Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Cranium's Application (Again) [Accepted - Jase]

Cranium

Meep
Retired Staff
_Cranium_
_Cranium_
Blessed
Quick preface to say that I'm a returning player with a character already created. I'm hoping to pick up with that character and resume play (with obviously minor adjustments to fit the narrative of my absence). I'll thus fill in this application around that character which a profile has already been created for that can be found here if need to understand it further (still needs a minor update).

1. What is your Minecraft username?
Cranium (two underscores either side)

2. How old are you?

3. What country are you from?
Republic of Ireland (fluent English as well as conversational Spanish and Irish).

4. Have you read the King's Law, Code of Conducts, Official Lore, and the Player Guides yet?
Yup, have made a refresher on them too also.

5. In your own words, how would you define metagaming and powergaming?
Metagaming as far as I understand it is the use and application of knowledge/information an individual has gained out of character and has used it to their own advantage in character. Usually this is because their character has no means of actually acquiring said information. E.g. I have learned the whereabouts of a certain character from discord and friends and have used it to allow my character (Sylvar) to pursue them.

Powergaming as far as I understand is the act of forcefully applying a scenario to a given narrative. This is by stating what has resulted from an action without actually allowing input from anybody else to manipulate said result. This is usually the result from specific phrasing which leaves no room for the other player to have a say in the result, and thus gives you "power" over the situation. E.g. "Sylvar presses his boot down on her foot hard enough to break her toe." - this could be amended to "Sylvar, using all of his might, begins to push his boot down onto her foot in an attempt to break her toe."

6. Do we allow X-Raying mods or X-Ray texture packs on the server?
Nope.

7. Name one of our current Mentors.
Spoke with ShaolinPunk which kindly answered one or two of my questions.

8. Tell us about yourself!
Hey, returning player here. You can probably gleam a bit more of me from my previous applications if you're willing to go searching but I'll bring you up to speed. Hi, name's Connor (name changed) and currently an undergraduate student in Biological and Biomedical Science in TCD with a moderatorship in Neuroscience. A good book normally gets me involved, and a huge fan of the mythical genre like Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter and the like. Also 4th grade pianist and trying to pick up guitar which isn't exactly working out but you know yourself. Super into Alt-J and Arctic Monkeys, huge fan of their music and if you get me talking about them you won't get me to stop anytime soon.

9. Do you have any examples of your work?
I do some occasional writing around Harry Potter related stuff. Mostly "journalistic" type entries with a bit of humour on the side. It's published on a small Quibbler type site run by a friend who does similar stuff. I'll include it in a spoiler box if you're curious to read an example.
Good afternoon, dear readers! I have been doing extensive research within the confines of both the Ministry of Magic and many privately owned firms to gather enough information for today’s article. For reasons quite clear, many institutions have fought tooth and nail to hide these somewhat powerful and dark potions from the general public. Never fret, my lovely readers; Cranium Granger will expose these corporations and reveal what secrets they have hidden within their four walls. Without further ado, here are six potions that you probably shouldn’t know ’bout.

Veritaserum
Put simply, Veritaserum is a very powerful truth serum. In essence, it causes the drinker—when under questioning—to answer questions truthfully. The potion itself is clear, colourless, odourless, and tasteless, and only requires 3 drops to work to its fullest potential. It is known to be almost indistinguishable from water, hence its danger. There are, however, limitations on the use of this potion by the Ministry of Magic. Veritaserum only causes the drinker to tell what they perceive as true, hence it may not be the most reliable. Considering some folk can resist its effects and some cannot, it is considered inadmissible in a court of law (Wizengamot). Additionally, there are methods of resisting. There exists a (very rare) antidote for this potion, and those with the skill of Occlumency will not be affected as much.

