Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[Game Development] Rune Run!

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
Rune Run Title small.png

The story:
You are brave adventurers, who took on more than you could handle. In your last adventure, you faced an evil wizard. Before you could even strike a single blow, he cursed you and banished you to this demonic labyrinth you find yourself in now. There is only one way to escape: Find the runes and bring them to in the center of the Labyrinth. But be aware, the labyrinth only grands one person to be teleported out. This means your adventurous companions have now become your rivals and would do anything to be the first person to find three runes!

Game setup:
Lay the labyrinth unfolded on the table.
Put the runes 1-12 on their matching places in the labyrinth.
Lay the deck of monsters on the table, faced down.
Lay the decks of the three item classes on the table, faced down, next to each other.

Game Rules:
This game is for 3-6 people. Age indication 10+

Everyone starts in the center of the labyrinth.
The goal is to gather runes, which are located in the labyrinth, and bring them back to the center of the labyrinth. When you have 3 runes are in the center of the labyrinth, you win. This is the only winning condition.

At the start of the game, the players choose one of the classes below:
  • (Evasive class) Mage: Has a -2 modifier against enemy player’s level. Can use all magical items (purple icons). Cannot wield metal armor and weapons.
  • (Runner class) Scout: Has a +1 modifier when choosing a path, can use magical items no higher than class 1. Cannot wield two-handed weapons or plate armor.
  • (Combat class) Warrior: Has a +1 modifier when fighting monsters, cannot use magical items.
All classes can use potions.

Players can gain items in two ways:
  1. From throwing two of the same number of eyes on the dice, during pathfinding: (double numbers during combat do not count)
    1. double 1, 2 or 3: take a class 1 item
    2. double 4 or 5: take a class 2 item
    3. double 6: take a class 3 item
  2. From killing monsters.

These items only have effect if wielded or used:
  • To wield a weapon, lay it on the right position in relation to the adventurer card. You can only wield one item per hand, head, torso and feet.
  • Some items can be used at different times, the moment to use the item will be noted on the item-card.

Game mechanics:
Everyone rolls a dice, the one with the highest number of eyes may start.
A turn goes as follows:
  • Player moves pawn to a junction of choice
  • Player decides which of the two paths to take
  • Player throws a dice:
    • If the dice is higher than 6; the player goes down the path of choice.
    • If the dice is lower or equal to 6; the player goes down the other path

• When the player goes down a path that ends in another junction, end its turn.
  • When the player goes down a path that leads to a dead end or a rune-room, draw a monster card (in the rune-room, slaying a monster yields the rune instead of an item)
    • Throw the two dice, if you throw higher than the monster's level, you win and may pick the top card of the item deck that matches the monster's class.
    • If you throw lower than the monster's level, you lose and:
      • If you are holding rune(s), you lose your rune(s), the rune(s) is placed in the dead end. You keep your items and return to the center of the labyrinth.
      • If you have no rune, but you are holding an item, you can choose to stay in the room but then you lose your item, which is placed on the bottom of the item deck of its matching class. Or you choose to return to the center, but you keep your items.
      • If you do not have any runes or items on you, just return to the center of the labyrinth.
    • After this, your turn ends.
  • When the player faces a monster, or decides to fight another player:
    • Items take effect if wielded.
    • PvP: Both players throw two dice at the same time. Player A adds wielded weapon bonuses to his own throw and detracts wielded armor bonuses from his opponents throw. Same for player B. Resulting highest score wins the battle. The losing player has to skip its next turn.

FAQ:
  • Am I allowed to bring multiple runes before heading back to the center?
Yes, but if you lose a battle, you have to put all the runes from your inventory in the spot where you lost, or hand them over in the case of PvP
  • Am I allowed to turn around and go to the junction on the other end of the path?
Yes, you are allowed to do this. Yet, you must always specify which path you wish to take, and if you throw 6 or below, you will have to go down the other path you are facing, and not in the direction of the other junction on the path you’re on.
  • When do I play the cheeky gnome card?
Cheeky Gnomes take effect immediately after picking the card from the deck.
  • Can I switch items from my inventory to my adventurer?
Yes you can, but you can only switch one item per turn.

These are the cards in game, they will be downsized to A7 once finished.
Monstercard back.jpg The back of a monster card.
Item Card back 01.jpg Item Card back 02.jpg Item Card back 03.jpg The back of an item card, class 1 to 3
adventurer card orange.jpg Adventurer card in the six colors of the players.
template monster front.jpg The template of a front of a monster card
template item front.jpg The template of a front of an item card
all runes.png The front of Runes 1-12
the labyrinth small.png The Labyrinth.

