Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Discussion: Why is your character the race it is?

Landem

Lord of Altera
Aldi is elfy because i have always really really liked elves. unfortunately certain things have changed her from the girl she once was ;o;

tilly is dwarven because dwarves are cool and there isnt enough of them

they're all humans otherwise
pascal should've been earthspawn tbh
race is something i should think about more!!

MaelstromPuddle

Lord of Altera
Legend
Auralein
Auralein
Legend
I chose the Moor Elf because i've always liked Dark Elves, because of the evil and lost side to them, but they could be surprisingly charming, and I am glad I helped expand the races lore

blargtheawesome

... is very scientifical.
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Staff
Nwalme's an Elf because Basil was; I also, at the time of making him, felt kind of like makin' a character that actually aged.. quicker than I, in hindsight, should've aged him.

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
First character, Faelin, is and was Forest Elven, originally dubbed Wood Elven, since there was no written culture lore at the time. Reason being very simply that it made sense with her heritage. After lots of changes and backstory reforms, I found that it still made the most sense to suit her starting circumstances. Italicised because it does not necessarily reflect her belief system, upbringing, or subsequent lifestyle: on account of how RP shaped the character, it remained a largely biological/instinctive part of the character, and less a cultural one.

Second character, Evelyn Arwedhel, is and was Silver Elven, and quite fortunately her former lifestyle fit beautifully with the newly written culture lore. The choice to play this culture, though, was originally very much by design. Something something related to both Moor Elves (formerly Dark Elves) via marriage and fancy Silver Elven nobles by birth, shifty arranged marriages to bolster various reputations and claims. Stuff.

Third character created (though the fourth I played), a certain Jarl, had to be human to have and keep her position in House Lonmar, and to align with the traditions of the new culture I had been writing: the Norvägen. As I had said I would play Draco's successor in order to manage the House, human it was - as being born otherwise would have led to a life beyond the borders of the Northern Kingdoms, and the character would not have been able to take that role.

Fourth character created (though the third I played), Rissy, was a human because they are the most populous and non-specific of the races, and that suited the typical peasant background - her having been raised on a farm in lands around a town some miles away. Non-specific, one of many, but very much an individual, and overall very robust, if blunt in her ways. It felt fitting for humanity.

Fifth character created (though never played), "Old Mab", is human because I wanted to try playing an aged character - something already out of my experience, and therefore comfort zone. I did not want to have to get my head around the very different ethics, traditions, and values of an entirely different race at the same time - also things clearly outside any first person experience of my own.

Sixth character created, Safri'kah, was created expressly for the purpose of experimenting with a character of a very different physiology and culture to the rest, a Nakat, and while I'm unsure whether I ever quite did that justice, I enjoyed the experience and think I've learned a bit from it.

Overall, though, and over time, I do feel that I've personally been drifting towards playing only human characters in the future. There's just such diversity within that race alone that I find it utterly inexhaustible, and often easier to relate to in simple ways, which opens up the opportunity to make a character more unique in the subtle ones.

Scardrac

Felsummer
Let us disregard the "first character".

I decided to keep Scardrac as a human because they are such a wider blank canvas than most other races. It's not open for discussion, as it is my belief. Humans have so little guidelines to follow, and you can let loose. I don't have to worry about different body functions or calculations, because I am a human and I can figure things out easier like that.

That, and elves are wusses.

TheDeester

One so Bereft of Light
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Evil
Staff
Shadow Hedgehog
Pronouns
He/Him
GrapeFlavDragons
GrapeFlavDragons
Evil
Abel is a human because half-bloods were abolished, being prior Human/Forest Elf because I enjoyed that idea for some reason. The human half is greater in priority mostly because of how his pre-server story had him in a culture that was very human-set, so it made sense to remain with what suited. The Forest Elf half is convenient in his perspective of Theodra, which is a core part of the character at this time.

Kolde Aras was essentially a Moor skinned Human, but he did take some more racial traits over time, mostly softer interaction with the others in his race, Albiorix in particular. Later being treated with severe racism, and eventual martyrdom for it, I did enjoy playing a Moor Elf for the different take on the Alteran world.