Emerald Potion
More often known as the “Drink of Despair,” this potion induces delirium, fear, stomach pain, and extreme thirst in the drinker. This can lead to temporary incapacitation, and may lead to onset insanity. It is called the Emerald Potion due to its vibrant emerald-green colour and its phosphorescent glow. According to my sources, the potion cannot be penetrated by hand, vanished, parted, scooped up, siphoned away, transfigured, charmed, or otherwise made to change its nature in any way. Hence, the only way to move said potion is to drink it. For this reason alone, it is often used as a protection mechanism, particularly of something of extreme importance. However, as it does not typically kill the drinker, often a second measure of protection is installed to . . . “finish them off.”

Regeneration Potion
This potion is a rather dark piece of magic, and not much is known about it. However, we can successfully conclude it was used by He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named in order to restore his body. This potion restores a wizard’s body who has become maimed and seriously disfigured (essentially non-corporeal bodies) to a whole bodily form. Many ingredients are unknown, however there are often three key components needed: “Bone of the father, unknowingly given, you will renew your son! Flesh of the servant, willingly sacrificed, you will revive your master. Blood of the enemy, forcibly taken, you will resurrect your foe.

Wolfsbane Potion
As its key component is the wolfsbane plant (otherwise known as aconite or monkshood), it is often simply called the Wolfsbane Potion. This concoction helps to greatly alleviate—but not cure—the symptoms of lycanthropy. Considering aconite is an incredibly poisonous substance, if this potion is brewed incorrectly, it can have disastrous effects. The way to imbibe this potion is unique in that the individual must drink a gobletful once a day for a week preceding a full moon. Considering its extreme difficulty in brewing, and the incredible expense of its ingredients, it is nigh on impossible for a werewolf to brew it himself. This is particularly due to the fact that those suffering with lycanthropy find it extremely difficult to maintain a stable job, and thus live in poverty. Invented by Damocles during the 1970’s, this potion is considered a ray of hope in many werewolves’ lives. According to my sources, the potion allows the drinker to maintain their cognitive capabilities whilst still transforming, but renders them an ordinary, sleeping wolf. How quaint.

Rudimentary Body Potion
There is not much known about this next one, however I feel it is still important for our readers to know how the Dark Lord returned. The Rudimentary Body Potion helps to return a non-corporeal wizard to a rudimentary (basic) body or to maintain said body. It was prepared for him by Peter Pettigrew and was used to create He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named’s rudimentary body—in combination with a few spells of his invention and something so horrible as to be indescribable—in order to sustain him while he awaited his return to power. Two of its main ingredients were unicorn blood and snake venom. The drinker must continuously drink the potion every few hours in order to maintain the little health that they have regained.

Death Potion
Not much is known about this one, however we have managed to discern its use within the MACUSA (Magical Congress of the United States of America). It was used to carry out death sentences during the 1920s (though we still believe it is in use to this day). We are not entirely sure how it works, but we do know that the executioner can extract the detainee’s memories and place them within the potion. It will then reflect these memories, similar to a Pensieve, to mesmerize them and make them susceptible to suggestion. Once a wand is waved over the potion, it becomes agitated and rises towards the condemned in eerie, liquid tendrils. It is considered highly corrosive and can quite easily burn through flesh, and usually ends up resulting in the detainee’s death.

Please be careful in your research of these potions, as they are considered incredibly dark and should not be in use. However, we at the Quibbler feel it is in your utmost interest to be made aware of what these government and private bodies are using within their walls. Please stay safe and aware, dear reader.

10. Did anyone refer you? If not, how did you find our server?
No referral I'm afraid.

About Your Character!

Character Name:
Sylvar Arathorn-Yllaric

Character Age:
70 (25 in comparison to humans)

Character Race:
Silver Elf

Appearance:
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 142 lbs
Eye Color: Piercing bright blue
Skin Color: Quite pale
Distinguishing Features: Elf ears, eyes, smirk
Build of Body: Quite slim, almost athletic
Hair Color: An auburn/brown mixture.
Hair Style: Few long tufts, slight front fringe
Complexion: Smug, hint of femininity
Posture: Quite rigid, almost proud
Is Seen By Others As: Mannerly, yet arrogant.
Scars: None currently, to which he prides himself on.
Voice: Baritone

(Optional) Picture of the Skin:
Will just include his character profile picture;

Written Test!

