Custom Items; their place in RP and more.

Squidziod

Sea Dweller
Staff member
Squidziod
Squidziod
If only for aesthetic purposes, I wholeheartedly support.

Adding additional magic things, should it relate-- I have no developed opinion currently.

Raphael Payne

Lord of Altera
Mystic
Raphael_Payne
Raphael_Payne
Mystic
I am naturally opposed to any 'overpowered' artifices in existence, though true is it that some will conceive them to be immensely powerful-- whereas if this were implemented, such would no longer be a problem and boundaries would be drawn to negate this.

Id like to be able to make things a little nicer than just making an iron sword and naming it "Player's Cutlass/Dagger/etc." and it just being italicized, some extra description and whatnot would be nice. I think the only problem I have with this is that it might interfere with the Conquest thing we've got going on where you name a sword Cutlass, Hunting Knife, etc. and the sprite looks like that item, but even then not everyone uses that and it's not too big a deal

Raphael Payne

Lord of Altera
Mystic
Raphael_Payne
Raphael_Payne
Mystic
Id like to be able to make things a little nicer than just making an iron sword and naming it "Player's Cutlass/Dagger/etc." and it just being italicized, some extra description and whatnot would be nice. I think the only problem I have with this is that it might interfere with the Conquest thing we've got going on where you name a sword Cutlass, Hunting Knife, etc. and the sprite looks like that item, but even then not everyone uses that and it's not too big a deal
A very easy note;
Even if I were to say, take an iron sword and rename it- 'Steel Greatsword', it would show off the greatsword model and actually make it w/ colored text too. C:

Solus

Solzilla
Staff member
Server Owner
We have a Hollow crafting plugin already that's able to allow us to put in lore and change names of the item. Adding another may mess or clash with it, which is why I'm hesitant reading this. I'll see if Tiberione has thoughts and pass it on to the rest of the team as I'd rather allow our current plugin be usable to the playerbase if there's a way to moderate if someone uses it for nefarious reasons rather than add a plugin that'll conflict with it.

Rossu

Lord of Altera
Mystic
Rossu_
Rossu_
LegendMystic
We have a Hollow crafting plugin already that's able to allow us to put in lore and change names of the item. Adding another may mess or clash with it, which is why I'm hesitant reading this. I'll see if Tiberione has thoughts and pass it on to the rest of the team as I'd rather allow our current plugin be usable to the playerbase if there's a way to moderate if someone uses it for nefarious reasons rather than add a plugin that'll conflict with it.
Is there a thread that's a guide to this plugin?

Solus

Solzilla
Staff member
Server Owner
Nay - it's strictly used for event and server event items when requested right now. If it was available to the public playerbase, I'd have us write a guide.

Solus

Solzilla
Staff member
Server Owner
Do we have a word on this, if it's majorly incompatible, or if there is something in the works.
We decided we didn't want to test out and see how it'd messup our custom plugins when we already have something similar. We'll be trying to implement our available plugin on adding lore to items to the playerbase, but need time to sort out details. Will have to ask players to sit tight on this one for now.

Antilogy

#ImNotKiddingMaddi
Retired Staff
We decided we didn't want to test out and see how it'd messup our custom plugins when we already have something similar. We'll be trying to implement our available plugin on adding lore to items to the playerbase, but need time to sort out details. Will have to ask players to sit tight on this one for now.
When I advocated for implementing lore text on items, I was told that adding lore text had significant ramifications on the meaning of the item and that it should only be done in very specific and certain occasions. I have no idea if that will factor into this. cherry and naelwyn might know more about what I'm saying.

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
When I advocated for implementing lore text on items, I was told that adding lore text had significant ramifications on the meaning of the item and that it should only be done in very specific and certain occasions. I have no idea if that will factor into this. cherry and naelwyn might know more about what I'm saying.
I'm a fan of lore text on items as a means of signing them as genuine rewards for some task. E.g. the items Gods give out.

Solus

Solzilla
Staff member
Server Owner
From a management point of view, ramifications include actually moderating it, making sure no one abuses their lore text with spam, innapropriate swears or sexual innuendoes (some jokes tend to be fine), and possibility of breaching lore by making things up in words.

From a looser point of view- having a craft text ability would give more value to items and allow more creativity to belongings.

My thought process here is- Do we want to go the little extra mile of light moderating to allow it so that players can have a little more entertainment in their time here? What’s the worst case scenario- and can it be remedied quickly? Are the playerbase of now a little more mature that they’d follow rules so they can have this nice feature? I’m mostly inclined to say yes. And if a few don’t play nice, it won’t be hard to remove the ability.

Scardrac

o7
Retired Staff
From a management point of view, ramifications include actually moderating it, making sure no one abuses their lore text with spam, innapropriate swears or sexual innuendoes (some jokes tend to be fine), and possibility of breaching lore by making things up in words.

From a looser point of view- having a craft text ability would give more value to items and allow more creativity to belongings.

My thought process here is- Do we want to go the little extra mile of light moderating to allow it so that players can have a little more entertainment in their time here? What’s the worst case scenario- and can it be remedied quickly? Are the playerbase of now a little more mature that they’d follow rules so they can have this nice feature? I’m mostly inclined to say yes. And if a few don’t play nice, it won’t be hard to remove the ability.
https://hollowworld.co.uk/threads/artifacts-of-altera.41333/

Makes these a whole lot more fun.

Luam

Legend of Altera
Hero
SirLiam1124
SirLiam1124
Hero
Wouldn't any misuses of the plugin be easily remedied by doing the same thing as the /fly option and putting it behind an IG paywall for players, and applying the same rules as /fly, by removing it from players if it's abused by them?

Solus

Solzilla
Staff member
Server Owner
Wouldn't any misuses of the plugin be easily remedied by doing the same thing as the /fly option and putting it behind an IG paywall for players, and applying the same rules as /fly, by removing it from players if it's abused by them?
That is indeed my plan :')

Fate3

Loyal Servant of Altera
I wholeheartedly support this notion, of having custom items that players can design to add flavor to their role-play as well as their interactions. It's an incredibly appealing feeling, seeing an object imbued with the significance that you give it: unhindered by the Minecraft model associated with a specific item. In that same vein, I also understand that there are significant conditions that need to be met before this proposal could work properly on the server. As such, I thought I'd quickly outline the best method, in my opinion, to deal with the various time restraints and abuses that could arise.

In years previous, I chose to deal with the creation of custom items via a forum request thread. Here, players could list the item that they wished to have changed and post the short description that they wanted paired with it. On top of this, players would need to identify the price (which would be listed based upon the item and the length of the text) that they were going to pay for said item. Upon doing so, the item would be examined for approval to make sure that the text presented was appropriate for the server. Once the legitimacy was confirmed and the staff approved it, the item would then be sent to a player (one specifically approved by staff to use and handle the creation of these items through application) whom would make the item and collect the payment for it.

In doing it this way, players could have the potential to wield this plugin should they prove to be well-versed in it and are willing to fill out an application to justify that they're trustworthy enough for the position. Having this power also means that you're willing to make items for other players when they're requested, keeping in mind that those who do make these items will be compensated for their work. This method would save staff time (given they only need to put their stamp on the item and not actually make it) and would help improve the economy by allowing players to make money doing something that enriches the role-play experience for everyone. Just a thought, but feel free to use any part of this process if it appealed to you in any way. Honestly, I just really want to see a stick that I can properly show as a lute! I think the most interesting application of this feature, isn't to make something powerful but to instead make mundane things meaningful...and that's what I'm advocating.

Last edited: