Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[Draft #2] War Guidelines

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil

War Guidelines (draft two)

I. Casus Belli
II. Consent

1. Active Fighters
II. Revival

III. Mechanics
I. Travel
II. Skirmishes
III. Battles
IV. Naval Battles
V. Sieges

I. Casus Belli - “an act or situation provoking or justifying war.”

By granting the enemy a valid Casus Belli, the offending faction consents to war. Valid Casus Belli are:

- The killing of another realm’s nobility without serious punishment of the murderer
- The raiding of another realm’s land, including castles, villages, and forts
- Plotting to assassinate or depose another realm’s nobility, if discovered
- Plotting or preparing for war, if discovered by the target of said preparation
- The breaking of treaty terms
- Settling of land within another realm’s borders [Author's note - If you claim stupid amounts of land without having the regions to back it up, staff will likely deny your claim for war. Be sensible.]
- Unlawful detainment of another realm’s nobility or peasantry
- Thievery of another realm’s heirloom, such as a crown or religious scepter
- The sinking of trade ships or the raiding of caravans
- The mobilizing of fighting men in another realm
- If a local lord vassalized, plotting against your monarch is cause for valid Casus Belli on their part

Before declaring war with a Casus Belli, a faction must submit a request with the offense to the moderation team. It will then be either approved or denied. Allies on both sides do not consent until declaring their intent to honor their alliance.

II. Consent - When a faction consents to war, who within it does?
I. Active Fighters
II. Revival

I. Anyone classified as an ‘active fighter’ consents to violence. Active fighters include the land owning nobility of a realm (unless they should betray their oath) and anyone else listed in threads provided and maintained by the leadership of the opposing realms. To prevent disorder, each side will have only one thread. Any allies fighting together, be it as part of a coalition, pact, or treaty, will share a thread. Neither side may use anyone unlisted in battles or skirmishes. The lists may be edited to remove and add players as their characters desert or join a side. Note that being an 'active fighter' is only consent - if a noble chooses to go into hiding but send their forces to fight, they are still consenting and thus an active fighter.

II. Active fighters may not revive until the war has concluded (or at the end of a single month in which there are no battles or sieges), at which point any in the queue will revive all at once. If choosing to drop out of the war entirely, normal revival times apply.

Citizens are not valid targets and do not consent unless they remain in the area of a known battle or siege, and do not have to be listed as active fighters.

III. Mechanics
I. Travel
II. Skirmishes
III. Battles
IV. Naval Battles
V. Sieges

I. To reach a destination to begin a battle or a siege, an army must march. A march includes the actual movement of the army and the setting up of a war camp. While encamped, an army may raid any opposing faction’s war camps if located within 1000 blocks or engage in a field battle. Marching is not limited to one side, making it possible to cut off an enemy army and face them in the field. If two opposing sides set up war camps within 1000 blocks of each other, neither may advance until one side has been routed or has chosen to retreat back. If an army chooses to let the other pass without retaliation, this is of course at the the two party's discretion. Travel functions by the opposing sides acting in turns of where they wish to go. The turn with the closer destination finishes first, the other then completing. The same applies for moving ships and the men on them. In the case of both sides agreeing one may travel to their destination immediately - such as to make an event date that works best for all involved - then they are free to do so.

If an army is marching within its own borders to deal with a treasonous vassal or a foreign invader, they may set up a war camp within the previously mentioned borders as their initial turn.

Confrontation between enemy armies fall into four categories: skirmishes, battles, naval battles, and sieges.

II. A skirmish is any fight between active fighters outside of a planned event. They require no DM.

III. A battle is a large scale attack on the opposing faction. It requires working out a date for an event with the leadership of the enemy so both sides can field their faction’s members, and messaging the event team to notify them of your plans so they can bring an appropriate amount of DMs to the event. A war camp within 1000 blocks of the intended battlefield is required.

IV. A naval battle requires the creation of an event with staff DMs and the opposing faction’s leadership, following the same general rules as above. Bombardment of coastal forts and cities are counted underneath this.

V. Sieges require a war camp within 500 blocks of the location, an event with the staff team and opposing faction, and at least six days between the establishment of the camp and the siege if constructing war machines beyond simple ladders and rams. If storming the gates without any of these things, such as in a naval landing, then consider these prerequisites null at DM discretion..

Last edited:

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
The only significant changes are the ability to drop from the war in order to receive a normal revival time, and a complete revamp of the travel system to be less cumbersome.

If this draft is well received, the goal of draft number three will be to have modifiers for terrain and perhaps some random events. If anyone has ideas for how to handle those, feel free to PM me or discuss it here.

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
I have zero interest in ever utilizing war rules myself, but these are pretty great, common sense guidelines. I especially like how you have kept in mind the purpose - which is to provide a framework for when folks just cannot play nice together (let's be honest, in the case of war, more likely to happen).