Sylvar slumped depressively as he made his way down to the dock. His leather dress shoes trudged and tunneled through the gravel pathway, making a loud thunk as it impacted with the emerging wooden beams of the boardwalk. He never liked Dunstan. Growing up here was torture enough under the guidance of his father, and this last visit was ample reminder of why he disliked the bitterly cold port-town. He burled his sleek black cloak around his small frame as he awaited for the crew of his hired ship to finish their preparations. The Foamdrinker bobbed silently in the surprisingly calm waters of the eve as Sylvar gazed up the cloudless sky. He had noticed the unusual astronomical phenomenon and decided to make a mental note to see what was known about it when he returned home.

He missed his mother dearly. Aila was an elegant and striking sight, and Sylvar silently commended his father in his choice of partner - she possessed all the necessary qualities of a loving mother. The Wood Elves were the main inhabitants of this forested isle, and the young Sylvar would almost always prefer the company of them than his own paternal lineage, the Silver Elves. Slightly mischievous, they always had such a sense of adventure that the young bookworm always aspired to replicate. Alas, his “all-knowing” father time after time buried the young boy in books, broadening his mind and educating him in many of the teachings of the world. While his young and naive mind would definitely have preferred woodland frolicking, Sylvar still appreciated the stern teachings of his father. He discovered many of his passions in this world, and books were almost always at the top of that list. He took an ample liking to the teachings of his mother’s faith in Shalhrena, although whilst respected, he never took part. However, he did come across the teachings of the God of Secrets, which piqued his interest in the Divines, thus leading to his vast knowledge today. The teachings of Silas mirrored his own values near perfectly, to the point he decided that during his training for the Scribes of Silas Link, he would get his first Doctrine inscribed upon his right forearm.

The strong breeze from the clear night air stirred him from his thoughts and brought him crashing back to reality. Sylvar let out a silent sob as he stared into the sky. He was never exactly close to Taenaran, not since his mother died when he was 12. His father had always been slightly… out of touch with his son. So much so that when he was receiving news of his wife’s descent into labour, he was said to have only nodded, and silently rise from his desk to stand at his wife’s side. Still, as distant as they were, Sylvar had been dreading the foreboding letter from his father’s steward that showed up on his doorstep. He had always been a sickly man, and the young elf knew that he wasn’t much longer for this world - the void would be calling for him soon. And it did. Taenaran had passed not near an hour ago, yet Sylvar could not waver. He discussed all the necessary paperwork with the family steward and was already on his way.

Boarding the ship, he settled down in his cabin and stared at the glistening moon’s reflection upon the water. Sylvar pulled up his sleeve to reread those words which had always steeled and comforted him. “You shall respect the worth of words.” Yet words now seemed meaningless, a mere means to an end. His silent tears running down his cheeks, Sylvar lowered his head.

No book, no tale, no song could aid him now. Not with realising how unbearably alone he had become in this world.

Last edited:

Jase

"Something need doing?"
Legend
Yep. Silas is dead. RIP
Welcome to the server!!!

Congratulations!

I'm pleased to announce your application has been approved. I hope you enjoy your stay in Altera. Before logging on make sure you read the Survival Guide. It will help you on your way to get established in our World. If you need to know any additional information, everything can be found in our King's Law. Make sure you consult either of these two before asking a question ingame.

If you're stuck unable to interact with anything or chat, try using /warp whitelist, if this doesn't work then please message a staff member with the problem.

+You are probably eager to jump into the game, so there is no need to read all the links. Just use these as a reference for later.+

Survival Guide - Read this to help when you login!
The King's Law
How to Create a Character
Roleplay
The Official Lore
Town Census
Plugins Command Guide
Donate to the Server!

Lastly, please make sure you understand the following points.

+Do not Powergame, Metagame or use X-Rays on the server! Our moderation team makes sure to deal with severe reports.
+ Anyone found to be griefing our server and subsequently blaming their sibling, friend, dog or any other person other than themselves will be banned irrespective of their innocence.