Glenn Arretez is Forest Elf dominant because I didn't want his mother to outlive him.

Styrkar is Norvägen because the then-forming undertow crew was set to be very diverse. He had been very consistent with his culture for the time I'd played him, though he was very simple to assure I had a scapegoat if I stepped out of the cultural bounds. Now having a brighter idea of what the culture is like, I would endeavour in making another Norväg sometime, when free. It is among my favourite cultures and it hurts a bit to see so few.

Arakor was as well a Moor, being treated with a more distinctly passive racism in our common-day Altera. He was supposed to stick very close to newer editions of the Moor Elf lore, and (I like to think) performed such adequately. He is also predominantly in association with the Grey Lady, whom is the Goddess of the Moors.

All of my other characters have been humans as they were rather bland archetypes, that steered to other things. Godric, Adrian, and Gideon all being such as there were no common Northern Races at the time. (Though Dwarf would be sweet.)

Sassy

Lord of Altera
Legend
SewSassy
SewSassy
Legend
I chose Maloki to be a Forest Elf because I feel that I find its the complete opposite of what I have done in the past. I think his short size would in turn make it difficult for him to find clothes that fit him- thus he started his own fashion business. :p

Rosary_Omen

Lord of Altera
Legend
Pronouns
He/Him
Rosary_Omen
Rosary_Omen
Legend
Garrett is a halfling coz... halflings rule! (Also the original version I had of him, was a halfling made for an RP that never went anywhere.)
Rosethorn is a Caparii coz why not? :D
Aldion was a Moor Elf because I do like elves, but the Silver and Forest elves didn't interest me at that point.

If I could have played one of those cat people, I'd have done it in a heartbeat. :3 I love me some anthros.

Tybalt

Lord of Altera
Garrett is a halfling coz... halflings rule! (Also the original version I had of him, was a halfling made for an RP that never went anywhere.)
Rosethorn is a Caparii coz why not? :D
Aldion was a Moor Elf because I do like elves, but the Silver and Forest elves didn't interest me at that point.

If I could have played one of those cat people, I'd have done it in a heartbeat. :3 I love me some anthros.
Was it for the RP I think it was for :3

Jstar

Exitus acta probat
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
JstarGames
JstarGames
Good
Daeron was originally a High Elf, so when it came to the new Elven sub-races Silver Elves were the logical choice for him.
It just fits his personality so well. That, and his uncle Kuthian was a High Elf as well~

Vaeril was originally a Syrien character who was converted due the thing with the Syrie. That's the reason he doesn't exactly conform to the Silver Elf lore that well.

Thordin is a Dwarf because drunken Dwarf.

Thyia was the simple answer for me trying out two different RP styles: Female and Goat.

Michcat

i'm the wench if you're the cake ;)
Vaeril was originally a Syrien character who was converted due the thing with the Syrie. That's the reason he doesn't exactly conform to the Silver Elf lore that well.
Uh, bro

That actually never got to take place because all the syrien players decided to bail before the event for that could occur (A former staff member who was staff at the time abused confidentiality of knowing about plans beforehand and decided to tell everyone all the syrien were being 'killed off' and everyone ragequit before the transfer concept could be put into motion.)

Jstar

Exitus acta probat
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
JstarGames
JstarGames
Good
Uh, bro

That actually never got to take place because all the syrien players decided to bail before the event for that could occur (A former staff member who was staff at the time abused confidentiality of knowing about plans beforehand and decided to tell everyone all the syrien were being 'killed off' and everyone ragequit before the transfer concept could be put into motion.)
Idk, it just kinda happened I guess. Vaeril was a fresh character anyway, nothing was carried over but his colour scheme.

Balatro

Don't call it a comeback
Retired Staff
Bal is a human because I have a difficult time picturing anyone slumming it up as another race. I mean, I can strain myself to see it but theres an appiel to a dirty, beatendown human.

Belra is a dwarf Becuase I wanted a craftsmen, who would be respected in the longterm as a teacher of her trade, dwarfs are often held in the highest regard in this field. Also decided on reverse gender becuase I wanted to challenge myself as a roleplayer, and there are little to no female dwarves.