[Language] Astremian

Icanra

Legend of Altera
Language of Astremian
"The Language of Song"

[This language MUST be taught to the islanders or other players and cannot be simply learnt in a backstory. Living around the Islanders does not mean you would know the language either]

[Origin]
The idea of using a secret language was originally invented by the Tekton family who were very involved in business and trading. Throughout each generation of the Tekton family, it wasnt unusual for each branch to have a few sounds or signals to use during trade meetings - to signal either raising, lowering or cutting prices to the other Tektons - without letting the outsiders know what they were doing. This allowed them to change their plans and strategies during a trade so as to try and seek the best deal they could.

However after Ichien declared himself as Archduke on the island of Astrum, he decided to create his own spin on this and so started formulating his own language, but on a much more advanced level with more words than just the handful of phrases his family members had created.

So as the language was more subtle, Ichien decided to use the noises that Lune Tekton often made as a child - using the tongue and the roof of the mouth to make a clicking noise, and so he and his son started working on translating general common words into their own secret language to teach the islanders, naming the language after the island and dubbing it - "Astremian" and writing the language down in "Leer na Astremian" - a single book that contains the teachings of the language.

The language itself is quite similar to music and the fact many of the islanders are musically inclined - as the teaching of musical instrements is very common - meant that musicians would have an easier grasp on how to actually learn the new language.

The language consists of many words and topics, however in a primitive form, as instead of having sounds for each of the words in: "This fish is delicious", they would simply use two of the sounds and signal: "Fish [pause] Good". This makes the language simple to understand for those who have been taught it, but complicated and confusing to those who attempt to catch on to what the islanders are saying.

The language is little known about and is only commonly spoken on the island to those who wish to learn it. It is stated that teaching an "outsider" of the language is a punishable offence as the language is considered a sacred creation by the Archduke and so should not be shared with those unworthy of learning it.

[Structure]
The language consists of making clicking sounds with the tongue and the roof of the mouth to create one of five different sounds and a bass note. Each pitch of the sound has a different name;

Highest Pitch = Airde = Air-day

High Pitch = Ard = Are-de

Medium Pitch = Céanna = Sh-ey-en

Low Pitch = Doe = De-oh

Lowest Pitch = Doenn = De-oh-en

Bass Pitch = Cúis = Qu-es

[Speaking the Language]
Speaking the language word for word - to the complexity that Common is spoken - would be almost impossible due to the amount of time it would take, which is why the language consists of short, choppy phrases which can be put together for orders or descriptions.

For example, to describe that;

{The weather is stormy and so we cannot go out fishing today}
Those speaking the language would have to break down the sentence into the key details and phrases which are;
{Weather, Stormy, We, Cannot, Go, Fishing, Today}
However this would still be too complicated of a pattern, and so the sentence would have to be broken down again;
{Weather, Stormy, No, Fishing, Today}
To say this phrase, the speaker would have to signal each word individually, leaving a pause at the end of each word for about one or two seconds, depending on who is speaking, what the circumstances are, or who they are speaking too. This lets the listener know that the first word has ended and the second has started, so it would look like;
Weather [Pause] Stormy [Pause] No [Pause] Fishing [Pause] Today
(Translated into Common)

[Writing the Language]
Writing in Astremian is alot more complex than speaking it - only taught to those deemed to be gifted learners - and takes a decent amount of time to actually write in the language, meaning writing a note quickly would take years of skills and practice at the language. Writing in the language can only be taught AFTER speaking has been mastered.
The structure of writing the language is similar to speaking it, however symbols for the different sounds must be written instead of spoken;

Airde - II

Ard - I

Céanna - X

Doe - O

Doenn - OO

Cúis - XX

Similarly to speaking the language, there must be a pause between each signal so as a sentance can be formed. For example for the phrase;
{"I am writing a letter"}
Would have to be broken down and written in its simplest form (alike speaking in the language) this would look like;
{I , Writing , Letter}
With a comma after each signal to show the sentence is moving to the next word. However, for longer words, more complicated words, or words with extentions such as ‘-ing’ there would be a dash so as the word itself is further broken apart;
{I , Write-ing , Letter}
Now, translated that one sentance would look like;
{XX, II-O, OO-X-I}
Due to the fact that to write in Astremian, you need to break up words and symbols, it is quite complicated without years of study. This is why the teaching of writing is lesser taught and takes more time to actually learn.

[Learning the Language]
To learn the language you must take lessons through RP, you cannot simply learn the language through backstory. You must frequently take part in lessons through out the set time of how long your learning period would take.

Trying to learn the language without the "Leer na Astremian" book:

Impossible
Taught by a Non-Islander:
No Progress
Taught by an Islander:
Spoken = 3-4 years IC. 3-4 months OOC.
Written = 4-5 years IC. 4-5 months OOC.

[Cannot become Fluent]
Taught by an Island Myster:
Spoken = 1-2 years IC. 1-2 months OOC.
Written = 3-4 years IC. 3-4 months OOC.

[Speaking Astremian in Roleplay]
In roleplay the language would be described as a series of frantic clicking sounds and notes with the tongue and roof of mouth, and should be written like;

{Astremian: "I am speaking in Astremian"}
or
{Astre: "I am speaking in Astremian"}

-==-
This Language has been approved by staff as of 01/01/2018
-==-

Last edited:

NIAH

Secretly Elz
Retired Staff
This has been approved as something his character created. It was not made as a language that has existed for years nor is it part of a cultural application. It isn't part of the Official Server's list of languages since it is a project started by a character. :)

Last edited:

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
2 Questions:

1: You say that being taught by an islander would make it where you cannot be fluent, but if the islander themselves were fluent, wouldn't it technically just take maybe a bit longer at most? I do have a hard time seeing someone who is fluent be unable to help someone else become fluent unless they were a resident wiseguy of the island (Assuming that's what Mysters are)
2: I'm going to assume ordering is everything for this, for example, with the fish being delicious being "Fish (Pause) Good" would it change the meaning if you said "Good (Pause) Fish" to mean that the fish are of excellent quality and be more of a factual statement than an opinion? OR would it still mean the fish was delicious?

Icanra

Legend of Altera
2 Questions:

1: You say that being taught by an islander would make it where you cannot be fluent, but if the islander themselves were fluent, wouldn't it technically just take maybe a bit longer at most? I do have a hard time seeing someone who is fluent be unable to help someone else become fluent unless they were a resident wiseguy of the island (Assuming that's what Mysters are)
2: I'm going to assume ordering is everything for this, for example, with the fish being delicious being "Fish (Pause) Good" would it change the meaning if you said "Good (Pause) Fish" to mean that the fish are of excellent quality and be more of a factual statement than an opinion? OR would it still mean the fish was delicious?
1) to put it simply, an islander would not have access to the “Leer na Astremian” meaning the learning process will be slower and it is unlikely they will master the language enough to become fluent and move onto writing. Since there is a code for each word, it would make it incredibly difficult for someone to teach it from memory, to make the new person understand. Basically imagine teaching someone Morse Code - who spoke not a word of it - except you have no text books, or resorces (thats what it would be like). The structure is much too complicated for this. However, the island Myser (equivalent to the wise person on the island) would have the “Leer na Astremian”, the books, the resources and the training to teach the language. The islanders would mainly be tasked with teaching their young the basics of the language, so as the Mysers dont have to teach it from scratch.

2) the language structure is intended for how things are phrased, to answer your question yes the meaning would change. A simpler way to understand this is un-breakdown the sentance and see what it would say instead.

If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me and ill be happy to help :)

Last edited: