Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Gutterspeak - The Thieves Cant

Balatro

Don't call it a comeback
Retired Staff
Thanks to pyrocide who's the Shove who did most the Church work.

GUTTERSPEAK
"Ruddin' Wall Jocky, make a Grin of me if ya Fink'ima Read that. Gorram."​

Originating in the old world, Gutterspeak is a Thieves Cant or "Peddlers French" the Tradition of talking in riddled words so that people around you don't understand has a long history and has begun to rise again in the slums of storms landing.

Wail it’s not a unique language, it has evolved for so long that it is nearly impenetrable by folks who weren't raised around it. People who would be able to speak it freely would be Slum-Born, Beggars, Thieves, Rogues Sailors, Pirates. Perhaps Sangrians. Cymic_ ?

Learning it is a frustrating task because its an oral tradition and thus isn't written down, also most people who use it cant read. if it was transcribed it would likely change before a dictionary would be ever be truely useful. The best way to learn Gutterspeak is to spend a year or so in the slums.

People who use the Cant may also have their own words and phrases common only among there group. In that case you’d want to say your gibberish than @ the person with what it ment.

Generally folks who speak Gutter leave the g's off on "ing" verbs. (runnin', fightin', ect)
Double negatives and contractions are common.
Droping Th and using Fin "Thats what I fink, Wheres my Fing?
They say me insted of my (Me mates an I, goin' fer a glass'a The Fine)

COMMON PHRASE

Gutterspeak, Gut, Turn, Cant, Double talk,- Gutterspeak, Could also mean. “Watch what you say with these folks around” (Oi, there's a guard here. Turn!)

Aye - Yes
Neg - No
Shiny - Sounds Good, Understood, Looks Valuable,
Kiss - To stab someone—“Kissed the snickersnak” is a phrase used to mean “Got murdered”
I'm Keeping the rings on my fingers - Working a job, Busy, “don’t blow my cover” (Sometimes shortened to “Rings, mate!”)
Watched - Having friends, being in a group, Working together, Not alone.
Very Fancy - Nothing worth the trouble to steal around here.
Letter - Blackmail, Secrets,
The Fine - Alcohol, Usually rum.

PEOPLE
Peter, Peet - A Human, Someone who is boring
Scratch - A Dwarf, Person with a beard
Knife ear, a Fancy - an Elf
Dog Biter - A Halfling, large rat, small child, or short person
Rug - A caparii, Very harry or smelly person.
Hooks - Makanii, Person with a missing hand
Sideshow - An Earthspawn, and sometimes a jester, fool, or other entertainer
Cloud Watcher - Divine magic user, Blessed, Religious person.
Highwind - Overzealous religious person, Exalts, Ignis Monotheists
Stillboy (gender neutral) - Arcane Magic user, usually Cogimens, Scholar, Student
Deep pockets - Thief, Burglar, Working alone
Clip - Cut purse, Novice thief, Pickpocket
Capp - A trusted lieutenant, henchman, Good friend.
Cow/Cattle - An Easy Marks or a farmers
Bleeder - Someone willing to give freely to “the needy”, A fool, easily tricked or misled
Pad - person who is quick, Lightly armored, Courier, Running. Opposite of a Clank
Clank - Person who is slow, Heavily armored, Soldier, Guard. Opposite of a Pad
Hushman - A hired killer, generally one kept on semi-permanent retainer
Shove - Slave, servant, bar tender, Indentured Servant, Can also refer to Hired mussel
Easy Lad - A male prostitute
Laced Mutton - A prostitute (gender neutral)
Quickwife - A female prostitute
Pigeon - A person targeted by a criminal to be the victim of a crime, or a person that visits a prostitute
Soggy - A drunk
Grin - A Conman or Con, Lair or Lie. “Sounds like a fuckin Grin”

PLACES

The Pit - Storms Landing Slum.
Earth Bath - An unmarked grave
The Weeds - Hiding place, Out of Town, Far away
The Stones - Graveyard

