Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Fashion in the world of Altera

Tybalt

Lord of Altera
So I curiously witnessed something at the Crossroads today where a female character was called a prostitute because her skin was showing the knees and shoulders.

I was wondering if those sort of old medieval rules applied to Altera considering how it's not completely just cut and paste medieval. Women can be knights, fighters, more then just the old ways, so I was wondering if the fashions of showing shoulder or knees or really any sort of skin would be considered the look of a prostitute.

Does that sort of social stigma/assumption belong in a world? Or what is the fashion that would allow that to happen, I mean I've seen loads of ladies running around with shoulders showing because the skin looks nicer with it and all.
You probably witnessed Lavoyard calling her that. Lavoyard tends to be more medieval in their culture and practices then anywhere else in Altera. *thumbs up to Lavoyard!*

Magiik

Lord of Altera
Unfortunately this led to an instance of running at least one new member off the server, as what was described as a mob all shouting "Prostitute!" at the new player. The player didn't even understand why their character was being called such. At which point, I believe the consensus was that the community needed to stop doing that.
It happened again. The subject of this was my friend, who came to the server at the request of me and a few other mutual friends. She has since said she would not come back to this server and has also left a Skype chat that included us and previously mentioned mutual friends.
I don't really know what happened or who was involved, but I don't really care. To the person that called her character a prostitute, I say this:
Thank you. Through your welcoming actions, you have not only managed to shun a person who had only been on the server for two days, but have also affirmed her social anxiety and scared her away from her friends. I sincerely hope you're happy in trying to keep things as close to as they would be in medieval times, because this small matter of exposed ankles had a very serious impact.
Thank you for your time and your actions.

If this is the wrong place to put it, I am sorry. But I could think of no better way to have it known.

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
It happened again. The subject of this was my friend, who came to the server at the request of me and a few other mutual friends. She has since said she would not come back to this server and has also left a Skype chat that included us and previously mentioned mutual friends.
I don't really know what happened or who was involved, but I don't really care. To the person that called her character a prostitute, I say this:
Thank you. Through your welcoming actions, you have not only managed to shun a person who had only been on the server for two days, but have also affirmed her social anxiety and scared her away from her friends. I sincerely hope you're happy in trying to keep things as close to as they would be in medieval times, because this small matter of exposed ankles had a very serious impact.
Thank you for your time and your actions.

If this is the wrong place to put it, I am sorry. But I could think of no better way to have it known.
Please express my sincerest apologies that this happened to her, if you can. This breaks my heart.

Last edited:

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
My character called her a prostitute because he mingles with lowlives, drunkards, that sort of stuff. Meaning realistically he'd see prostitutes often. Prostitutes showing shoulders/ankles at the time, that is what he perceives as the prostitute standard. It's something that people don't normally bring up when people are in a Medieval setting, seeing as it is a social standard of that time. Since we belong in a time where that social standard is redundant and obsolete, it's sort-of a fact that we just kind of ignore.

My other character, Scardrac, who is pompous and arrogant, simply knows the prostitute standard because he's seen so many women showing things that he just knows in the first place. And decides to be misogynistic and correct them anyways.

Again, back onto the point of the whole getup thing and how people may perceive it. Like I said, not everyone knows the fact, and I realize that we're not complete copy/paste medieval, but some people try to be that. I don't think any side of the question should be prejudiced against their standpoint. However, I don't like being shut down and told "Nobody cares as much as you do" because I was trying to share some history. I apologized to the person, making sure they knew what I was trying to do, and that it was nothing personal.
I just read the logs. Don't you EVER do this again. What you said in local chat is flat out wrong, as
Something something something Middle Ages didn't have Elves, either. So really, the fashion is up to us, as long as it is thematically Medieval Fantasy.
This does not mean that women have to abide by medieval standards of decency. If this bothers you, get out. I will not have the kind of OOC treatment (YES, I am referring to what you said in local) of other players as that.

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
You probably witnessed Lavoyard calling her that. Lavoyard tends to be more medieval in their culture and practices then anywhere else in Altera. *thumbs up to Lavoyard!*
I doubt that...

In fact, Lavoyarde noblemen are some of the most... unorthodox in their clothing scheme! ^--^

Paint

Lord of Altera
Frosty
Retired Staff
ShadowAdmin
ShadowAdmin
Frosty
It wasn't a Lavoyard that said it Tybs, I was there the whole time :p

Scardrac

Felsummer
I just read the logs. Don't you EVER do this again. What you said in local chat is flat out wrong, as

This does not mean that women have to abide by medieval standards of decency. If this bothers you, get out. I will not have the kind of OOC treatment (YES, I am referring to what you said in local) of other players as that.
Eh. Doesn't "bother me", really. Moreso I have my character stick to his ideals of decency. I don't try and enforce things OOC'ly. In fact, I try to let people know why my character thinks that. The point where I got aggressive was when someone tried to aggressively shut me down. Which, I will admit, angered me.

My true intention was to divert negative emotions. Through every single event like this, I have easily calmed the situation. But, whatever. I'll not "ever do this again".