[Episode 1] A day in the life of... Earthspawn

Bartooliinii

The Artisan
Patron
Bartooliinii
Bartooliinii
Patron
"This video shows us a day in the life of your average Earthspawn family.
It features baby-care, Elf punching, Bear wrestling and a lot more!
Walk with us and see the wonders of their love."

ENJOY!

(did you spot all easter egg during the credits?)​

Credits:
Location(s): Mockingbay - McGuffin's Muff Inn
Many other random places in beautiful Altera.
Music: Somewhere over the rainbow - Kamikawiwo'ole
..............Let's Get It On - Marvin Gaye
..............Walking On Sunshine - Katrina & The Waves
Additional: Jazzper , Kamaoe and Elz for acting in the movie
And Elz also for helping out with tp's !
Created by Hollowworld Media Department

Last edited:

Backstay

Lord of Altera
So, is this server advertisement? The video seemed to be focused on pure comedy, but is that the kind of vibe you want to give off to newcomers? I mean, sure, some parts are fairly amusing, but the video was full of trying-too-hard comedy, sound effects and 'meme' songs. Maybe put a bigger focus on actually showcasing the 'Day in the life of an Earthspawn' as the video is actually titled. After watching this, I barely even know what an Earthspawn is. The scenes didn't even make any sense to me. I got that the first part was something about their babies screaming and the adults being tired of it, but I have absolutely no idea what the purpose of the other scenes were. In the scene following the baby one, there's just this one random guy standing still for a second, then running downhill, being followed by a flying cameraman whose shadow and abrupt movements can be seen. The guy then runs down to those two Earthspawn who are just chillin' by some tree, and as soon as he gets there, he gets scared and jumps up in the tree? Did I get that right?

I really don't want to be the guy who shits all over something people put hard work into. But if these videos are supposed to be showcasing the server, its community, lore and roleplaying, then why don't you put the main focus on that, rather than random scenes with trying-too-hard comedy, sound effects and 60s-80s music? Going to give you a like anyway, since you put work into it, and I don't want to shit all over that.

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Staff member
So, is this server advertisement? The video seemed to be focused on pure comedy, but is that the kind of vibe you want to give off to newcomers? I mean, sure, some parts are fairly amusing, but the video was full of trying-too-hard comedy, sound effects and 'meme' songs. Maybe put a bigger focus on actually showcasing the 'Day in the life of an Earthspawn' as the video is actually titled. After watching this, I barely even know what an Earthspawn is. The scenes didn't even make any sense to me. I got that the first part was something about their babies screaming and the adults being tired of it, but I have absolutely no idea what the purpose of the other scenes were. In the scene following the baby one, there's just this one random guy standing still for a second, then running downhill, being followed by a flying cameraman whose shadow and abrupt movements can be seen. The guy then runs down to those two Earthspawn who are just chillin' by some tree, and as soon as he gets there, he gets scared and jumps up in the tree? Did I get that right?

I really don't want to be the guy who shits all over something people put hard work into. But if these videos are supposed to be showcasing the server, its community, lore and roleplaying, then why don't you put the main focus on that, rather than random scenes with trying-too-hard comedy, sound effects and 60s-80s music? Going to give you a like anyway, since you put work into it, and I don't want to shit all over that.
Serious videos are like the ones that were made advertising the events in Compedium. We discussed making one for each of these events but the schedule was simply too fast for any amount of quality work to be done.

Poof came up with the idea for these comedy videos and we okayed it. As it stands we have a serious teaser and a comedy one. This is not trying too hard this is striking a balance.

There are more in line to be made both serious and comedy. The "the day in the life of" series is meant to be comedy. As for the earthspawn they really should only get a comedy video. They are a legacy race and serious advertising of them would be misleading to new players.

Backstay

Lord of Altera
Serious videos are like the ones that were made advertising the events in Compedium. We discussed making one for each of these events but the schedule was simply too fast for any amount of quality work to be done.

Poof came up with the idea for these comedy videos and we okayed it. As it stands we have a serious teaser and a comedy one. This is not trying too hard this is striking a balance.

There are more in line to be made both serious and comedy. The "the day in the life of" series is meant to be comedy. As for the earthspawn they really should only get a comedy video. They are a legacy race and serious advertising of them would be misleading to new players.
Ah, right. I couldn't tell if it was supposed to be serious, but then kind of went 'screw this' and just went all-out comedy. But I still think that the comedy feels fairly forced. Most of the time it's hard to tell what's even going on, and it often seems like some scenes are just an excuse to throw in a song. Like that scene where they just seem to be running for no reason. And the love scene that just ends with the failure-kind-of-music-and-sound-effect for no apparent reason. The polar bear one was fairly amusing though. I don't know. Just some critique here. The comedy sometimes feels forced, and some scenes just seem like excuses to play a certain song. I'll try and break down why I feel that some scenes were missing stuff. Let's take the one with the guy running towards the tree.

