Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

How do you *insert kind of tedious job* rp?

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
I was wondering how everyone does their own thing, or if there's a proper way to do it, do you actually rp through all of the steps, glance over them but still put in the important aspects, or just meh your way through the whole thing in general? I know that with Roy i can take up one or two chat log blocks simply narrating what goes through his head and some details in how he's working the metal.

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
Depends on the situation, personal energy level, who I'm RPing with and the effect my RP will have on the other Characthers.

Example: my Characthers is generally a decent cook. However unless I'm actually teaching in RP or feeling like showing off I generally glance over the cooking RP with a couple lines at most. Sometimes if it's a pretty small RP with folks I know, I emote *and he cooks*

Compare that to an RP I had a while back during your event with my temp Halfling. I had to go into greater detail than I'm used to because one I was around different folks who don't know my RP style also , after being poked my @Michcat and remembering this was important in that situation I RPed my characters stances and positioning in much greater detail.

4-5 lines of positioning and detail compared to 4-5 words.

Edit: should mention general rule of thumb if your doing an action that can have negative effects on others, more description is your friend. If you make a plate of normal cookies I think most folks will be fine and give you some leeway there.

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
My innkeeper, Niah, does a lot of cooking. Admittedly she does mostly stews and fish, which isn't terribly prep intensive, but I try to RP out all the steps depending on the crowd. Sometimes if there's a large group at the inn doing other things, I don't want to clutter up the chat with cooking emotes. Or in-depth cleaning emotes. But sometimes emoting that sort of tedium is a fun exercise in writing. Honestly depends on the crew I'm with.

Paint

Lord of Altera
Frosty
Retired Staff
ShadowAdmin
ShadowAdmin
Frosty
I was wondering how everyone does their own thing, or if there's a proper way to do it, do you actually rp through all of the steps, glance over them but still put in the important aspects, or just meh your way through the whole thing in general? I know that with Roy i can take up one or two chat log blocks simply narrating what goes through his head and some details in how he's working the metal.
I try to emote every step of blacksmithing when I do it with Weland (It being a bit faster, just for my sanity) and I also did the same with William the first time he made a longship, which proved to be a long process of the same emotes being repeated.

I try to RP out everything, but sometimes you simply speed it up a bit.

Tybalt

Lord of Altera
In combat RP, I tend to go all out with the descriptions of stances and such, but if I'm around people who are familiar with my style of combat and wording, I just name the name of the general stance my characters are in, ie Window Guard, Long Guard, Woman's Guard

Other tedious jobs are the same way.

Centurion

Dark Council Elite
I used to PassiveRP but I don't anymore. When I do, it's typically in the presence of others, and not in a medieval RP environment. I use it as a tool for rp progression.

Michcat

i'm the wench if you're the cake ;)
Depends on the situation, personal energy level, who I'm RPing with and the effect my RP will have on the other Characthers.

Example: my Characthers is generally a decent cook. However unless I'm actually teaching in RP or feeling like showing off I generally glance over the cooking RP with a couple lines at most. Sometimes if it's a pretty small RP with folks I know, I emote *and he cooks*

Compare that to an RP I had a while back during your event with my temp Halfling. I had to go into greater detail than I'm used to because one I was around different folks who don't know my RP style also , after being poked my @Michcat and remembering this was important in that situation I RPed my characters stances and positioning in much greater detail.

4-5 lines of positioning and detail compared to 4-5 words.

Edit: should mention general rule of thumb if your doing an action that can have negative effects on others, more description is your friend. If you make a plate of normal cookies I think most folks will be fine and give you some leeway there.
Yeee- I do something really similar to this! While generally in anything that will massively effect another character (Violent and extremely emotional/dramatic RP comes to mind), I'll get pretty heavy with the details.
Usually though? Especially if its something tedious my character does a LOT? I gloss it over in a few words, if everyone involved has seen it all before xD