Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Laws in RP

CthulhuPeople

Lord of Altera
Most laws I've seen aren't officially stated , more like common sense. Even then people don't listen. But many times I feel like if a character were to go to an authority figure, nothing would happen anyway. Though I've never seen anyone actually call a guard over or petition a king.

Tybalt

Lord of Altera
Tybs no. That is Zima'maloj's first line of defense. I will not cripple our city's defenses in such a manner. ;)
He's onto my plans :eek:
I'm not really throwing my two cents into this law debate that seems to be raging. But if you're wanting examples of laws, which is sort of what I'm picking up on, if you browse the census thread most all the towns have their laws posted. Or at least the towns with nice threads do. Though some are more OOC and some more IC. I remember Calan having some cool IC laws.

The major Houses in the House sub-forum also has many. I know I wrote some up for Mithtanil way back when for when Eriden got going. Different places to browse for them. Now... Whether these were followed is another debate, which... looks like is raging here anyway.~
If you look under The Marr Sub-Forum section Marr has their own set of laws. needs Rework, but feel free to take from them, they're pretty standard.

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
Lavoyard law RIP.

We tried and failed because everyone has to be a Wild West style bandit who hates authority.

Centurion

Dark Council Elite
People ignore the laws unless the Gods themselves enforce them, and even then, most people don't care - people only want to rebel. That's why it's so difficult to find an actual army that follows orders, or a town police, or anybody that actually does as they're asked to.

I want laws to be a thing that people consider, but with such lack of surveillance in medieval times, nobody pays attention to them.

That said, it should be illegal to wear a hat upside down on Thursdays.

Sankera

Lord of Altera
In-Game Tech Staff
Merchant
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Sea_of_Fog
Sea_of_Fog
LegendMerchant
People ignore the laws unless the Gods themselves enforce them
unless the Gods themselves enforce them
Gods themselves enforce
Gods
*distant heathen snickering*

Centurion

Dark Council Elite
If I remember correctly, there is a phrase regarding this in tabletop RPGs (where typically there is a DM handling the non-player elements).
Of course that referred more to player deaths (ask the player always, ask them unless its obvious they can't survive, never ask them), but its similar here...

The general problem with the "don't do anything unless the other consents" is that it means players who have in-character authority (lords, military commanders, guards, etc) can't actually enforce their in-character rules. All it takes is a criminal to say "nope, I'm going home" to be let out of a jail cell.
Actions against a set precedent count as consent to consequences. People can't abuse the rules of RP consent to get out of RP consequences.

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
Right. Wasn't 100% on what the situation was right now. So essentially, a person who commits a crime is consenting to the punishment for said crime?
I believe that would be a reasonable assumption. Considering of course that the player knew OOC that their character was committing a crime. Shouldn't be an issue with most crimes, though if we ban hats being upside down on Thursdays I believe we can give them so leeway OOCly, especially if the punishment is character death.

On a side note is it against any OOC rules for someone who is IC charged with a crime to flee to a peaceful region? If not I think it might need addressing as I know of at least one situation where a lot of misunderstanding and arguments were had about just that happening when I first joined. I know they have the right to chase them down but it can cause some serious confusion when folks aren't aware of the full circumstances and they start swinging swords in a peaceful region, especially with no prior warning.

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
I think the hat thing was a joke. But yeah, it depends more on if they know what's happening OOCly... if they didn't and still forced to agree to punishment, then it'd push it into the "whatever DM says goes" region. Then again, I don't think anyone would be surprised when murder was surprise surprise illegal. Best check with members of the region/faction OOCly for any rules that aren't clear though.
That was a comical example of the thread but to address the real issue of if your region has strange rules maybe be a bit more understanding there OOCly. I don't think anyone will be surprised to find their characters being chased down for the common murder, theft, assault, actually threatening a Lord etc. However if your make it illegal for women in you area to wear anything but a dress that covers their ankles, maybe be a bit more understanding if a person shows up being all "...why are guards after me?"

Especially if you didn't post signs at the dockmaster or stables being like "You really should read the region rules here before RPing" or some other sort of warning.

As for the peaceful region existing debate that feels like another thread's worth of debate material. If you want feel free to start one and tag me I'll debate all day long. Though I doubt at the end of it either of us will change our positions on it.

Against the rules.
Ah I thought it was merely extremely discouraged. Do you know where I can find that rule so I can refrence it if the situation ever arises again?