So this one dude stands till for a second before being given the signal to begin. And he runs down this hill towards a tree. We don't really know why. Is he out adventuring? Is he going to pick some apples? Is he going to get some wood? The camera man follows the guy with rough and abrupt movement, and this shadow can be seen. The dude finally reaches the tree, and somehow doesn't spot the Earthspawn until he's right beside them. They scream at him, and he jumps all the way up in the tree 'cause he gets scared. Same way as cats do. The camera zooms in on the Earthspawn looking up at him, and then the camera moves up to show the guy in the tree, but you can't actually see him.

I think there should've been more camera angles. Maybe let the viewer know why the guy is out there. Maybe not show the Earthspawn right from the beginning; have them show up behind him out of nowhere while the guy is picking apples or whatever he's supposed to do. When the cameraman tries to show the guy in the tree, make sure you can actually see him properly. I imagine that they wanted to show him sitting up there, looking down at the Earthspawn. And in the love scene, where the cameraman shows the view from each Earthspawn while the opposite one is running towards them. That doesn't relaly work out, 'cause everytime the camera shifts angles, the Earthspawn are back to their initial spots. At first you watch it from Kamaoe's point if view, where the other guy is running towards the camera. The guy runs all the way up to the camera. But in the next scene you watch it from the other guy's view, and then suddenly he is back at where he initially stood. Then Kamaoe runs all the way up to the camera. And when it zooms out two show them both from the side, they are once again both back to their initial spots as if they never moved at all. Point is, pay attention to details.

I don't want to be an ass here, but I just feel that the scenes are really missing some things, and the comedy feels forced at times. Sorry about the discussion and long post. Of course I appreciate that people spend time on making these things, and I believe that they could turn out very well, if you just take more time and look it through for mistakes and try to fix them. Also, the TV noise when transitioning between scenes is hella loud.

Lady Alec

Captain No Fun
Mystic
Retired Staff
Lady_Alec
Lady_Alec
LegendMystic
Ah, right. I couldn't tell if it was supposed to be serious, but then kind of went 'screw this' and just went all-out comedy. But I still think that the comedy feels fairly forced. Most of the time it's hard to tell what's even going on, and it often seems like some scenes are just an excuse to throw in a song. Like that scene where they just seem to be running for no reason. And the love scene that just ends with the failure-kind-of-music-and-sound-effect for no apparent reason. The polar bear one was fairly amusing though. I don't know. Just some critique here. The comedy sometimes feels forced, and some scenes just seem like excuses to play a certain song. I'll try and break down why I feel that some scenes were missing stuff. Let's take the one with the guy running towards the tree.

So this one dude stands till for a second before being given the signal to begin. And he runs down this hill towards a tree. We don't really know why. Is he out adventuring? Is he going to pick some apples? Is he going to get some wood? The camera man follows the guy with rough and abrupt movement, and this shadow can be seen. The dude finally reaches the tree, and somehow doesn't spot the Earthspawn until he's right beside them. They scream at him, and he jumps all the way up in the tree 'cause he gets scared. Same way as cats do. The camera zooms in on the Earthspawn looking up at him, and then the camera moves up to show the guy in the tree, but you can't actually see him.

I think there should've been more camera angles. Maybe let the viewer know why the guy is out there. Maybe not show the Earthspawn right from the beginning; have them show up behind him out of nowhere while the guy is picking apples or whatever he's supposed to do. When the cameraman tries to show the guy in the tree, make sure you can actually see him properly. I imagine that they wanted to show him sitting up there, looking down at the Earthspawn. And in the love scene, where the cameraman shows the view from each Earthspawn while the opposite one is running towards them. That doesn't relaly work out, 'cause everytime the camera shifts angles, the Earthspawn are back to their initial spots. At first you watch it from Kamaoe's point if view, where the other guy is running towards the camera. The guy runs all the way up to the camera. But in the next scene you watch it from the other guy's view, and then suddenly he is back at where he initially stood. Then Kamaoe runs all the way up to the camera. And when it zooms out two show them both from the side, they are once again both back to their initial spots as if they never moved at all. Point is, pay attention to details.

I don't want to be an ass here, but I just feel that the scenes are really missing some things, and the comedy feels forced at times. Sorry about the discussion and long post. Of course I appreciate that people spend time on making these things, and I believe that they could turn out very well, if you just take more time and look it through for mistakes and try to fix them. Also, the TV noise when transitioning between scenes is hella loud.
This was the first video of its kind. Yes there are things that could be improved, there always is, but why don't you cut our new guys a little slack so they can figure things out a bit. Feedback is good but a wall of text pointing out every little thing that could be better doesn't make a person feel good about there work. Try to remember that everyone here is volunteering their time and resources because they want to help out a server they love.

Backstay

Lord of Altera
Try to remember that everyone here is volunteering their time and resources because they want to help out a server they love.
Yeah, I just said that in my post too. I also apologized for the long post. I just wanted to prove my point saying that they should pay more attention to detail. Turned into a long-ass post, but didn't mean to.

Great video, maybe try working on making the setup to the joke more obvious though.

Also I will riot if there is not one planned already containing greylings drinking tea while some black metal plays