Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[Game-Dev] City of Moss

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
title.jpg
Hello there!
I'm about to finish Rune-Run. It was a challenge to create and I learnt many things from doing so.
The most important thing is: I should keep things simple next time I create a game.
Rune-Run works, everyone I played it with enjoyed it, but it takes a while before everyone understands what they're doing. On top of that, the fact that it is played on a board means that it's not a very portable game.

So, without further a-do; I'm creating another game! The third game I create in my life and so far it's called 'Moss'. There are four cards in Rune-Run game which are called Cheeky Gnomes. They keep the game unpredictable. I want to make a game solely based on these cheeky wee buggers.

The game backstory: There are four cities filled with cheeky gnomes. Only by the grace of the almighty Gnome-God can one city achieve completion. The first city to be built, will please the Gnome-God very much, so it's our duty to annoy the hell out of our competitors and make sure our city grows as theirs crumbles, innit?

Here's how I'm planning it to work:
first rulesc.png
You are the mayor of a Gnome-city in the middle of a forest, the wealth of your city is in the hands of Artelun, the God of the forest. There are other cities in this forest as well and the grass, ehm; MOSS, is always greener on the other side. So it is not uncommon for gnomes to steal from other people’s cities. Can you manage to bring glory to your own city, while bringing other cities down?

RULES:
You play the game in turns.

At the start of your turn:

1. you turn around an event card. This card shows you the number of resources you will receive.
2. Once you’ve taken the resources indicated on the event card, you select a player you like to steal resource from. The thief will get to work straight away, stealing 1 card from that specific resource from that specific player.
3. Once you’ve stolen a resource, you can choose to buy a defender card or a Sacrifice card.
- The defender card will cost you 1 resource of the resource it uses for protection, during each of your turns, but in return protects the resource you place it on from thieves. You can have 3 defender cards at the same time maximum.
- The Sacrifice card will cost you 1 of each resource, but in return gives you a blessing and puts an awful curse on your competitors.
+ If nobody buys a gnome-god card in a whole round (once everyone done their turn), then nothing happens.
+ If someone bought a gnome-god card, but nobody else did, then the curse is placed upon all those who didn’t buy the card.
+ If everyone bought a gnome-god card, nobody is cursed.​
After everyone had a chance to buy a sacrifice, all sacrifices are removed from the table and everyone who had one, gets their own blessing-card in return. These are read out loud during the player’s turn and the according resources are taken.
4. Now that you’ve chosen whether to buy a defender or to make a sacrifice, your turn ends and the next player has their turn.​
The first to gather 20 of each resource wins the game!

All event cards yield 4 resources in total. Which resources and how many of each differs per event.
The Blessing cards yield between 2 and 8 resources.
The Curse cards take away between 2 and 8 resources.

Tell me what you think, if you like. Please keep the feedback constructive. If you give feedback, it should be to help create a better game. Thank you! I hope to work on this with as much joy as I have when working on Rune-Run. This game will be much easier to explain, with less rules, but still with enough opportunity to annoy the hell out of the other players. Besides, it'll be much more portable and can easily be taken anywhere in the pocket of a jacket!

Change-log:
~Changed the name from 'City of Gnomes' to 'Moss'
~Changed the name from 'Moss' to 'City of Moss'
~Made the background moss a bit darker, so the words are easier to read.
~Changed the rule from 'gnome-god' to 'sacrifice', where laying a sacrifice has a positive effect and not laying a sacrifice has a negative effect if others have put one.
~Changed the rule from using a defender to defend its own resource, to being able to place a defender on another resource, while using a resource of choice (and made four cards with that idea)
~Decided blessings and curses range between 2 and 8 resources, while events always gain you 4 resources.
~ Changed blessings to +4, 6 or 8. While curses are -2, 4, or 6.
~ A thief always steals one resource to make gameplay more fluent, no need to flip a card between 0-3 to indicate how many resources are stolen anymore.

Last edited:

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
I decided to make this game using only existing pictures and creating the cards in that way. It gives a certain feel to the game that I wouldn't be able to bring out if I use drawings.
Here's the four resource cards. Square instead of rectangular.
Resource Food.jpg Resource gold.jpg Resource stone.jpg Resource wood.jpg

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
Some blessings and some curses. Now with one resource, will also make some with mixed resources. They range from 2 to 8.
Blessing gold01.jpg Blessing mushroom02.jpg Blessing stone03.jpg Blessing wood04.jpg

curse gold01.jpg curse mushroom02.jpg curse stone03.jpg curse wood04.jpg

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
And some examples of events. Now that I've shown how I made them, I'll only post new ones if they're exceptional.
Event01.jpg Event02.jpg Event03.jpg Event04.jpg

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
Here's the sacrifice card that you can play if you pay 1 of each resources.
template sacrifice.jpg