Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[Discussion] Tips For Roleplay Improvement

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
Immeraels Tips for New Players who have little RP Experience or first time on an MC RP Server

I'd like to preface this with I'm just a player but the following things I have noticed new players do and I remember @Niek Morenta telling me about some of these things when I first joined which I thought might help folks. These things are simple things that will improve your roleplay quality and hopefully help generate more quality RP.

1. RP Enter or exiting a building that has players in it if you intend on RPing in it. This is pretty simple one yet if you just joined you can make the assumption that "I opened the door obviously and came in". Yet due to the nature of MC typing and restraints that action doesn't allow others to react to your character and maybe that door you just walked through is locked IC. When you focus on an RP I'm not always paying attention to my surroundings in the game as much as the text itself, if you suddenly start RPing at the "Important" part of where your saying hello I can only assume you've magicked yourself into existence in front of my character.

2. If you suddenly log in and folks are in your immediate vicinity RPing and you wish to join, exit the place OOCly and rejoin ICly through proper emotes. This was a personal failing of mine when I first joined that likely drove poor Niek insane. When I started Azure was sleeping in Thiil's library for a while. (Don't ask me it was bad RP). I would log out and then log in and want to RP but that doesn't make sense. The characters there would have noticed a 6'4 Silver Elf with brilliant Silver hair. This is for public areas and has many exceptions but use common sense here. Ask yourself "If I existed here when these folks started this RP would I have been noticed?". If the answer is yes, you should probably leave the room/building and re enter through appropriate RP.

3. Avoid Outliers in human's in your character. This means things like Gigantism, Bruce Lee level reflexes, Perfect memory of long ago minor details, Sudden burst of adrenal allowing you the strength to shove boulders, being able to catch an arrow out of the sky when shot from a slow bow, etc. There ARE humans capable of such feats or born with these conditions in real world that is undeniable. Except for your first character and until you have a firm grasp on RP I would avoid these things like the plague. A lot of these skirt a fine line between acceptable and powergaming/metagaming and the way they are RPed tends to determine whether they are such or not.

4. Be Patient. Hollowworld RP isn't like tabletop gaming, where I got my start in RP. In tabletop games things happen and RP is really just an excuse to do things and in some groups takes a completely secondary if not tertiary seat to having fun. Which is fine. Hollowworld however works on a slower time scale advances are measured in weeks and months and it is not uncommon to see years of development, not days. I drove @IceandFire half mad when I started with my incessant attempts to try and summon a God/ Do an event in Thiil. So I understand being hyped for the community and wanting to do things but calm down and let things flow naturally and don't try to force them. In HW proper RP takes precedent over "Doing something". Though fun should always be a major factor! Once you give it a chance I think you'll find yourself suprised by how rewarding working such a long time on something can be.

5. Until you learn how Hollowworld Combat works, avoid it. Or get a teacher. Hollowworld has a unique combat system as the generally used system. It's a detailed full RP system with generally no rolling or stats. However this is not official Hollowworld combat, its just something the players have made a standard. If you really want to get involved in combat there are tons of RP combat folks who I'm sure would love to teach you and add new folks to their groups. Also you may find other folks are fine with combat based totally upon rolling or some sort of mixture between the two. It all depends on who you're RPing with. I would exercise extreme caution though when first joining and wouldn't make a character prone to violence until I learned these things.

6. Ask Questions if your confused! Even if you've already asked them before! Seriously if you find the rules on Alts are confusing to you ask! This applies to RP and OOC things as well. The Community (Players and Staff) can't help you if they don't know you need it. You can look at the help and support threads when they are made the community jumps on them with the chance to to help.

Last edited:

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
*raises finger in objection...thinks about it for a bit before putting finger down* I'll admit, that was pretty bad on my part.
No need to feel bad and it wasn't calling you out just using examples I knew. We all have bad RP stories that at the time seemed perfectly reasonable but upon retrospection we grudgingly accept was utter nonsense. Like Azure a Silver Elf bumming in Thiil's library and stealing Nireth's cake to stay alive while attempting to do a Sallana summon. :p

Mistakes are how we all improve, no shame to be had here. :heart:

