Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Lets talk about the Broken Lands

Balatro

Don't call it a comeback
Retired Staff

Now- just to preface, Nothing is cannon about any region unless it's owner determines it to be so or staff intercedes, But I wanted to talk about this portion of the map. Basically everything South of the big river and east of the Desert.

We've deemed this area at large as "The Broken lands" Though that refereed to mainly to coastal areas the name's been used for area's as far north as the old Ambermore builds. blargtheawesome and Elz for confirmation on that.

Do you have a region in this area? What is the climate like? Flora/fauna, Seasonal changes, Whats the attitude of the populous. I thought it would be a fun experiment by community to determine what the south is really LIKE ICly.

Vincentius

A miserable little pile of secrets
Lover
Hero
Vinsintius
Vinsintius
Lover
Squidziod as well.

I don't think my region would really be classified as part of the Broken Lands because it's way up in the top left corner- at least, Iskvandar doesn't see it as that lmao. This is pretty neat though. Stupid southerners.

Rawkiller

Lord of Altera
Crafter
Mystic
Rawkiller12
Rawkiller12
LegendMystic
Here is what i wrote up for Slyannen and the telarion lands to your south

Large plains, lush river deltas natural harbors offering ships protections from the storms of the seas. the people live in these lands graced with natural forests of lofty pines that offer abundance of game and wildlife.

The land offers much nowhere in the natural resources of Iron or precious gems, but rich and fertile. Offering and abundance of crop land to grow wheat and barley as cattle and sheep graze the open plains under watchful eyes.

The lush and fertile land is deeply respected by the people and a careful balance is maintained so that nothing is overused.

From the ports that supply the vital trade income and fishing to the people, to the forest that offer wild game to hunt.

The first thing people notice is the cool warm breeze that blows off the ocean onto the plains offering a refreshing respite from the heat. To the fierce and blistering rainstorms that batter the coasts with all the intensity of the gods.

The cycle of rain and constant warm weather offer almost a all year round of planting and harvesting making the lands a vibrant farming and grazing grounds. Offering a constant influx of food that flows out from its ports.

to sum it up its a 79-80 degrees F all year round getting to lower 7o in winter, lots of rain constantly with rich fertile plans the bay of the city is fed by natural rivers that feed into it creating a very diverse eco system in the bay itself akin to the bay in san fransico. The ocean breeze is colder then the inland weather itself if you need more i have whole pages written up with wild life and vegetation as well as history.

Balatro

Don't call it a comeback
Retired Staff
Here is what i wrote up for Slyannen and the telarion lands to your south

Large plains, lush river deltas natural harbors offering ships protections from the storms of the seas. the people live in these lands graced with natural forests of lofty pines that offer abundance of game and wildlife.

The land offers much nowhere in the natural resources of Iron or precious gems, but rich and fertile. Offering and abundance of crop land to grow wheat and barley as cattle and sheep graze the open plains under watchful eyes.

The lush and fertile land is deeply respected by the people and a careful balance is maintained so that nothing is overused.

From the ports that supply the vital trade income and fishing to the people, to the forest that offer wild game to hunt.

The first thing people notice is the cool warm breeze that blows off the ocean onto the plains offering a refreshing respite from the heat. To the fierce and blistering rainstorms that batter the coasts with all the intensity of the gods.

The cycle of rain and constant warm weather offer almost a all year round of planting and harvesting making the lands a vibrant farming and grazing grounds. Offering a constant influx of food that flows out from its ports.

to sum it up its a 79-80 degrees F all year round getting to lower 7o in winter, lots of rain constantly with rich fertile plans the bay of the city is fed by natural rivers that feed into it creating a very diverse eco system in the bay itself akin to the bay in san fransico. The ocean breeze is colder then the inland weather itself if you need more i have whole pages written up with wild life and vegetation as well as history.
Yah the way you were decribing it sounds like you pictured the coast as the California bay and the northern portion like the valley?
Thats sort of what I was picturing also, becuase the near-dessert climate of the Californian coast coupled with the pines of norcal. So thats not a bad place to base the enviroment off of, Or atleast draw from. I wonder if there is anything similar in Europe?

Balatro

Don't call it a comeback
Retired Staff
I'd forgotten about that thread. So- acording to that the south is...

Dry Semiarid - scrubland. Semi-arid climates tend to support short or scrubby vegetation, such as grasses. Temps range from 4-19°C (39-66°F) in winter to 23-38°C (73-100°F) in summer (Jaipur, India)

Mediterranean - sunny and warm. Dry summers and mild, moist winters. Temps range from 10-16°C (51-61°F) in winter to 23-32°C (74-89°F) in summer. Forests, woodlands and scrubland. Fruit trees such as olives, figs, citrus, walnuts and grapes. Agriculture, such as wheat. (Italy)

Humid subtropical - hot and humid. Hot, usually humid summers and mild to cool winters. Temps range from 3-14°C (37-56°F) in winter to 23-31°C (73-88°F) in summer. (South Carolina)

blargtheawesome

... is very scientifical.
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Staff
We've deemed this area at large as "The Broken lands" Though that refereed to mainly to coastal areas the name's been used for area's as far north as the old Ambermore builds. blargtheawesome and Elz for confirmation on that.
(note that the name also applies to the more inland parts insofar as fuvurian geographical terms go, because it tends to be quite mountainous and where it's not mountainous it's generally hilly)

Sankera

Lord of Altera
In-Game Tech Staff
Lore Staff
Merchant
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Sea_of_Fog
Sea_of_Fog
LegendMerchant
I just went with Mediterranean because I'm European and my region actually got those big healthy trees and the most nature going on south from the forest, well expect for maybe the WEd in trees around the sisterhood temple but ssshhhh

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
The region of Hurr Nor is Jazzper 's now :)

Though I can tell you about Horror Island what it was RP'ed like before I sold the region.

I think in RP, we always roleplayed it as a warm area. The winds blew warm, and the rains were all the more stormy. I remember one time we roleplayed the rain and wind and I as DM made it happen so that the people on the island felt unsafe to be out in the open and unsafe under the trees as well, afraid a branch might fall off. That kind of storm. (Which eventually scared them into the caves, where the savages were living too).
There was a swamp on the island, due to the warm weather and impermeable soil in the center of the island. There were fire-flies when there was a night without wind or rain. There were swamp turtles on the island too. Realistically, the water on the island should have been salty or brackish at best, but a swamp is scary and I had no idea how to make a mangrove on that scale, so it happened to be a stinky swamp in the end.

Let me think... there were butterflies too. But of course only when the weather allowed them. There were all kinds of slimy creatures in the caves. Snails, frogs, newts, cave-eels, other fish. There were pheasants and other big birds (also doesn't make sense realistically for them to be in a coastal area I believe, but the savages need to eat).
The population lived in the caves because of the harsh storms and their skills at building a home never reached further than a quick hut. As a matter of fact, there were only two huts on the entire island, which were built over an entrance of one of the caves, which the savages presumably used as an outpost if they'd go hunting on the island or fishing at the shores.

There was also some RP on an island to the south, which was very similar. Hot weather, rainstorms and often lightning. If I remember anything more I'll let you know. Otherwise everyone who went to the horror events can also tell you about it :)