Last edited:

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
I'm developing this game at home, using my drawing pad. I hope to one day print it out and play it with friends and family. Until then, I've created this thread so you can follow my progress if you're interested :)
Once it's finished, I could try and create this game in a big version in minecraft!
I'll be posting new monster cards once I've finished them!

Theme for the heck of it:

Last edited:

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
Seems extremely dependent on luck, with few strategic or skill elements in play. How do you address it being wholly reliant on rolling dice?

Personally I don't think I would be particularly engaged by a game where strategy falls entirely on consistent dice luck.

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
Seems extremely dependent on luck, with few strategic or skill elements in play. How do you address it being wholly reliant on rolling dice?

Personally I don't think I would be particularly engaged by a game where strategy falls entirely on consistent dice luck.
perhaps you can help me out a bit. Could you think of a way for strategy to play a role in a game like this?
Should I add something? Change something around?

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
perhaps you can help me out a bit. Could you think of a way for strategy to play a role in a game like this?
Should I add something? Change something around?
well, you ARE adventurers
why not include classes, magical loot, and maybe a spell or two?

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
why not include classes, magical loot, and maybe a spell or two?
I forgot to mention what items you get from the item decks.
"Players can gain items from killing monsters. Items may add a certain modifier to the roll when choosing a path (+2 when wielding a lantern), or when fighting a monster (-2 of monster level when wielding a shield, or +1 on own attack roll, when wielding a dagger)"

I like the idea of classes to give modifiers per player!

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
After doing all the templates, I felt like having some fun, so I made a monster that refers back to the noobiest quest of Runescape I've ever done. (btw none of this is based on Runescape, even though the name has the word 'rune' in it.) Feedback is welcome. I think I should do something more with the background, but I cannot figure out what exactly, without making the card less clear (remember they'll be A7 sized later on)
monster Goblin green.jpg monster Goblin red.jpg

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
What happens if each player has one rune secured? Can runes be stolen? Is it only a matter of getting to the center first, or being the last rune to arrive?

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
What happens if each player has one rune secured? Can runes be stolen? Is it only a matter of getting to the center first, or being the last rune to arrive?
The idea at the moment is that each player can gather runes 1-5 (so if you play with four players, there'll be 4 times rune 1-5). The goal is to be the first to collect them all. Nothing happens unless a player has all five in place, no matter if together they make up 1-5.
  • Would it make sense to get more runes out there (for instance 12 runes) and the player with the most runes in place in the end wins? Instead of gathering all runes, it's a matter of gathering as much runes as possible. so it'll become more of a race, where some players might be running for the same rune, while only one will be able to return with it? (I hope you understand what I mean by this, if not, please tell me).
    Once in the center, the rune will be secured under the player's name and unable to be moved again.

About stealing: A player could try and kill monsters to get a good set of equipment, and steal runes from other players before they reach the center, by attacking said player at a junction. So they can be stolen. Or a player could run for it and gather the runes themselves.

You have a valid point about it being too much luck based. Keep the feedback and questions coming, please. It's helping a lot.

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
why not include classes?
  • Mage: Can only wield magical items and items of class 1.
  • Scout: Has a +1 modifier when choosing a path, can wield magical items no higher than class 1.
  • Warrior: Has a +1 modifier when attacking, cannot wield magical items.
What do you think?

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
  • Mage: Can only wield magical items and items of class 1.
  • Scout: Has a +1 modifier when choosing a path, can wield magical items no higher than class 1.
  • Warrior: Has a +1 modifier when attacking, cannot wield magical items.
What do you think?
mage seems like a strict limitation unless there are magical items beyond class 1, and hwt happens if the other classes find stuff they cant use? discarded? thrown on the ground due to them being in a hurry?

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
mage seems like a strict limitation unless there are magical items beyond class 1, and hwt happens if the other classes find stuff they cant use? discarded? thrown on the ground due to them being in a hurry?
My intention is to make magical items of class 2 and 3 more powerful than regular items. (max double of the regular ones). So the mage's chance on finding the items in a class 2 or 3 monster are low, but once he got a few, he's practically invincible. (slow start, good end game).
While the Warrior has a good start, but can never get as powerful as a mage in the end game.
And the Scout should be able to stay out of his enemies way by having more success in choosing a path away from its opponents.

If they find an item they cannot use, I thought about that a bit, but I am unsure. I would suggest they could keep it in their inventory and could trade it with other players if both players are in the center of the labyrinth. But I'm also considering that they'd have to throw the item on the trash pile instead. Could you give your opinion on this?