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
No need to feel bad and it wasn't calling you out just using examples I knew. We all have bad RP stories that at the time seemed perfectly reasonable but upon retrospection we grudgingly accept was utter nonsense. Like Azure a Silver Elf bumming in Thiil's library and stealing Nireth's cake to stay alive while attempting to do a Sallana summon. :p

that sounds like it'd make a hilarious comic, and would be just as funny as him drunk and riding a pig... OH! I must contribute! Uhhhhhhhhh, research the alcohol content of different drinks if your character is a drinker! Please don't drink whiskey like it's water, that's for veteran drinking dwarves. ALSO! Drinking for 50 years doesn't mean it's impossible to get drunk, in fact, it makes it more probable because of teh damage done to your liver...unless you're a dwarf, then you're ok. (Maybeidunnodon'thurtmepweez)

Lady Alec

Captain No Fun
Mystic
Retired Staff
Lady_Alec
Lady_Alec
LegendMystic

That was my cake you stole! :p

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
2. If you suddenly log in and folks are in your immediate vicinity RPing and you wish to join, exit the place OOCly and rejoin ICly through proper emotes. This was a personal failing of mine when I first joined that likely drove poor Niek insane. When I started Azure was sleeping in Thiil's library for a while. (Don't ask me it was bad RP). I would log out and then log in and want to RP but that doesn't make sense. The characters there would have noticed a 6'4 Silver Elf with brilliant Silver hair. This is for public areas and has many exceptions but use common sense here. Ask yourself "If I existed here when these folks started this RP would I have been noticed?". If the answer is yes, you should probably leave the room/building and re enter through appropriate RP.
Yuuuuuup. "I've been in a two hour long RP in this library and you're telling me you expect Cena to have never noticed this guy standing in the corner until just now? >.>"

:heart:

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
Also! Something I wanted to post about relationships of the luvey duvey smoochey smoochey kind (this isn't directed at anyone, just informing new peoplez). There are a few things to keep in mind when having two characters being romantically involved with each other:
1:Keep IC, guys, don't have your character instantly fall in love with a woman/guy just because YOU think they'd make a match, I'm the only one with a matchmaker on the server (so far, also, that is not meant to be taken seriously *punched for explaining joke*) But also, if your character is in a relationship, and something happens that changes how your character would view their S.O. from their point of view? Make it happen. example:
*Dasyra sees Alustrum hugging Lizzy, not knowing who Lizzy is, and having Dasyra be a bit possessive, she'd get a bit angry. If Alustrum doesn't like women jumping to conclusions, he might not like Dasyra as much, relationship may have rocky future.*
2: a common misconception is that two people have to really know each other in order to fall in love, this is not entirely true. HOWEVER, NO LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT!! There is a LARGE difference between 'Love' and 'Attraction' attraction can lead to love, but they're certainly not the same, here is an example of how some romantic relationships can progress:
Stranger-Acquaintance-Friend-Good Friend-Close Friend-Crush-Attracted-In Love-Courting-Engaged-Married
that is the longest one can go, HOWEVER, steps can be skipped, or even switched, you can even backtrack...to go forward.
Stranger-Attracted- Friend-Courting-Close Friend
no, this is not getting friendzoned, this is a person who became attracted to another, then found "eh, not the kind of person I'd devote my life to, but they're still a good friend. What's this? A romantic relationship that ended well with both sides agreeing to remain friends? Blasphemy you may say! To which I respond...really?
3:Things change, people change, 2 people so in love with eachother that they ignore the world (Id better not see that, that's just unhealthy obsession), can find that they wake up one day and discover, le gasp! I do not le love him le anymore! first of all, no more le's, this isn't memebase *punches self*. But at the same time, people change, a married couple can decide that...its just not working anymore, break it off, try other people, find THAT doesnt work either, decide to have some drinks...and rekindle what they once had. Relationships aren't a black and white zone where one is trapped in either side...it's more like a swirling gray ocean that occasionally sucks someone deeper than they thought they'd be.
4: your thoughts are your own, just because your character's love interest hates your character, no reason to hate em back, heck, some of the best love stories are written using this idea (pride and prejudice i believe, unless im mistaken, then shun me...shun me to nonexistance)
5: Keep in mind what your character is...Introvert? Extrovert? One-eyed,one-horned,flying,purple people eater? Whatever they are, helps determine their comfortability in a relationship EXAMPLE: Dasyra has been sheltered for much of her life, and, while she wants someone to love, is embarassed with public displays of affection. Roy was raised amongst a tribe of Dwarves, in which he is found to be perfectly comfortable in his emotions, so he doesn't care where affections are shown...unless it's during a life threatening situation "WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO KISS ME WHILE IM WRESTLING THIS ALLIGATOR?!"
6: MARRIAGE DOESNT HAPPEN OVERNIGHT, and neither does "bow chika wow wows" keep in mind what your character is like and make sure they follow that guideline when they move on in a relationship. If your character wants to move on slowly, but their partner is pushing to take the next step, don't just say OOC'ly "That wouldn't happen cause my character wouldnt like it." Instead, show your character doesn't like it, and then take the response you deem appropriate, notice I didn't say "Have them deny it", it's quite simple, some people are pushovers, they might not want to take the next step, but if their partner wants to do so, they might give in. Like I said, stick to the character, this is your holy rule, follow it above all else... unless it gets you banned, then don't.
7:This ones a restatement of a rule of roleplaying but, "We don't want to hear about your boinking" Keep it out of the server, and off the forums. In this situation, skype is your friend.
8: Kissing isn't talking, a couple that smiles at eachother, talks about their childhood and interests, and just holds hands, is either in love, or trying to confuse everyone else...a couple that's making out for 2 meters of chat log is heavily attracted to eachother, but i wouldn't say "in-love" a good movie as an example is "The Heartbreak Kid" not the best movie, but good for this situation.
9: Don't be desperate, not all characters are meant to have a soulmate. dont go looking for people that your character can get with (made that mistake)don't have your character "fall in love" with every person who's single and willing. and please, please, PLEASE, don't post a thread looking for a partner, it hasnt happened yet, to my knowledge, but I'm pretty sure it wont work, unless it's an arranged marriage, then that'd work actually.
10: Have patience, let your character be themselves and either they'll find someone...or they wont, that's life.