(Specific places. And people from those places)​

Downs - Sangria (Often “Soggy downs”)
Flicks - Fuvur
Stamp - Anhald (Usually "Highwind Stamp)
Chirps - Mockingbay
Walls - Hawklight
Far - Slyannen
Grey (Or Greyhair): Lutia, Linlea, Astrum, Lavalands area (Also used for Moors)

INSULTS-CURSES

Ruttin' - A curse. Essentially means someone or something that lays in it's own filth.
Gorram - An all-purpose curse. ("That gorram sideshow stole my coin pouch!")
Wall Jocky: Person who puts up, or tears down posters, Town criers, Anyone who thinks there more important than they are
Grog-Blossom: A facial pimple, Unsavory or Ugly person, Someone who is only sexy after a few drinks
Church Work: Any lengthy job that is slow to finish or is otherwise drudgery
Leaky - Someone who can’t keep a secret (“Don’t tell him about the heist—he’s leaky!”)
Pigmeat - A dead body, or someone who is about to become dead
Rathole - The mouth (especially a mouth that belongs to someone who is saying unwelcome things)
Lumber - A unwelcome person, Hostage, Kidnapping.

EXAMPLE
Putting it all together, I'll give an example conversation between a smuggler (S) and a thief (T).

T: Did ya git done with that ruttin' church work?
S: Aye, and I picked up some lumber to sell on the way back.
T: How'd you flash that grin?
S: I just made sure to fill the Soggy cow's rathole with the fine till it went to sleep.
T: You goin' to sell that Lumber off to as a quickwife?
S: Neg, This lumber's a grog blossom sideshow - I figured the gorram Flicks might buy it as a Shove though. Could have it Draggin’ rocks round there Iron mines.
T: ...
T: Shiny.

Again thank you pyrocide , For creating the Original Cromarcky Speech.

Last edited:

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
I would recommend just using the words, but not doing, <G:...>

This is a dialect with a vernacular, not its own language.

Balatro

Don't call it a comeback
Retired Staff
I would recommend just using the words, but not doing, <G:...>

This is a dialect with a vernacular, not its own language.
I thought about that also. the reason I included the <G> was the intention of Cant is to not be understood. Basically the same way people use languages they know no one else in the RP knows. I know its not perfect but as a roleplay mechanic it achieves that goal. It could also be said, that like the languages pages not /every/ word therein represents the totality of the language. That is to say it would be a rich enough dilect that it could warrent the use.

If thats your ruling as lore boi than it is what it is, but it would really help make it the tool its ment to be if we could.

Elz

hmm
Events Staff
Very Sweet
Staff
It sounds like it'd be more fun if you use the actual words up above as a dialect anyway. Using <G:> means you type normally within the brackets and all this won't really be in use.

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
You can just type it out, as I've described. Otherwise, you're trying to make an entire language while language submissions are closed. A dialect and unique words based on common are fine, but trying to make an entirely new language as if the words do not originate from common is something not okay, since new languages are closed.

Squidziod

Kid Charlemagne
Mystic
Retired Owner
Squidziod
Squidziod
LegendMystic
Very well done, good to see some measure of slang and such published. Makes for good RP.

Portato

Lord of Altera
AWESOME!

In Ireland we have what is known as 'Shelta' or 'Gammon' which is an Irish Cant.

Some words include:

The Taddy - Evil

Dhalun(y)/Daloon(y) - God(s).

Gegging - Begging

Boss - Sir/Mr.

Beure/ Byor - Girl, Ms/Mrs/Miss.

Welder - Goods.

Gadgies - Non-Gammon speaking folk.

Feel free to use them. Just thought I might help. :)

Balatro

Don't call it a comeback
Retired Staff
You can just type it out, as I've described. Otherwise, you're trying to make an entire language while language submissions are closed. A dialect and unique words based on common are fine, but trying to make an entirely new language as if the words do not originate from common is something not okay, since new languages are closed.
Alrighty than.

I'll take it out now

Balatro

Don't call it a comeback
Retired Staff
As a note because I'm being asked any character who is or was a thief, sailor, or from a slum can be assumed to know gut.

It would be good form to put it In your character profile so as to avoid claims of meta for those using it around you.

Also you don't need my permission to use this, it's out there for everyone.