Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[concept] Environment influences

Which of the two would you enjoy most?

• DMing environment in an existing region

Votes: 10 100.0%
  • making a new region based totally on this concept

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
Hello!
I've thought of a concept that I would enjoy to put into practice. But it will only be a success if others would enjoy me doing so too.

I'll elaborate:
In nature, in real life, things constantly change. It is something I've been missing in the game MineCraft.
When you build a house in real life, you have to upkeep it, sometimes repair things, keep plants away from the walls; to keep it from becoming a ruin. Same goes for a field of grass, you have to mow it every now and then. I want to use this basic idea as the foundation of the concept.

The concept will go like this:
The region where you RP in is normally in a steady state. I want to change that. I would like to:
  • Add succession to grassland: place grass and ferns in an open grassland, then a day later use bone-meal to make it tall-grass, the day after start adding leaves to it as shrubberies, as time goes by, make the shrubberies taller, start adding small trees, make them grow. All the way till you'd have a forest where you'd have grass before. This process will go on, unless halted by a player. Someone that would, in RP, go to the field and uproot the shrubberies (destroying the leaves and placing a sign like: "The shrubberies have been removed"). (This succession will take a long OOC time, adding something every now and then)
  • Add fluctuating water heights: When there's a lake or river, remove a layer of water every now and then in cases of drought. Until there's almost no water left. Or in case of flooding / excessive rain, raise the water level and make small mud puddles or pools in town. The RP will have to react to this drought and floods.
  • Add decay to housing: Sometimes leave a sign somewhere saying there's rot or decay. If nothing is done by a player, will change the wood into hay for example, or make something fall down. As time progresses (talking ooc weeks), the roof may collapse or plants may start to creep into the house, taking it over. In the end, all the houses that are not being used by players will turn into ruins.
  • Add animal migrations: place for instance a boar at the far end of the region and over the course of a week let it 'walk' (by replacing it) through the borders of the region. If a player detects it, it can try to catch or kill it (with a sign) and if no player interacts with it, it will just walk by unnoticed or leave some tracks. Same for flocks of birds.
  • Add illnesses / rot to farms or housing: place signs near farmfields saying the plants look bad. Or place signs saying that a rat just fled before their feet. If nothing is done about such things (if something can be done at all), then it might slowly take over the entire farmfield or cause the food inside someone's house to rot or be eaten by rats. Same goes for trees. At a certain point they'll get sick or old, and they will fall down or loose branches.
These are the most fleshed out examples I've got. But of course it also includes a lot of other effects. Some more positive, like apple trees sprouting at some spots (I'll provide the trees with item frames with apples every now and then once they are fully grown), or crops to grow extra fast because of the good weather. Everything that has to do with the environment!

I can imagine a farmer will have a lot of joy from adding this to RP.
Where he/she can go around the region where sometimes a sapling of a particular plant pops up and the farmer can dig it out and plant it wherever they want it. Then as time passes, the player will see it grow bit by bit!​

There are two ways to do it:
  1. I'm offering a region for anyone to rp in, allowing everyone access. You will be able to regulate everything: start a town, base an organisation there, build farms, whatever you like. The only thing I will control without your consent is the environment.
  2. I'm offering my help as 'environment-dungeonmaster' in an existing town. Everything will just continue to go the way it went, the owner will still have full control. Except I will be able to control the environment without having to consult anyone.
I see this offering a lot of new exciting things to a region!
Broken branches on the floor, young trees starting to grow, run-off of heavy rain starting to create brooks, swamps start to form in still-standing water, wildlife attracted. I see this tackling the problem of regions becoming 'boring' once the building is complete.

Like my last thread in this RP-discussion forum: Let me know if you are interested and put out a vote. If there are enough people who like the idea. I'd love to start setting it up!

Current regions who will support implementation of this system:
- Ironwall (CyberChaosV2 )

Last edited:

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
._. I would like this for Ironwall... gives it more of an industrial feel when not only is there a bunch of construction projects, but there's upkeep on the existing buildings as well!
SIGN ME UP BRUTHA!

LordCreepington

It took a lot to get here
I hope Sanardu does this. That would be quite cool to see it change over time. Also, whatever ~crazy things~ you'd make happen in the rugged hillside.

LordCreepington

It took a lot to get here
*Edits post five times looking for best description of Sanardu.*
(( As well I cannot spell Sanardu to save my life.))

Teeke

Lord of Altera
Consider Emyn Arnen to be a "living region" as it is already set up and intended to be treated in a manner such as this.

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
I hope Sanardu does this. That would be quite cool to see it change over time. Also, whatever ~crazy things~ you'd make happen in the rugged hillside.
Elz tends to do this with her eegion already. Maybe not so extreme as growing bushes, but she does a lot of environmental things withing her own regions.

Paint

Lord of Altera
Frosty
Retired Staff
ShadowAdmin
ShadowAdmin
Frosty
Surprisingly, people already do this with their regions.

For example, Elz, Cukie1 , and I do this for our regions with huge lists of animals and plants that you can find within it, as well as climate, if you need a example I'll link mine down below.

County of Eberland [X]

Its pretty good for RP, but to be honest with you, its draining to make all of this infomation.