Last edited:

Birdileen

Loyal Servant of Altera
When you're trying to learn skills, what's the best way to go about it? I've been doing some reading to try and get a foothold around here and I see that it's best to learn skills from a teacher. Is it frowned upon to do solo RP to practice a certain skill? Should you only RP learning/practicing that skill with someone around as witness?

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
When you're trying to learn skills, what's the best way to go about it? I've been doing some reading to try and get a foothold around here and I see that it's best to learn skills from a teacher. Is it frowned upon to do solo RP to practice a certain skill? Should you only RP learning/practicing that skill with someone around as witness?
feel free to have your character learn skills on your own, I actually had Roy pretty much self teach himself most of what he works with, though try to make it believable, like if I had Roy take a look at armor and perfectly replicate the first time, I wouldn't have had as much fun as when I was rping him getting frustrated, cursing, banging his stress out and then retrying it. Also, books are good, but they don't teach everything about what your character may learn, they'll teach a small niche of it, like for medical stuff, there'd probably be a book on different herbs and if they're posionous or not, another book would be on different remedies for common illnesses, another on common injuries, heck, your character may find one on war wounds, though that'd be geared towards war doctors so it might use terms your character isn't familiar with. The biggest thing to keep in mind is what you're learning, take a look at lore and see if staff should be present for solo rp or not, though thats pretty much just ffor making new metals, making potions, and messing with redstone ICly (i think) you will need a teacher for magic, though that's still in the works. Mind if i ask what your character is trying to learn?

Elz

hmm
Staff member
Admin
Very Sweet
I think if you can find someone who also does the skill you're after learning, it's simply more enjoyable to have someone to RP with. Learning, IMO, is something that just occurs over time, the slow culmination of skill and experience as you roleplay more. It's the ones who have significant skills when the character is first made that irk people, I think.

And - Yeah, some people roleplay it out on their own too. c:

Jazzper

Hi [Unsuspecting Comment], I'm Jazzper
Legend
Blessed
Jasper151627237
Jasper151627237
Legend
Thôrdil, my char, started out as a Blacksmith wannabe.
After making the right friends, gathering info and reading books he started to improve. It took him many IC years to become a good Blacksmith.
Then, when he felt ready, he looked for a teacher once more but didn't find one. So he asked those with experience, asked scholars, read books and notes and did a LOAD of trial-and error.

It takes waaaaaay longer to learn how to do something through notes, verbal information and trial-and-error than through a teacher.