Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Languages of the Northern Kingdoms

Jstar

Exitus acta probat
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
JstarGames
JstarGames
Good
I had this idea to create a list of languages in the Northern kingdoms. It should help people, at least I hope it does!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Common tongue - The most common tongue of the Northern Kingdoms, spoken first by Humans. Nearly every citizen of Altera can speak this language.

Eldarin - Spoken by the Elves, dialects vary among Forest Elves and Silver Elves. Elven is spoken by all Elves, as it is the language they grow up speaking, though it is rarely heard in public. Here for more information

Fae - The language of the Caparii, light as summer leaves.

Mokyra - This is the tongue of the Corrupted Elves. They speak it only primarrily among themselves and do not share their knowledge freely. The language was first created during the Elven wars. Here for more information

Earkzian - The Earkz'Dok Earthspawns tribe language, they speak this language only when among themselves though it has been heard being spoke by them when they think they are alone. Here for more information

Verba - Spoken by the Nakam, hard for others to learn though still possible, but must be taught by a Nakat as they are the only ones who fully understand the language as a whole.

Sewade - The language of the Syrien, impossible for a legged to learn as it is a very complicated language for them to understand, the words that are not spoken in Sewade are often replaced with more common words or just don't exist.

Horgaahn - Spoken by the Dwarves, has many different forms e.g Ancient. However to the proud hearts of the dwarves they refuse to indulge the secrets of this tongue to others, it is a stout and rocky language, it doesn't flow as well as the language of the Elves.

Tafod- The tongue of the demons, no other race can learn it (More as I learn)

Greyling - The tongue of the Greylings. This language is very elusive as the race only speak it too each other, in the form of whispers. It is because of this that no known person outside their race has been able to learn it.

Fenra - The language of the Phoenix's (Really not sure about this one)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Red - Other races can't learn, no matter what
Green - Other races can learn, from members outside the race
Black - Unknown, (Means I'm not sure :3)
Orange - Must be taught by a member of the race

Please do note that no one likes a character that can speak all the languages, so choose languages that compliment your characters backstory, do tell me if I missed any!

Last edited:

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
I had this idea to create a list of the languages spoken in the Northern Kingdoms. It's general purpose would be to inform players of the wide variety of tongues spoken. It should also help people decide which languages their characters can speak. If I miss any of please tell me!

Common tongue - The most common tongue of the Northern Kingdoms, spoken first by Humans

Elven - Spoken by the Elves, dialects vary among Wood Elves and High Elves

Dwarven - Spoken by the Dwarves, has many different forms e.g Ancient

Verba - Spoken by the Nakam, hard for others to learn though still possible

Sewade - The language of the Syrien, impossible for a legged to learn

Please do note that no one likes a character that can speak all the languages, so choose languages that compliment your characters backstory, do tell me if I missed any!
The Arcturix!

Yoda

Lord of Altera
When I've finished typing lore, there'll be the demon tongue. That'll be called "Tafod". Tav-odd. Demon language is Welsh, and yes it sounds strange, but all will be revealed when the lore is complete.

Erlewis

Lord of Altera
Is Sewade un-learnable because it requires a certain part of the body to speak, or can it only be spoken using certain methods underwater?

abbeyvie

Lord of Altera
Legend
abbeyvie
abbeyvie
Legend
Is Sewade un-learnable because it requires a certain part of the body to speak, or can it only be spoken using certain methods underwater?
Sewade can be spoken both on land and in the water. Due to the Syrien choice of isolation, the language is difficult to pick up because of their refusal to communicate with others.. :)

Ced

Mountain Bum
Merchant
Retired Staff
MossyMorel
MossyMorel
Merchant
Sewade can be spoken both on land and in the water. Due to the Syrien choice of isolation, the language is difficult to pick up because of their refusal to communicate with others.. :)
So it is possible to learn the language?

For example, it would be hard to understand Amazonian, as I live far away and wouldn't come into contact with any Amazonians regularly, but if I did, it is possible, physically, for me to learn how they communicate and put that into use.
However, it doesn't matter how long I spend around wolves. I will never be able to communicate with them as well as they will with each other, our mouths are different shapes, and are capable of making different noises.

Which one is it? (Not that I'm comparing Syrien to an animal, just another race, please don't trident me :p)

Death Crafter

Lord of Altera
Well, Faelian...my Caparii character says the ancient language of the Caparii is called "fae" since I first started rp'ing with him...and it actually sounds good for a language :D

Seth_Jenkins

Lord of Altera
The Dwarven tongue is Horgaahn and can't be learnt by other races from my knowledge due to the Dwarves being proud of their language and not exposing it to others and there are basically no sources for the language to learn from, so unless there's a reaaally good backstory or lot's of RP...then :p