Elz

hmm
Staff member
Admin
Very Sweet
Indeed I do. :p Not to such an extent, but I'd done it more in Riseport. I've been struggling with projects recently and Sanardu has suffered a bit in response - My apologies there. I've also done extensive research in my regions to do flora, fauna, etc, as mentioned above.
From experience however, you're taking upon yourself a massive task - If you aim to do this in multiple regions you're adding decay/etc each day in multiple places. You're also keeping track of who does what, because not everyone has perms. Best of luck with it, but I think you'll find it to be quite exhausting after a few days.

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
Indeed I do. :p Not to such an extent, but I'd done it more in Riseport. I've been struggling with projects recently and Sanardu has suffered a bit in response - My apologies there. I've also done extensive research in my regions to do flora, fauna, etc, as mentioned above.
From experience however, you're taking upon yourself a massive task - If you aim to do this in multiple regions you're adding decay/etc each day in multiple places. You're also keeping track of who does what, because not everyone has perms. Best of luck with it, but I think you'll find it to be quite exhausting after a few days.
I've done it before when I was staff on another server, at the capital. It's a lot of work but also a lot of fun. It makes it all a lot more realistic. I don't want to go into such detail to describe every flower or animal living in the region, but rather just the IG aspect (letting stuff grow and walk around by placing ooc items), instead of writing region 'lore'. Cool to see you are also into this stuff. My offer still stands though, for anyone who likes to have it.

mokwar

Yū Yi
Evil
mokwar
mokwar
Evil
Hello!
I've thought of a concept that I would enjoy to put into practice. But it will only be a success if others would enjoy me doing so too.

I'll elaborate:
In nature, in real life, things constantly change. It is something I've been missing in the game MineCraft.
When you build a house in real life, you have to upkeep it, sometimes repair things, keep plants away from the walls; to keep it from becoming a ruin. Same goes for a field of grass, you have to mow it every now and then. I want to use this basic idea as the foundation of the concept.

The concept will go like this:
The region where you RP in is normally in a steady state. I want to change that. I would like to:
  • Add succession to grassland: place grass and ferns in an open grassland, then a day later use bone-meal to make it tall-grass, the day after start adding leaves to it as shrubberies, as time goes by, make the shrubberies taller, start adding small trees, make them grow. All the way till you'd have a forest where you'd have grass before. This process will go on, unless halted by a player. Someone that would, in RP, go to the field and uproot the shrubberies (destroying the leaves and placing a sign like: "The shrubberies have been removed"). (This succession will take a long OOC time, adding something every now and then)
  • Add fluctuating water heights: When there's a lake or river, remove a layer of water every now and then in cases of drought. Until there's almost no water left. Or in case of flooding / excessive rain, raise the water level and make small mud puddles or pools in town. The RP will have to react to this drought and floods.
  • Add decay to housing: Sometimes leave a sign somewhere saying there's rot or decay. If nothing is done by a player, will change the wood into hay for example, or make something fall down. As time progresses (talking ooc weeks), the roof may collapse or plants may start to creep into the house, taking it over. In the end, all the houses that are not being used by players will turn into ruins.
  • Add animal migrations: place for instance a boar at the far end of the region and over the course of a week let it 'walk' (by replacing it) through the borders of the region. If a player detects it, it can try to catch or kill it (with a sign) and if no player interacts with it, it will just walk by unnoticed or leave some tracks. Same for flocks of birds.
  • Add illnesses / rot to farms or housing: place signs near farmfields saying the plants look bad. Or place signs saying that a rat just fled before their feet. If nothing is done about such things (if something can be done at all), then it might slowly take over the entire farmfield or cause the food inside someone's house to rot or be eaten by rats. Same goes for trees. At a certain point they'll get sick or old, and they will fall down or loose branches.
These are the most fleshed out examples I've got. But of course it also includes a lot of other effects. Some more positive, like apple trees sprouting at some spots (I'll provide the trees with item frames with apples every now and then once they are fully grown), or crops to grow extra fast because of the good weather. Everything that has to do with the environment!

I can imagine a farmer will have a lot of joy from adding this to RP.
Where he/she can go around the region where sometimes a sapling of a particular plant pops up and the farmer can dig it out and plant it wherever they want it. Then as time passes, the player will see it grow bit by bit!​

There are two ways to do it:
  1. I'm offering a region for anyone to rp in, allowing everyone access. You will be able to regulate everything: start a town, base an organisation there, build farms, whatever you like. The only thing I will control without your consent is the environment.
  2. I'm offering my help as 'environment-dungeonmaster' in an existing town. Everything will just continue to go the way it went, the owner will still have full control. Except I will be able to control the environment without having to consult anyone.
I see this offering a lot of new exciting things to a region!
Broken branches on the floor, young trees starting to grow, run-off of heavy rain starting to create brooks, swamps start to form in still-standing water, wildlife attracted. I see this tackling the problem of regions becoming 'boring' once the building is complete.

Like my last thread in this RP-discussion forum: Let me know if you are interested and put out a vote. If there are enough people who like the idea. I'd love to start setting it up!

Current regions who will support implementation of this system:
- Ironwall (CyberChaosV2 )
Mockingbay already has something alike this in plans.

If you check the roofs on the wooden part, you will find some holes and some patches.

But all in all, I like this idea.