Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

How does your character speak? AKA I can't hold all these damn accents

Do you really want the entire textblock of michcharacter accents

• Total voters

blargtheawesome

... is very scientifical.
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Staff
Nwalme's got a british estuary accent. Idk if there's other names for it, but basically it's sort of evolved from when he was younger. When he was younger, couldn't hardly speak common (I remember annoying legion by constantly using 'whom'). Then, as he got more and more involved in nobility (Cromarcky), he would get more proper and fancy English - and a larger vocabulary - and overall steadily sound more like a noble than like a peasant as his social circle shifted and the people around him were nobles rather than fellow street urchins. Around the time of his wandering around as both an official diplomat, and to serve his own interests and amusement, he started picking up on the wide variety of accents and mannerisms that permeate different peoples. So, he started trying to imitate them, and found that different voices went well with different settings and people. Nowadays his accent is more neutral, but still sounds as animated and controlled as it did then.

i' o'n'ly sp'eak n'walm' fuv'r
if you're gonna shitpost at least be funny about it

French Roast

Lord of Altera
Pronouns
She/Her
French_Roast
French_Roast
I don't have a specific accent for Tryg. It's just sort of a.... vague accent that I describe as slightly northern. XD

Scardrac

Felsummer
I never really portrayed this through my character, as I saw changing my text to better phonetically represent the accent of my character, but Scardrac always had a watered down, modern-day German sub-accent. His contact with irregular accents sort of phased it out of existence.

Mitch

Daydreamer
Good
HoboVigilante
HoboVigilante
Good
When Aryus got involved with Undertow, he found himself intentionally speaking with the slang and improper language of his fellow legitimate seafaring businessmen. He thought it made him sound more roguish and better tailored to the part. Since then, it's become a sort of involuntary, natural habit and he hasn't bothered to try to repair his manner of speech yet.

Frequently uses 'words' such as "y'know," "d'not," "f'what," " 's/s' " and opts to remove that annoyin' G at the end of some words on occasion throughout a sentence. Toss in an "ain't" and "reckon" somewhere in there, too. Overall, anyone interacting with him probably gets the vibe of someone who can speak properly just being a bit lazy and leisurely.

Don't know if there is an appropriate real-world accent to compare it to, I tend to just roll with "ambiguous/vague."

Michcat

i'm the wench if you're the cake ;)
i live to serve.

Eminu. Always used a broken form of half-speech, and whether it was from language barrier or her own mental issues never really got figured out. She made contractions when they weren't there and amalgamated words that should never have been put together. Usually, if she didn't know what word to use, she'd pick a random word someone said recently and just... stick it in place. It was hilariously confusing and endlessly amusing.

Ex. "I is only am going for short time, yes~? It travelfoot small wagon-way!"

Tzemik. Oh my goodness gracious, where do I begin? Tzemik began as very quiet, introverted - generally didn't get into conversations, and whenever she did, had a reeeaal hard time figuring out what to say. Over the years she's managed to take a false sense of confidence from being brash and rude and angry, and her vocalizations reflect this. You're going to hear a lot of curse words, lazy-speak, and laissez-faire attitude being taken towards her own word choices. She approaches talking with the attitude of "just get it over with". However, if you manage to get Tzemik going on about something important to her (Or read something she writes, tze is VERY proud of her penmanship and literature), you're going to get the full brunt of her scientific mind.

Ex. "th fuck ywant" "piss off" "i dont give a shit"

Lathan. Lathan, while usually irritable, generally had a different policy of reservation - He only spoke when it was something he really wanted to say. His grouchy and uncompromising attitude oftentimes came off as intentionally harsh, but when Lathan was saying something, it generally was something that mattered. As a result- his voice was very gravelly and hoarse. He spoke 'normally', but used a larger vocabulary than normal while simultaneously speaking slower then you'd generally want.

Ex. ".... no, I am not about to teach you within the art, boy."

Schemil. A street rat, abandoned kid, he glorified the term 'pirate speech' and wielded it like a family heirloom. Schemil wasn't really that far on in his years, and what time he had been alive most definitely was not spent getting a cursory education. Poor kid.

Ex. "Ye, th'rr was a man ah saw by th' castle. But me tongue, it ain't much loose've 'ts own free will, Ser. . ."

Leminth... Before she was the Queen, she actually spoke fairly normal - if a bit influenced by old english. However, upon her crowning, Leminth adopted a more noble attitude towards conversations and conducted herself with only the most proper of speech. She didn't allow much room for word-wiggling, semantics, or argument within her general mannerisms - which lead to a curious accent that had to combine shakespearian courtesy and blunt authoritarian vocabulary.

Ex. "Thou stand charged, knave. Expect upon thyself trial fair. Hath thee a plead afore our Council?"

Sophie... Old habits die hard. She still speaks old-english, although you can, on rare moments, hear a bit of pirate mixing in there. Curious and curiouser.

Ex. "Aye, yet I've naught thoughts toward thy disposition."

Elsendir. Poor Elsendir, he was maybe my only character who didn't have any quirky habits. Alas, Elsendir, for all his southern origin, spoke very ... blandly. It was essentially about as normal as normal could get. This was less to, of course, hide his mok'yraian accent and more to ... blend in, so to speak. If you were looking for an exceedingly average fellow, Elsendir was probably the ticket, and his accent (or lack thereof) reflected that.

Ex. "So you're telling me I'm Lord Dishwasher now, is that right..."

Revremie/Leila. Poor, adorable little Revvie. Or Daydream. Or Evelyn. Or Leila. This Caparii begun not understanding a single lick of Common, and... well... she hasn't gotten very far since then. Leila doesn't get given near enough credit, however - If you can get her speaking language she actually understands, her accents turn from heavily elven/fae-influenced and stuttery to more confident, smooth disposition. She is, unfortunately, terribly TERRIBLY afraid of making mistakes - If she has to puzzle out words she isn't entirely familiar with, the nervous stammering returns in full force as Leila tries to 'test the waters' before she fully commits to a word that might be (gasp) wrong. Unfortunately, like another one of my certain characters who suspiciously shares the same hair colour, Leila has a lot of trouble with languages. Until she finally gets a grasp on them, her 'accent' will probably stick around for a while yet.

Ex. "Oh I d-d.. are... not know, Mm.. Mi'lord... um, um... c-can I... can I help, with... an-anything else?"

Sevis speaks russian with a splash of cat. I'm not writing an example because I havn't played the character in forever >w>

Antony sounds like he has asthma. Each word is a raspy, wheezing, drawn out battle of speech. As a result, Antony.... well... generally doesn't talk unless he has something important to say. Or just really wants to ruffle your jimmies. Regardless, his is not so much as an accent than a medical problem, but its so prominent in the characters speech that I would perhaps go so far as to consider it one. Honestly, the funniest part about this character has been how many times someone's wondered if he's about to keel over and die!

Ex. "... excuse.... me..... do you... *slow breath* have... a moment.... to talk.... about our Lord... and Savior...?"

Coaldust, Coaldust, Coaldust. Whatever am I going to do with you? His accent is not unlike the character itsself- his voice gruff and his mannerisms bulky. Of all my characters, Coaldust gives me the most trouble trying to remember the details of and correctly emulate. Being distinctly southern, he's had a stubborn south-american cant to his speech (and I don't mean southern USA) that seems to have permanently wedged its way into his words. Of all my character, this is probably the one that can be most considered an 'accent', and generally I've been told is hard to forget once you run into him. Also, his beard is NOT a little smile, damnit.

Ex. "Ja, mon. Dey be givin' ya shite. .... Wot, ya wan'me ta do sumt'in' 'bout et?"

Jaxon. A curious enigma. I've played this character from when it was 6years old to clear adulthood (He's what, 30, now?)... and the entire personality of Jaxon has gone through a couple shifts (teenager, being one). When he started out, he more or less emulated the pirate-speech of his role models. Jaxon kept his lowkey pirate accent for a veeeery long time, until recently I started introducing more southern-US twangs into it. I could really describe him best as a 'farmboy gone wrong'. The pirate-y voice comes straight back into play if he gets.. stressed, though.

Ex. "Ya'll can' be serious."

Epsilon. This is what happens when you take someone who thinks they're hot shit and they're really not, who tries to use vocabulary they don't fully understand, who thinks its great fun to take the stupidest of risks and mess around when perhaps you really... shouldn't. Epsilon Lyr tends to blow her full literary load in a single sentence if she's really trying to impress someone, leading generally to an awkward situation if they manage to pick up on it. It gets easier to tell when her faint burr of "mok'yra" (I have her speaking almost a slavic accent) gets typed out when she's not, in fact, trying to reach for words she only half comprehends.

Ex. "Hehehe, how shrewd~! Maybe you've more than, mmm, greets the eye after all~ Perhaps I'll entertain you again, a priori the celebration begins?"
THATS NOT HOW YOU USE 'A PRIORI'. RRRRGH

Oshette is my northern baby. We nord now, aye lad?

Squidziod

Kid Charlemagne
Mystic
Retired Owner
Squidziod
Squidziod
LegendMystic
Josef has always been articulate and well structured in speech, even when he was surrounded by pirates using ain't, ye, yar, and aye. For Josef, I like to have longer, more drawn out sentences to make his key points. Repetition and parallel sentences are common usage. I use North American pronunciation for that character.
Ex. "This is my island, my forest, my roads, my houses, my home. I cleared the jungle, I chopped the wood, and I built it in my image, and you stand where I put you."​

With Corven, I always tried to project a Scottish accent.... which was challenging.
Ex. "Aye'm not entairly sure wot et is yer trayen' teh tell me, lassie. Aye jus' Huv'nae gotta clue."​

Smurf

Lord of Altera
Mystic
Hiraetha
Hiraetha
Mystic
Ciri is trash and either talks like a bum or a sophisticated wench. Depends on her mood and who she's around.

Olive talks like a 3 year old because she has developmental problems and can't really speak common.

A tin can

Lord of Altera
Xander's voice is a strange mix of a french and british accent, along with quite a lot of pirate slang around those he trusts due to his time spent on the seven seas!~
The best reference I could give would be a mix of Arno Dorian and Captain Jack Sparrow. His tone varies at times from fruity and clear to hoarse and venomous, all depending on whom he's speaking with and just how well his day's been going. While decently articulate, he usually spits his words quite fast as to get everything out of his head as soon as he can.

When he's drunk, I think of Zoidberg's voice.

Cymic_

Better than sliced bread
Legend
Schemil. A street rat, abandoned kid, he glorified the term 'pirate speech' and wielded it like a family heirloom. Schemil wasn't really that far on in his years, and what time he had been alive most definitely was not spent getting a cursory education. Poor kid.
Ex. "Ye, th'rr was a man ah saw by th' castle. But me tongue, it ain't much loose've 'ts own free will, Ser. . ."
Cymic: I thin' i like t'ss laddie. 'is dialect sounds like he be of me own origins.. '

Charybdis

Screaming Cat
Pronouns
They/Them
bump........................?

Elwyn just has some weird combined speaking of higher class origins combined with the dirty hobos she spends all her time with blaming jaden CloakedReaper

Cymic_

Better than sliced bread
Legend
bump........................?

Elwyn just has some weird combined speaking of higher class origins combined with the dirty hobos she spends all her time with blaming jaden CloakedReaper
I can only imagine quite literally a heavily slurred highborn dialect, very lazy and drunken-- though hilariously clean and 'noble'.

The Courier

Lord of Altera
Sif/Landir originally was a Scottish sounding barbarian mercenary who, when he became acquainted with The Order of the Fallen Light, had given it his best to fit the part of being a knight. He spoke much better, although a few slang pieces here and there [Imagine a Scottish-Frenchman, fucking hilarious], until he had eventually misinterpreted one of the rights, coupled with high stress environments, resulting in him monotone. He lost any accent he once held and began to simply speak what needed to be said. Jump to about right now and you get a man who prefers to just stay silent and listen, for when he talks he sounds bitter, angry, cold, or he stays absolutely monotone like the days of the Fallen Light.
Stealing Mich's idea and giving an example.
Ex: "What do you want? If Silas wills it, I do it. Speak."

I forgot about the guy who got left in the Old World-

Ferrous
He speaks in a Shakespearean dialect, he however tends to have a grin or smile on his face so one could always hear a laugh wanting to come out of his voice. A bit of a Byzantium tone was in his voice as well, thanks to his homeland. He hasn't been too effected by the accents and words of the Northern people he was staying with, that being Rex Lonmar's home.
Ex: "Salutations! Perhaps thou may care for new armor, thy blade retains scars of war."

Last edited:

Niko

Lord of Altera
Good
Legend
SirNicholas14
SirNicholas14
Good
Niko speaks proper english with a light high class British accent cause of all the time he spent in Tambry, rising the ranks of House Stirling up until his own House became legitimized. Then he spent a year in hiding in Riseport, trying his best to linguistically assimilate even though he only knows the basics of elven. So if he wanted to, he could pull off a good riseportian.

Cornelius has a very thick, poor man's British accent cause he spent much of character development in Cochran (good times). Slowly but surely he's going to adopt a more germanic accent since he joined up with the Anhalder military under the leadership of house Bayard.

Auriel

Lord of Altera
Lover
Auriel_
Auriel_
Lover
Raphael

"Th' bloody shite tha' goes n'in this bloodeh tavern.."
Pirates..

Vesryn

"..w..well..uh..u..h..hue. hai."
He's shy to a fault at times, while insanely smart, has never been entirely the best at sociability.

The Cinnaroll

The Cinnamon Roll
Very Sweet
Legend
Retired Staff
Pronouns
She/Her, They/Them
Asirel_Luik
Asirel_Luik
Sweetheart
Cymic speaks in a pirate-like dialect. ICly his elven has a different taste as well, a subtle flare of the seas.

Cymic: Ye', i'm a tail'r, i deal wit' threads n' th' likes. T'ss nah' a bad occupation, brings in th' coin.
You have no clue how many times I needed to pause and look over what you typed to make sure I read it right when Cymic talks. XD