Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Gaming offtopic

Backstay

Lord of Altera
That seems like an inconvenient way to create a building.

Are you forced to model the whole cathedral part after part and then put it all together in the end? Can't you just do the whole modelling and texturing in a program like Blender, then export and import it to UDK.? That way you'd have a whole building in one go.

Either way, looking good!

Shelly5

Lord of Altera
I possibly can model the whole thing in 3ds max, thats what I am using. But I dont want to try that on 2 gb ram. Besides that, this way I can create assets that can be easily sticked together, meaning I can create more, new and unique builds to it. Also, I have few problems in making of these models, like bad unwraping, twisted normals etc. Its more convenient way to do piece by piece. Thus, it is a usual way of creating huge builds.

Backstay

Lord of Altera
I wouldn't exactly call your method usual. Sure, for big structures you often model part after part, although it's usually bigger parts. Not just a wall with some windows as one model, and then an archway as a second model, and then put those two together. It looks like that's what you've done here, and I wouldn't call that all that usual. Usually, if you're building a huge castle, you make one or two different kinds of towers as two seperate models, then all the walls as seperate models, then part of the keep, another part of the keep and so on and so forth. So you basically have these following models, which you put together in the scening editor:
  • Tower 1 and 2
  • Gate
  • Wall 1, 2,3 and 4
  • Keep 1, 2 and 3
If your computer can't handle it, then I'll take that as a solid reason.

Shelly5

Lord of Altera
Little early medieval thingy. May add the final touches later as well, but I am pretty satisfied with the result for now.

house_med.jpg

Shelly5

Lord of Altera
Angryboy said:
What are you making? Looks like you could do it modularly, create a single pillar and then copy it instead of texturing each individual one?
I am thinking sort of those spanish castles with terraces on a cliff, or maybe a roman villa?
Sort of because I 'd like to make it wooden and stony, bit of a fantasy. No idea how it will go but I still got a lot of modeling ahead before texturing.
I am going to make this modular, but the fact this scene got about 80 000 polygons... I need to get it down...

Shelly5

Lord of Altera
Itzzaboy said:
All these fancy graphic designs and then there's me using default RPG Maker Tiles
Oh, finally someone else shows his work. Its missig NPCs. You should add them. And maybe check some city maps on internet ? To give it more of a structure.

Angryboy said:
I wouldn't say 80,000 is too much for a large scene... But some tips if you want them, though you might already know these
I ve spent about 5 hours tweaking those assets yesterday. Still doing windows and pillars. Pillars were quite heavy so I remodeled them, lowering from 32 sides to 16.
As for n-gons, I know 4-quads are ideall, but I have few shapes with triangles in it alredy. As for optimalization, I always do meshes the way that you only see visible faces. I will upload wire images later

Itzzaboy

King ForumStalker
Oh, finally someone else shows his work. Its missig NPCs. You should add them.
The NPCs are the majority of those white squares on the map.

And maybe check some city maps on internet ? To give it more of a structure.
I'm actually making this project under the instruction of a friend, although I will certainly check those out for my other projects, thanks

Shelly5

Lord of Altera
heh... what school do you study ? I always wanted to do games but we dpnt have schools for that here. Instead I am studying graphic design.

Shelly5

Lord of Altera
Before going on, I wanted to ask, arent the bricks too large ? Or too small? I wanted to make pillars in window white, or dark, but idk, it doesnt look right...

01.jpg

Anithola

Lord of Altera
Yeah it looks fine. If you are going for a more medieval theme though, maybe make them a shade darker and slightly smaller?

Shelly5

Lord of Altera
I changed colours a bit, still strugling with lightning (I hate you UDK for that). But I am looking forward to seeing this completed like a little child...

02.jpg

Shelly5

Lord of Altera
Yea theres going to be seams... just now I am thinking about switching to unity 5 ... because, oh god, UDK lightning...