Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[concept] A school of schools

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
Hello!
I've had an idea, but before diving into it and getting too invested, I was wondering whether it would attract people and whether people would use it at all.
If it's likely that it won't be used, then it's no use building it all.

My idea is to build a school where literally anything can be taught. A school made up of rooms to learn languages, poetry, and star-gazing.
A school with workshops to teach and learn carpentry, masonry, cooking. It could have fields to learn farming, herbology, and horseback-riding.
A court with dummies and enough space to train in combat. Places where mages can teach their pupils certain skills in magic too!

It would be a place that must accommodate any teacher if they are willing to host a lesson about any subject. The spot to host teaching-events.
Where pupils can explore and learn things, teachers can set up lessons, doing these things together.

I want to build it in the free-region that is currently known as Rahm's Labyrinth. A place where everyone has perms, so teachers can set up their class-rooms / workshops / fields at their own leisure, even when I'm offline.
Now it might sound pretty, but the real-as-life question is: would any of you be interested in such a thing? Would it draw you to the spot, or would you continue to do your thing someplace else?

I'd love to know, even if it means that this idea is not going to work.

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
"As I look around in this wilderness, with the village on top of the hill, the ancient labyrinth around it, I can see the ghost of what this place could be. A towering school, with incredible diversity, filled with the sounds of all kinds of crafts. I can see farmers walking about, carrying their harvest to the carts so it can be transported to needy cities. I can see flashes of light as magicians boast their newest spells. I can hear hammering and sawing from the carpentry workshop. There, in a tower, an inventor is throwing yet another experiment out of the window, trying to see if he can make something that can fly like a bird, but alas it falls to the ground with a thud, followed by the surprised shrieks of a group of students nearby."

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
Hello!
I've had an idea, but before diving into it and getting too invested, I was wondering whether it would attract people and whether people would use it at all.
If it's likely that it won't be used, then it's no use building it all.

My idea is to build a school where literally anything can be taught. A school made up of rooms to learn languages, poetry, and star-gazing.
A school with workshops to teach and learn carpentry, masonry, cooking. It could have fields to learn farming, herbology, and horseback-riding.
A court with dummies and enough space to train in combat. Places where mages can teach their pupils certain skills in magic too!

It would be a place that must accommodate any teacher if they are willing to host a lesson about any subject. The spot to host teaching-events.
Where pupils can explore and learn things, teachers can set up lessons, doing these things together.

I want to build it in the free-region that is currently known as Rahm's Labyrinth. A place where everyone has perms, so teachers can set up their class-rooms / workshops / fields at their own leisure, even when I'm offline.
Now it might sound pretty, but the real-as-life question is: would any of you be interested in such a thing? Would it draw you to the spot, or would you continue to do your thing someplace else?

I'd love to know, even if it means that this idea is not going to work.
It's been done before several times. That's what the Ruby Isle region was dedicated to, and it tried to teach lessons in various fields. It only works if you actively can coordinate players to teach and get people to sign up. We tried doing it in Thiil before that. In Compendium.

In my experience, it isn't about if "people would use it at all". It really has to have the region owner actively organizing it and making players prepare lessons and doing the signups yourself. But if you just want to build a classroom and say, "anyone can use it," then it won't be used. Compendium is full of classrooms that sit empty and ready for use (well, maybe not currently with the campaign and all).

As someone that's been on the teaching, the learning, and the organizing side of it, that's just my advice. It'll work if you make it work, but it'll just sit empty if you don't devote yourself to wrangling players OOCly and ICly to do it.

Squidziod

Kid Charlemagne
Mystic
Retired Owner
Squidziod
Squidziod
LegendMystic
As Niah says, the only time I've seen teaching work in a serious and tangible way is with one-on-one private lessons. Coordinating that can be tricky enough with schedules and timezones and everything that comes at is in this wild life -- and with a whole class? It's tough to say the least. It's not impossible, but I would focus on finding enthusiastic teachers and creating some kind of curriculum before doing anything else. For myself personally, If I was going to teach someone something, it's going to be in a private lessons setting and I'm going to do it in my region.

That's simply the most time-viable and most convenient way of doing things for myself and it's my guess that a lot of people are the same.

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
Wow, these are already some really useful tips and heads-ups you gave me. I'm already glad I made this thread before doing anything else.
I'll see if I can realistically invest the time in organizing things and start slow, bit by bit. Great advice!
Still open for more opinions / advice

Cukie1

Essentially a Chihuahua
Aware Single
Legend
Pronouns
She/Her
Cukie1
Cukie1
Single
As Niah said, I did this with Ruby Isles, and even while trying to wrangle players OOCly it just didnt work. Players were unavailable, wouldn't give dates when they were available and/or forgot the dates altogether even with a public post. People just didnt have interest in learning, probably because it's easier to self teach.

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
As Niah said, I did this with Ruby Isles, and even while trying to wrangle players OOCly it just didnt work. Players were unavailable, wouldn't give dates when they were available and/or forgot the dates altogether even with a public post. People just didnt have interest in learning, probably because it's easier to self teach.
As well I think a lot of those that teach, as Squid pointed out, would prefer to do so in their own regions, or privately. It's easier to tailor and progress with individual lessons than in a group setting.

Archbishop

Faith prevail
Retired Staff
Archbishop
Archbishop
I’m a legit IRL teacher. I can assist with any questions you have, regarding pedagogy and learning as well as how to set up a school, but I don’t want to be IC involved. I don’t play MC to replay my IRL.

Scardrac

Felsummer
I’m a legit IRL teacher. I can assist with any questions you have, regarding pedagogy and learning as well as how to set up a school, but I don’t want to be IC involved. I don’t play MC to replay my IRL.
The only reason I would attend this would be if Arch was a teacher so then I wouldn't show up just to trigger him.

Archbishop

Faith prevail
Retired Staff
Archbishop
Archbishop
He rigs Mr Arch's projector so next time he presents something the HW forums come up and then his laptop freezes.
I wouldn’t be embarrassed. My students play Fortnite, Blops 4, and other trite shite. Besides, these projectors are so wonky, that I’d just be straight impressed if you could even manage that.