[Feedback/Suggestions] Showcase Build Census Q&A

Solus

Solzilla
Staff member
Server Owner
Showcase Build Census Feedback/Suggestions/Questions - Q&A

This thread is strictly for Comments/Feedback/Suggestions
Here is the /current/ Contest- Hover here!

xxx

Greetings! I'd like a broader input on opinions of this Contest.
All Questions accepted as well. I'll be transferring them to the FAQ on the main page.
Keep the Entries and Suggestions separate for easier viewing, Thank you!

Last edited:

Solus

Solzilla
Staff member
Server Owner
Gonna be a butt, Solus- mind defining Citadel for me~? :heart:
Not Solus but I'd venture castles, palaces, fortresses, and other such stony powerful things.
*Looks to his walls and plans* Can I come back to this in about a year?
Ya dorks- Post here. Contest Entries go there- Due to wanting to keep things less cluttered on threads and just make people make a post- and not a thread. (Edit: My fault for not defining that clearly)

Edit: Mind if we clear those up on the thread?~ )

Baron summed it up, simply. In detail, a Citadel is a fortress, castle, palace, usually surrounded by walls. It may or may not have a whole town inside it, but it is generally a large build. I managed to snatch up a few pictures.

And yes- I'll be reopening old Themes in the future. Worry not!

Last edited:

Solus

Solzilla
Staff member
Server Owner
+Update-

Rewards:
There'll be more than one winner. - And the top most judged that exceeds the others receives a Bonus along their entry! (Which in turn can be split up between the builders or participators to said Build. That'll be left to you folks.) The Entry Approved 'Winners' will receive the reward- so be sure to add your Minecraft username to the Entry Form!

1st Place - 10,000 r
2nd/3rd Place - 5,000 r
All other Entry Winners - 1,000 r

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Retired Staff
Ya dorks- Post here. Contest Entries go there- Due to wanting to keep things less cluttered on threads and just make people make a post- and not a thread. (Edit: My fault for not defining that clearly

Edit: Mind if we clear those up on the thread?~ )

Baron summed it up, simply. In detail, a Citadel is a fortress, castle, palace, usually surrounded by walls. It may or may not have a whole town inside it, but it is generally a large build. I managed to snatch up a few pictures. Key word here is that it has fortified walls along with a large build in the middle/front? area.

And yes- I'll be reopening old Themes in the future. Worry not!
Hee, apologies!

Solus

Solzilla
Staff member
Server Owner
Only completed and rp ready builds ?
Generally, when you showcase a build, it'd be somewhat complete. Walls, a roof, a top, a bottom. Going to request we avoid imcomplete towers or walls, ruin builds being exceptions. But entering with your region's build wouldn't hurt! The "roleplay ready build" criteria could be more lax than it seems. Your build could be complete and not open for roleplaying and still be accepted~

Hai_Paladin

Lord of Altera
I would like to showcase my sewers of Tambry, but do not know if that is what is considered a "build." However, a good deal of RP has gone on down there!

However, it is an active build since I expand it as we buy more plots for the city, so that might also disqualify it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love this idea in general, especially given the surplus of new builds that have sprung up as of the last few months on the server. I think specific categories of builds for this contest, as you all did before I joined with the inn/tavern contest, based off of the function of the buildings.

The categories I would propose would be the following, but I am sure there would be a few I am missing for this suggestion!

Category 1: Capitol Buildings or City Halls

Category 2: Castles/Garrisons/Citadels

Category 3: Palaces and Manor Homes

Category 4: Infrastructure: Bridges, sewers, docks, tunnels, roads, etc.

Category 5: Temples/Cathedrals

Let me know your thoughts on these suggestions!

Solus

Solzilla
Staff member
Server Owner
Helpful Suggestions for Future Entries
I do consider Sewers as a build- and if we do have a showcase for it in the far future, I'll still recommend people to enter even if it's partly finished. If it's active in Rp, then why not! That goes for our current theme- Citadels. Which can be broadened to include Castles and Fortresses (Going to go edit to broaden it in- make it clearer). Even if they aren't overly complete, I'd still like to seem some wonderful Entries.

Those categories sound great- and I am taking build suggestions for contest themes. I'll add them to my list for future themes. Thank you for your suggestion~

BrianAT16

The Brainz
Retired Council Member
Retired Staff
BrainAT16
BrainAT16
Question:

Entry Picture (Around 240 x 300)-
Pictures for the Gallery (Around 600 x 300)-

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I am confused-
What do you mean by around 240 X 300 and 600 X 300? Is this how many pixels the pictures are suppose to be? If so that is rather small-

Last edited:

Solus

Solzilla
Staff member
Server Owner
Question:
Sorry if this is a stupid question but I am confused-
What do you mean by around 240 X 300 and 600 X 300? Is this how many pixels the pictures are suppose to be? If so that is rather small-
Width x Length- If the picture size is around that, it should be all fine. In fact- so long as all your picture sizes for the entry are the same/similar, it would be sufficient enough! The goal for that was to make sure the pictures were not fluctuating in size.

Antilogy

#ImNotKiddingMaddi
Retired Staff
I wish I had a build that would qualify as a citadel. I think the entries should be "rolling" in the sense that there ought not be a time frame. Like... if somebody builds a cool citadel after your competition is over, can its creator still submit it for feature?

What do you think of the idea of just making lots of different categories and letting people submit as they have or build things?

Solus

Solzilla
Staff member
Server Owner
I wish I had a build that would qualify as a citadel. I think the entries should be "rolling" in the sense that there ought not be a time frame. Like... if somebody builds a cool citadel after your competition is over, can its creator still submit it for feature?
At first, the thought was to close the theme and open it up for competition again later on. But the idea of 'rolling' it is appealing. I'm understanding it as-
Competition is for those builds already made/somewhat complete on the server that enter and get their rewards. After competition closes, people can continue to submit their theme specific builds, still following the criteria laid out before them, but just to be included in the Showcase.

Give me a bit of time to mull over the idea.

What do you think of the idea of just making lots of different categories and letting people submit as they have or build things?
If you mean letting people go ahead and submit like they did for Taverns/Inns- There'd be no contest. The idea for the contest was to keep things enjoyably fun in a competitive manner and improve/maintain the quality of showcases submitted- not so much the quantity. Although- if the first suggestion was implemented, this would eventually work its way into this suggestion.

Give me a bit of time to mull over the idea.
Suggestions are always welcome, Thank you!

BrianAT16

The Brainz
Retired Council Member
Retired Staff
BrainAT16
BrainAT16
*Cought cough*
You forgot the person who helped you dig some of the path ways, build all the living spaces himself, build the public kitchens himself, and dig out the spaces for the offices. Spending quite a lot of time and resources helping you build-
*Cough cough*
:l

Last edited:

Tempy_

Insert Custom Title here
I am quite certain that I know the answer to this one already, but I can do nothing but assume that the citadel has to be finished? Reignfall is currently being heavily worked on, but I am uncertain if I will get it done before the deadline D=

Solus

Solzilla
Staff member
Server Owner
I am quite certain that I know the answer to this one already, but I can do nothing but assume that the citadel has to be finished? Reignfall is currently being heavily worked on, but I am uncertain if I will get it done before the deadline D=
- If it's active in Rp, then why not. That goes for our current theme- Citadels. Which can be broadened to include Castles and Fortresses. Even if they aren't overly complete, I'd still like to seem some wonderful Entries.
Sending in a half-built Citadel, one without 1/2 their walls or towers, would be untimely. But if it's somewhat complete, barring a few minor details, then don't be afraid to enter the build.