I especially appreciate the organization, which some other threads don't have.

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
I have zero interest in ever utilizing war rules myself, but these are pretty great, common sense guidelines. I especially like how you have kept in mind the purpose - which is to provide a framework for when folks just cannot play nice together (let's be honest, in the case of war, more likely to happen).

I especially appreciate the organization, which some other threads don't have.
Thanks for the feedback. I just like the color red.

mokwar

Yū Yi
Evil
mokwar
mokwar
Evil
I have yet to read this to the detail it deserves, but I'd like to commend the dedication and intention behind writing these suggestions for war guidelines!

Lily_

Lord of Altera
Mystic
LillithLil_
LillithLil_
LegendMystic
Maybe have a number of set temps that may be used on either side of a war; Once they're gone and dead, they're gone. It adds incentive to play temps as actual characters.

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
Temporary characters should be something both sides agree on rather than allowed by default in the rules.

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
As far as I know for this to take effect for the current conflict only requires the consent of both sides leaders to transition from the current ones to this one. As I said I'm not invovled with the war either ICly or OOCly by design, I am interested in seeing progress made to improve the situation and fairness for both sides. If one or the other faction has issues with the draft, I would say bring it up and debate it so that it can improve. I do not know who the leaders of the other side are to tag them but given the lack of comment from their side, it implies they might have issues with it. Which is understandable, rules written up by the opposite side for both of them to play by are inherently suspect for good reason. However I would encourage dialogue, between the groups, about this so that it can not only benefit all the players invovled but the server as a whole.

*Do not take this as staff endorsement of these rules, this is a solo statement made by Imm without consulting staff team.*

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
As far as I know for this to take effect for the current conflict only requires the consent of both sides leaders to transition from the current ones to this one. As I said I'm not invovled with the war either ICly or OOCly by design, I am interested in seeing progress made to improve the situation and fairness for both sides. If one or the other faction has issues with the draft, I would say bring it up and debate it so that it can improve. I do not know who the leaders of the other side are to tag them but given the lack of comment from their side, it implies they might have issues with it. Which is understandable, rules written up by the opposite side for both of them to play by are inherently suspect for good reason. However I would encourage dialogue, between the groups, about this so that it can not only benefit all the players invovled but the server as a whole.

*Do not take this as staff endorsement of these rules, this is a solo statement made by Imm without consulting staff team.*
Don't worry, it's impossible to take this as an endorsement at all with you casually insinuating that it's being done for the benefit of a single faction of people, when the thing was written in 2016.

If (Your own words) you don't even know who the bloody leaders of one side are, how do you know they haven't commented?

This post is filled with all kinds of disingenuous insinuations and is disappointing to see from a Staff member in general, regardless of affiliations.

This is twice now that your posts have demonstrated a complete and utter lack of any kind of trust in the playerbase whatsoever, and to expect to have that kind of value set and be able to moderate any kind of interaction is... a faulty expectation.

Last edited:

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
Don't worry, it's impossible to take this as an endorsement at all with you casually insinuating that it's being done for the benefit of a single faction of people when the thing was written in 2016.

If (Your own words) you don't even know who the bloody leaders of one side are, how do you know they haven't commented?

This post is filled with all kinds of disingenuous insinuations and is disappointing to see from a Staff member in general, regardless of affiliations.

This is twice now that your posts have demonstrated a complete and utter lack of any kind of trust in the playerbase whatsoever, and to expect to have that kind of value set and be able to moderate any kind of interaction is... a faulty expectation.
Naelwyn, bro. Chill. The reason I said not to take it as an endorsement is because if I don't put a big disclaimer with my red title people will assume. Also I'm not saying its biased, I'm saying people tend to assume its biased to Rygan's factions favor by the sheer nature of it being written by him. Not by any token of the writing, its because people are wary when a group they are actively opposing, come up with rules. I actually found Rygan's writing pretty even handed and am a fan but as I'm not in the opposite factions shoes I may not see something they would object to hence why I wanted some conversation from their part.

As for how I know they haven't commented. Lets look at who's posted.

• Glados and Rygan, both actively a member of Kane/Vayrn a faction I can easily track its membership base as it doesn't fluctuate too much in my time here.
  • Mok who while part of Azerport I'm pretty sure is on LoA due to IRL. Feel free to correct me here Mok.
  • And Rossu, who may in fact be a part of the opposite faction but given as I was watching the last battle a bit on the meta map and Arianne was with Kane leadership I'm inclined to think not. Again feel free to correct me Rossu.

