1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest, Welcome to our Medieval Roleplaying Server, HollowWorld! Get Whitelisted Today and join us! Then check out our Starter Guide made just for you.
  3. Keep up-to-date on the Server Campaigns!
  4. Here's a guide to the Prestige plugin! Read it here.
  5. To purchase property at Storm's Landing, Please Click Here!
  6. Hey, Guest! Contribute to the Server to keep us Alive!

Inappropriate Roleplay

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Discussion' started by Solus, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Solus

Solus Solzilla Staff Member Server Owner

Character Name:
    Ashna Kov'Gra'Sek
    In-game Town/City:
    Linlea
    [​IMG]
    Inappropriate Roleplay; Clarification of

This is an explanation on inappropriate server Roleplay and discussions that will not be allowed in OOC or RP or any chat within the server or forums. Warning: Some words may be offensive

+Player was banned, Reason: Inappropriate Roleplay
    This ban reason can be avoided by following the rules. To avoid offending, hurting and upsetting others, we would like to avoid the following topics, let us explain a few things first:

+"It happened in Medieval times"
    Yes, yes it did. But these aren't 100% medieval times, and while it is a Roleplay community/server based in medieval times, we have rules against this behaviour because we prefer avoiding things that shouldn't be discussed openly around people you don't know, and especially don't discuss/roleplay it on the server.

These discussions/Roleplays we're implying are:
    Rape/Sexual Assault
    Sex*
    Torture/Graphic Violence*
    Drug use*
    Incest*
    Suicide/Self Harm*​

*Will be clarified below

Please do not put rape in backstory at all, mention it or let it happen, it is a bannable offense. Definition of Rape is to force someone into sex without consent and touching someone inappropriately without their consent. If we hear even a wiff of implication of it in-game, we'll be banning. So knock it off!

+Why aren't these things okay to roleplay?
    All sorts of discussions can cause different reactions. These topics are things that can easily offend almost everyone (at least a high majority), it can also give a bad impression if we let these sorts of things happen. Yes, that does mean that some rules are made to make the server look good, but it's also to protect people. Especially knowing this is a server that ranges from 14-year old players to 20+

Instead of getting offended at conversations that happen and causing fights or leaving the server, we set rules to make sure most of these things don't happen and people can feel comfortable and safe to be here.

+But what if we're both okay with it? (Or keep it in a private channel)
    While we do appreciate the ways you went to try and avoid getting caught, this doesn't solve that the rules was broken in the first place. It doesn't matter if it's a private conversation or done with simply actions and a few vague keywords. It's against the rules and if other players catch it happening then they might think it's okay. It'll snowball and unfortunately the staff will be the ones that will be banning people that are are usually very well behaved players.

We want this to be a happy and welcoming community, so please understand why we put in these restrictions.

+Clarification of those in the * category:

Sex:
    We allow 'panning to the fire place', 'fade to black', or general time-skip scenarios when consented sex is involved in roleplay (always make sure the other player is ok with it). It can be happening in background stories between roleplay, but none of it should be roleplayed on the server. Keep intamacy to a PG-13 rating.
    +What's the line: Details about the act of sex, or sexual organs in play, in roleplay will be automatic bans.
    +We aren't tinder. Do not advertise being an ERPer on this server. It will put you on our watch list and you don't want big brother watching your every move.
    Torture/Graphic Violence: Can be done vaguely. You can give more details with *Cut* and *stab* but you cannot go into great detail with gore that makes the other player uncomfortable. Just be sure of who you're roleplaying with- tolerance level for everyone is different and there is always a line.
    +Any torture leading into sexual abuse or an implication of it, will be an automatic ban.​

Drug Use: We're allowing more leeway on this category. Players can mention medieval drugs and have it occur in the background, but no abuse of it will be roleplayed in-game. Ie- no one should be roleplaying 'high' or abusing drugs on their own or others characters.
    +Alcohol, Potions and smoking pipes are ok to be roleplayed.​

Incest: We're inclined to allow incest in roleplay, only in the case where the characters don't address each other as siblings- and must not be any generation apart (half-siblings, step-siblings, cousins and siblings are fine).
    +Characters, related in this scenario, more than a generation apart leans on a creepy factor that makes a lot of people uncomfortable, therefor- we do not want mention of it or roleplay of it at all.​

Suicide: The topic of suicide is a sensitive one- and we're including this here more so to clarify the topic, rather than say it's banned. It can be mentioned in backstory and discussion of it can be roleplayed. We're allowing discussion because roleplay tends to help characters through traumatic events. Always know your audience and who you're roleplaying with. If a player tells you they aren't comfortable with the topic, end the roleplay and void it.
    +If a player pushes a self-harming character onto players who aren't comfortable confronting or dealing with this sort of roleplay, we'll be stepping in.​
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    • Like Like x 6
    • Player Love Player Love x 3
  2. Solus

Character Name:
    Ashna Kov'Gra'Sek
    In-game Town/City:
    Linlea
    +These rules are now in effect+

With the bits and bobs of discussions springing up on outdated rules, we've made the intention of updating the inappropriate rules a priority. Please read it thoroughly.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Player Love Player Love x 1
  3. Naelwyn

Naelwyn Non sum qualis eram Retired Staff

I preclude my question with the sentiment that I am neither upset nor offended, but find myself raising an eyebrow in curiosity and thus find myself driven to ask:

Why the exception? (IMO - I'm less inclined to restrict things in general and a good portion of this wouldn't make my list, but I am of the opine that if one is restricting things such as graphic violence, I would expect sibling incest to be substantively higher on the chopping block.)
  4. Solus

Character Name:
    Ashna Kov'Gra'Sek
    In-game Town/City:
    Linlea
    We've discussed that incest was alright if the characters were cousins, step-siblings, half-siblings and to a stretch- siblings. Many medieval bloodlines did have marriages in this manner. But I drew a line when it came to uncles and nieces, or mother's and sons. Although the topic isn't shy in young adult books broaching it- that our demographic probably reads, and Shakespear, I'd prefer to avoid the complication of relationships in this manner and what it tends to imply in modern times. It's a blurry line the server's easier not to tread.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Naelwyn

Naelwyn Non sum qualis eram Retired Staff

Ahh, so a case of "If you must Lannister it up, we're not going to ban you, but we'd prefer if you didn't." Sensible. Merci. I figured the whole category would be flat banned and so my curiosity bade me ask.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Azur

Azur Lord of Altera

Character Name:
    Arthas Cordenth
    Alt Name:
    Azur_Deathblade, Bazur, Azur_The_Bazur
    Race:
    Human
    In-game Town/City:
    Breakwater
    House:
    Anhald
    So hopefully no more implications about character's sex-lives and such. Praise be.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Blorbis83

Blorbis83 It took a lot to get here

Character Name:
    Theodosius Hostilius Herennius
    Alt Name:
    Tabakov Goraya
    Race:
    Human
    In-game Town/City:
    Astrakhan