Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

How armour really worked.

Tomahawk777

King's Hand
About the armor I am on Legion's side.
There is just not THE plate armor.

And I doubt that the mongol bows were that good.
Sure, for shooting from horseback, they are much better than a english longbow.
But the power of a longbow is still much higher than one of those mongol bows.
I think, this is one of the general problems in areas like roleplay and fantasy.
Its pretty much like the myth that katanas are sharper and faster than a european longsword.
People just fall in love with these "cool" asian weapon and believe these crap about the super ninjas.
(ninjas is also a similar story...)

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
" The draw weight of an English longbow averages around 70-80 pounds, whereas the Old Mongol bow had a pull that, according to George Vernadsky, averaged at around 166 pounds"

Found that on the internet... Obviously it may be exaggerating, but not much. But I tend to exclude Asian culture when I'm talking about Medieval times... bad habit :l

Tomahawk777

King's Hand
166 pounds is really a bit high and as far as I know Longbows were around 120pounds.
I just want to say that in europe we have often the problem that asian weapons are often made stronger than they actually were.
Best example it the katana, which were actually a very poorly weapon.
But today if we hear about katanas, people say stuff like, they could cut through stone...

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
Indeed, Katana is far overrated, and chipped quite a lot. It also wasn't a Samurai's main weapon to start with.

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
That's as far as Europe is concerned, of course. I saw one of these fired in real life... Nasty stuff, went right through a hay shield...

Spark

Broken
MRPolo13 said:
That's as far as Europe is concerned, of course. I saw one of these fired in real life... Nasty stuff, went right through a hay shield...
I saw one too :D I used to be part of an archery club and some old bearded guy had one, fired it at a bear prop made from some plasticy/rubbery material.......if it was a real bear....it wouldn't be very healthy after....

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
@Gregor

arrows piercing plate
no
stop
please
I like how people bring in their experts to support their views...
This is a post from two years ago. Let's face it, that's quite a while for learning. Also, it's possible depending on the bow and the armour. Look at Angicourt as a classic example. Everything lies in context.
Mongols were fighting against mailed opponents of 13th century, by the by, that's why they could win battles so reliably.

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
I like how people bring in their experts to support their views...
This is a post from two years ago. Let's face it, that's quite a while for learning. Also, it's possible depending on the bow and the armour. Look at Angicourt as a classic example. Everything lies in context.
Mongols were fighting against mailed opponents of 13th century, by the by, that's why they could win battles so reliably.
I tagged Gregor because I thought he'd want to see. I understand that it's an old incorrect thread. I don't care about correcting you.