across the NK.

Strategically Locate your Shops
Location! Location! Location! It's all about location, so it is best to find a trade town/city, or one that is active and easy to get to. Be sure to ask your town owner for permission before you create a chest shop, as some cities require them to be in certain districts or in certain parts of a building. Don't just set up a chest shop willy-nilly. If the town owner wants you to pay for a building, be sure to haggle a little bit!

Using Somebody Else's Chest Shop
There are many chest shops scattered throughout the NK. Once you find one you want to do business with, you left click to sell your items to the shop and right click to buy items from the shop. If you are selling items, make sure the items you wish to sell are in your inventory. If you wish to buy items, make sure you have room in your inventory.

Useful Tips For Using Somebody Else's Chest Shop
Be Courteous!
If you find a price that is way too low or way too high, it's a good idea to tell the owner and ask them to adjust prices. Likewise, it's not a good idea to sell mass quantities of items to somebody's chest shop without first asking them. If you are trading mass items, best trade in person to make sure the person actually intends to buy that amount!

Last edited by a moderator:

I've now had two reports of people selling bulk items to chestshops. I again encourage you all to be courteous. Usually when a person has a lot of money in an account, they don't want to spend it all on 3,000 leads. If you are selling in bulk, please ask the person first!

Chestshop owners, keep a close eye on managing your money and your shops so this doesn't happen again.

Balatro

Don't call it a comeback
Retired Staff
I've now had two reports of people selling bulk items to chestshops. I again encourage you all to be courteous. Usually when a person has a lot of money in an account, they don't want to spend it all on 3,000 leads. If you are selling in bulk, please ask the person first!

Chestshop owners, keep a close eye on managing your money and your shops so this doesn't happen again.
Also its always a good idea if you have buy chestshops to keep your amount of money in the 10k area.

Everything else should be emeralds. Keeps things simple IMO.
@Rosary_Omen

Rosary_Omen

Lord of Altera
Legend
Pronouns
He/Him
Rosary_Omen
Rosary_Omen
Legend
Also its always a good idea if you have buy chestshops to keep your amount of money in the 10k area.

Everything else should be emeralds. Keeps things simple IMO.
@Rosary_Omen
I try and keep mine around 3k after my 50k was technically stolen. Admin reversed that for me though. No one wants 50k of name tags. :| I now keep most of my money in emeralds.