Those are the only folks who have posted so far Naelwyn. I know a few of the prominent members of the opposite faction but I don't know if they have an organization or hierarchy of leadership to tag. I know Blorbis, DDaug and Godfather are prominently invovled but I don't know which if any of them is appropriate to call their leader hence me wording it that way.

I'm not sure why you are upset about this as I'm literally approving of this thread. I think its good but it needs more feedback before I see if I can bring it up to more staff as a possible server wide base.

Solus

object oriented
Staff member
Admin
Retired Owner
Don't worry, it's impossible to take this as an endorsement at all with you casually insinuating that it's being done for the benefit of a single faction of people, when the thing was written in 2016.

What's disappointing to see is demeaning every aspect of my team and staff members the minute they give their own opinions on something, clearly stating it's as a member of the community. I always come to this conclusion when you rant with that mindset.. 'is he high?'

All he wrote was if players wanted to use this draft was to communicate with each other.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
What's disappointing to see is demeaning every aspect of my team and staff members the minute they give their own opinions on something, clearly stating it's as a member of the community. I always come to this conclusion when you rant with that mindset.. 'is he high?'

All he wrote was if players wanted to use this draft was to communicate with each other.
When you treat people with no trust or respect it's hard to expect them to give you any of it back in return.

Sorry you think that way but guess what? I treat everybody that speaks disingenuously the exact same way, staff or non-staff. That consistency is one of my pretty damn well enduring character traits.

Lily_

Lord of Altera
Mystic
LillithLil_
LillithLil_
LegendMystic
When you treat people with no trust or respect it's hard to expect them to give you any of it back in return.

Sorry you think that way but guess what? I treat everybody that speaks disingenuously the exact same way, staff or non-staff. That consistency is one of my pretty damn well enduring character traits.
It's almost like if you did that in the first place you'd get it back. Stop claiming you're on such a high-horse now.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Can you quote where he was disrespectful please? Or implying the players can't be trusted?
Sure, I don't mind. Here's your player-side perspective.

"This is a server wide warning, after which all players will be assumed warned and any infraction is very likely to result in your ban."

"I'm moderation team. My job is constantly dealing with players not following the rules in one way or another. That said that particular line was to more so to prevent people from accusing the folks who are flying of supplying the other side information etc etc. Sometimes rules are placed for the person doing the actions protection. More of a lets prevent as much drama from occurring in the first place as possible as I'm sure they'll be plenty more to come. "

"Which is understandable, rules written up by the opposite side for both of them to play by are inherently suspect for good reason. However I would encourage dialogue, between the groups, about this so that it can not only benefit all the players invovled but the server as a whole."

Solus is the one who just inherently treats me like shit and whom I cannot grant respect as a result.

I'm not going to get down on my knees and worship the ground you walk on just because you happen to own a Minecraft server. I didn't do it for Cherbert, I didn't do it for Sally, I didn't do it for Som, I didn't do it for Readij.

If you think somehow you are more deserving of my respect or loyalty than any of those people than prove it and earn it. Else, don't expect it.

Lily_

Lord of Altera
Mystic
LillithLil_
LillithLil_
LegendMystic
Sure, I don't mind. Here's your player-side perspective.

"This is a server wide warning, after which all players will be assumed warned and any infraction is very likely to result in your ban."

"I'm moderation team. My job is constantly dealing with players not following the rules in one way or another. That said that particular line was to more so to prevent people from accusing the folks who are flying of supplying the other side information etc etc. Sometimes rules are placed for the person doing the actions protection. More of a lets prevent as much drama from occurring in the first place as possible as I'm sure they'll be plenty more to come. "

"Which is understandable, rules written up by the opposite side for both of them to play by are inherently suspect for good reason. However I would encourage dialogue, between the groups, about this so that it can not only benefit all the players invovled but the server as a whole."

Solus is the one who just inherently treats me like shit and whom I cannot grant respect as a result.

I'm not going to get down on my knees and worship the ground you walk on just because you happen to own a Minecraft server. I didn't do it for Cherbert, I didn't do it for Sally, I didn't do it for Som, I didn't do it for Readij.

If you think somehow you are more deserving of my respect or loyalty than any of those people than prove it and earn it. Else, don't expect it.
You're the one that lingers around here, bud. As you've said yourself:

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
You're the one that lingers around here, bud.
You want to do some kind of response that isn't an ad-hominem?

Even Naelwyn, who doesn't even play on this server, has run more hours of community events than the event lead in the last month.

Every time every single one of you dings me for not playing on the sever you diminish plenty of other stuff. All you keep trying to say is "The minecraft server is better than the community" to which I must disagree with you.

Solus

object oriented
Staff member
Admin
Retired Owner
?? I came here to clarify and backup what Imm meant for the thread overall. Not run my mouth in a community I respect and you should to if you still want to be here.

Rygan, this is a nice writeup.