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
I'm off to bed now, here's some items. Perhaps I should tweak some of the stats, but can't be really sure about most of the stats unless I play the game at least 5 times. Good night all, thanks a lot for this feedback already on day one, it really helps when others are asking questions and thinking along with me in this process.

Right now what I'll think about is how players can fight each other. They do not have a level like the monsters do, or perhaps I should give each class a starting level... hmm I'll think about this.

Attachments

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
My intention is to make magical items of class 2 and 3 more powerful than regular items. (max double of the regular ones). So the mage's chance on finding the items in a class 2 or 3 monster are low, but once he got a few, he's practically invincible. (slow start, good end game).
While the Warrior has a good start, but can never get as powerful as a mage in the end game.
And the Scout should be able to stay out of his enemies way by having more success in choosing a path away from its opponents.

If they find an item they cannot use, I thought about that a bit, but I am unsure. I would suggest they could keep it in their inventory and could trade it with other players if both players are in the center of the labyrinth. But I'm also considering that they'd have to throw the item on the trash pile instead. Could you give your opinion on this?
Im not gonna lie, I like the idea for the mage, but rather than make it where these items are just super awesome weapons that make the mage invincible if he finds them early (Again with the luck) why not go with the power of disruption instead? Fighters are good at head on fights, Scouts are good at avoiding fights, mages should excel at hindering their enemies without having to fight.

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
Im not gonna lie, I like the idea for the mage, but rather than make it where these items are just super awesome weapons that make the mage invincible if he finds them early (Again with the luck) why not go with the power of disruption instead? Fighters are good at head on fights, Scouts are good at avoiding fights, mages should excel at hindering their enemies without having to fight.
this is a superb idea! Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you're suggesting for mages to find items that would render it impossible for a warrior or scout character to even initiate the fight. Maybe an item / spell that would enable the mage to keep the other player from moving for one turn? Or an item that dissolves after one or two uses that would keep all players at least 1 junction away from the mage?

Then about the magical weapons and armor, should I make them a tad bit better (like only 1 or in the best case 2 points better than a regular weapon of the same class) or get rid of magical gear and make all gear available to all classes, except the spellbooks / potions? (I've added an image of an evasive potion)

(check the image I uploaded with this post. What about the regular item stats being low, but a mage can boost them? I'm unsure. I think I'd favor the mage just being evasive. What do you think?)

Attachments

Last edited:

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
this is a superb idea! Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you're suggesting for mages to find items that would render it impossible for a warrior or scout character to even initiate the fight. Maybe an item / spell that would enable the mage to keep the other player from moving for one turn? Or an item that dissolves after one or two uses that would keep all players at least 1 junction away from the mage?

Then about the magical weapons and armor, should I make them a tad bit better (like only 1 or in the best case 2 points better than a regular weapon of the same class) or get rid of magical gear and make all gear available to all classes, except the spellbooks / potions? (I've added an image of an evasive potion)

(check the image I uploaded with this post. What about the regular item stats being low, but a mage can boost them? I'm unsure. I think I'd favor the mage just being evasive. What do you think?)
impossible? God no. never, EVER make one class clearly superior than others. I'm thinking more like items that can force people to move away from runes, can force them to drop a rune and be unable to pick it up (Probably a one time use thing) stuff like that! Since movement is so luck based, you've gotta be annoying as hell, but chances are if it comes down to a fight the mage is going to lose unless it's against a scout, then it's iffy.

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
impossible? God no. never, EVER make one class clearly superior than others. I'm thinking more like items that can force people to move away from runes, can force them to drop a rune and be unable to pick it up (Probably a one time use thing) stuff like that! Since movement is so luck based, you've gotta be annoying as hell, but chances are if it comes down to a fight the mage is going to lose unless it's against a scout, then it's iffy.
you're being a really great help to me with this. :D Thanks, please do stay around as time goes by :)

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
something like this?

Attachments

Luam

friendly neighborhood inquisitor
Legend
Retired Staff
SirLiam1124
SirLiam1124
Legend
something like this?
Instead of being unable to pick it up entirely, it gets either: 1) Transported to a different room/area or 2) They can't pick it up for only X amount of turns

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
Instead of being unable to pick it up entirely, it gets either: 1) Transported to a different room/area or 2) They can't pick it up for only X amount of turns
I was considering to have them wait to pick it up for 3 turns, or; if they cannot pick it up, someone else will pick it up, after which they can try and steal it from this person. I think I'll need to play this game in order to find out which is better