Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Forest Elf Lore - Questions Answered

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
It's the root language.
Eldarin splits into Sindarin and Quenya, they split again into dialects etc.~

Ced

Mountain Bum
Merchant
Retired Staff
MossyMorel
MossyMorel
Merchant
It's the root language.
Eldarin splits into Sindarin and Quenya, they split again into dialects etc.~
Aye, frantic research has been done, these past 5 minutes.

If Jstar knew about this he is not invited to my birthday party anymore.

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
There's also "Eldnari" which may be swiped from the "Eldunari" (dragon hearts~) in the Inheritance Cycle.

Ced

Mountain Bum
Merchant
Retired Staff
MossyMorel
MossyMorel
Merchant
There's also "Eldnari" which may be swiped from the "Eldunari" (dragon hearts~) in the Inheritance Cycle.
That's mine, and I assure you it was coined with no prior knowledge of the Eldunari.
As long as it's not identical, I'm keeping things as they are >.< I don't even want to think of how many billions of fantasy neologisms there are out there that I'll probably end up copying accidentally. Eldnarí can stay :p Eldarin will change.

K9

Triangles are my favourite shape
Crafter
Retired Staff
K9_Diarmuid
K9_Diarmuid
Crafter
"Eldunari" (dragon hearts~) in the Inheritance Cycle.

YOU KNOW OF THIS?

I THINK I HAVE STRONG FEELINGS TOWARDS YOU NOW. I LOVE THE INHERITANCE CYCLE.

-K9

Jstar

Exitus acta probat
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
JstarGames
JstarGames
Good
*Rolls around on the floor, in a puddle of tears* I try...

Ced

Mountain Bum
Merchant
Retired Staff
MossyMorel
MossyMorel
Merchant
We've thought up a few suggestions and we're thinking of leaving it up to you guys in a poll. Or should we just pick? We're taking ideas, too >.>

K9

Triangles are my favourite shape
Crafter
Retired Staff
K9_Diarmuid
K9_Diarmuid
Crafter
I used to, but that was before I read Lord of the Rings, and before I started RPing.
The elves really irritate me now, because they all seem horribly overpowered.

Psssh, it's Christopher Paolini, what d'ya expect?

-K9

Tarron

Lord of Altera
*is hoping this doesn't count as a necro*

I am currently fleshing out a Forest Elven smith at the moment. I am only wondering if they had metal (or some other material) that is used for armor instead of robes, leather, etc. Same goes for swords, shields, and whatnot...I plan to have him make some Elven armor and equipment if that is going to exist.

Thanks.

Ced

Mountain Bum
Merchant
Retired Staff
MossyMorel
MossyMorel
Merchant
*is hoping this doesn't count as a necro*

I am currently fleshing out a Forest Elven smith at the moment. I am only wondering if they had metal (or some other material) that is used for armor instead of robes, leather, etc. Same goes for swords, shields, and whatnot...I plan to have him make some Elven armor and equipment if that is going to exist.

Thanks.
Good question!
A list of existing metals on Altera can be found here.

Forest Elves weren't big on metals. Why would they tear up the earth that gave them their life to go looking for shiny rocks? For the most part, the smaller settlements used leather for any protective clothing they might need (which was very little; they might have padded vests, elbow pads or greaves/bracers for hunting, but that would have been rare), and bone or ivory (forest boars had tusks that were perfect for sharpening and crafting) for weapons, which for the most part consisted of spears, knives and of course arrowheads.

The larger Groves like Tauredal that were more involved with the other races' politics and goings on would probably have felt the need to upgrade their arsenal, a move they would resent but find necessary, what with the possible threat of other races moving in on their land. They did still recognise their lack of experience with mining, and so for the most part, they traded with Humans and Dwarves for steel, iron, etc. It mentions in Fitzian lore that the Elves traded some of their magical knowledge for materials that they couldn't find in their habitats, but I believe it was more the Silver Elves that did that, as the Forest Elves would have been wary at best.

Put simply, they wouldn't mine, but trade materials (furs, meats, alchemical ingredients, bones, ivory, lumber) with other races. They had been crafting weapons and armour for years, so learning to smith was something they did do, albeit being very careful of fire and heat. For the most part their forges were underground, away from the roots of their Eldnarí.

This way they were able to create quite efficient and useful weapons, but keep in mind those weapons would have been designed predominantly for hunting (knives + spears + arrowheads). Should a Forest Elf believe he needs armour created, there might be an Elven smith able to do this, but if I was Tarron, I'd look for a Silver Elf smith, or a Dwarven/Human smith. Forest Elves have had little need for heavy clunky armour and as such generally aren't amazing at making it.

There are always outliers, however~ ;)

Edit I - Robes made by the Elves themselves would have been spun cotton, varying in heaviness and texture. However, what with the existence of the lucrative East, silks and more luxurious items have been made available, at a price. A Forest Elf might prefer a silken robe to his scratchy cotton one.

Edit II - So in answer to your question (whoops that was quite the rant), no. Elves do not have a specific Elven metal just for them. If I knew of the magic lore, I might suggest that they could imbue properties within the materials they crafted, making them lighter, harder, etc. But I don't want Naelwyn or Legion ripping my throat out, so for now I won't write anything on that :p

Ced

Mountain Bum
Merchant
Retired Staff
MossyMorel
MossyMorel
Merchant
You deserve an award for these responses and the lore.
i-like-you.gif

Srsly doh-
I'm very insecure when it comes to writing, so it means a lot when you say you like it, thank you :)
( That doesn't mean I don't enjoy constructive criticism, I think it's a good way to get better! )

Edit I - That means please tell me if you think something could be better with anything I write, and please point out my obvious and stupid mistakes... It's the only way I'll stop making them!

Edit II - Though, public shaming is never fun... I'd appreciate a PM or forum message if you have suggestions :)