Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

{Makani} Frequently Asked Questions

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
Ask and ye shall receive!

Birds are more or less immune to capsaicin - they don't taste it as hot (Capsaicin has no negative effects their taste receptors). How do the Makani function when presented with spicy spicy things?
Bring on the heat. Relatively speaking, since like you say, birds have little problem with capsacin. They're going to win all the hot pepper challenges.

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Michcat

i'm the wench if you're the cake ;)
Birds are more or less immune to capsaicin - they don't taste it as hot (Capsaicin has no negative effects their taste receptors). How do the Makani function when presented with spicy spicy things?

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff

Bring on the heat. Relatively speaking, since like you say, birds have little problem with capsacin. They're going to win all the hot pepper challenges.

"Can I make a chicken makani? Do they eat chicken?"

Someone asked Warwolf and Warwolf asked me. So-

Makani are avian, but they are not a bird. It's like saying can I make my human be chimpanzee or ape based. It's really just a matter of feather colors. I get that asking to make a chicken is probably something cheeky, but there are hundreds of chicken breeds and some have Po colors and some have YaVei colors. Using bird refs is a good way to show colors, but using a chicken reference doesn't mean you've made a talking chicken. It just means you have a makani with a certain set of colors. You could say you're making a penguin makani, but you've really just made a black feathered Po with a white stomach.

As well, yes they can eat chicken. Their small island and their people are no stranger to famine and starvation. They will eat what they need to survive, provided it won't kill them. :)

----------------------------------------

"How would a makani react to a gryphon in Groundling captivity?"

The gryphons are seen as guardians that kept the groundlings at bay, but also temperamental creatures that had no qualms with attacking makani as well. They are dangerous brethern, especially since the concept beyond A'keiyah is that they were the ones not ripped apart by gryphons at birth. The gryphons are a necessary danger that the YaVei proctected their people from when the beasts were temperamental, but also fed and managed to try and keep happy.

A makani would react in a way that is specific to that character, I'd imagine. Some makani are probably afraid of the gryphon if they are not Yavei. Some makani probably see it as an insult to their brethren to cage it. It would just depend on their opinion on the creatures.

--------------------------

"Do they know what beds are?"

Yes. Their 'roosts' are literally just communal houses. Several large, soft pallets made of various materials. They'll sleep on their side or stomachs.

----------------------------

Keep the questions coming as you have them. :) It's hard to answer FAQ's if folks don't ask them.

Last edited:

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
How does a Makani sleep on its side with them big wings? Seems like they'd be more apt to sleep in a forward reclined sitting position so their wings could drape down, or in a backward reclined one so they could rest against the wings.

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
How does a Makani sleep on its side with them big wings? Seems like they'd be more apt to sleep in a forward reclined sitting position so their wings could drape down, or in a backward reclined one so they could rest against the wings.
See these three lpictures for wing mobility refs. (I know I said I did not want to make angels, but when planning for wing physiology, sometimes you have to use angel refs... *swet*)

Last edited:

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
"Can they cry?"

They have the very large stationary eyes, with a third eyelid that blinks across. The human concept of crying, with emotional tears, isn't something they can do. Their tear ducts are mostly used for keeping their eyes moist with the eyelid blinks across. They can however vocally cry out, and feel the same emotions. It's one of the challenges of a race with extremely limited facial capabilities.

Legendary Fiction

It took a lot to get here
When is the Bright Moon? Is it considered the full moon, or is it similar to when the moon is closest to the world, and therefore larger? How will the Bright Moon be timed in a world that has weird timelines/wibbly wobbly?

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
When is the Bright Moon? Is it considered the full moon, or is it similar to when the moon is closest to the world, and therefore larger? How will the Bright Moon be timed in a world that has weird timelines/wibbly wobbly?
Bright Moon is the full moon. Though, it's not a very bright moon sort of time since it's now a purple moon every day.

Narvendel

Lord of Altera
Do Makani react in the same way as their more avian cousins to theobromine, the toxic part of chocolate? That is to say, do Makani also have a low tolerance due to a lack of adaptation in digesting it well?

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
Do Makani react in the same way as their more avian cousins to theobromine, the toxic part of chocolate? That is to say, do Makani also have a low tolerance due to a lack of adaptation in digesting it well?
They react badly to the vegetables listed on the lore. Everything else is fine.

Narvendel

Lord of Altera
Since Manna is myth and not fact, from whence did the Makani actually come? The other races were created by the immortal kings IIRC. Did they just whip up some birbs and place them on their own sky island to be forever alone?

Blorbis83

Lord of Altera
Legend
Pronouns
He/Him
Blorbis83
Blorbis83
Legend
Do they have the same erm...execretory system as birds? Obviously no one is going to be doing any toilet RP, but like, what if they have to give birth? Do they lay eggs?

Warwolf

Alteran Cryptid and Renowned Hat-wearer
Staff member
Admin
In-Game Tech Staff
Legend
WarWolf_1
WarWolf_1
Legend
What if they have to give birth? Do they lay eggs?
That's actually covered in the lore.
Because the makani rear live young, unlike any other avian species, they must also find ways to feed the younglings. Makani females lack the conventional mammalian… food bags. Ground up insects and fruit pastes are common for the makani babies up until around age three or four.

Centurion

Dark Council Elite
You mention above that bird refs aren't accurate depictions of physiology. Niah my friend, you're not saying that there's no difference between them in appearance other than feather color, are you? I like mine being a hawk and Charybdis being a Cockatiel.

Cymic_

Better than sliced bread
Legend
You mention above that bird refs aren't accurate depictions of physiology. Niah my friend, you're not saying that there's no difference between them in appearance other than feather color, are you? I like mine being a hawk and Charybdis being a Cockatiel.
Pretty sure that is what she's saying, they've got the appearance of said birds but aren't said birds.

Cymic_

Better than sliced bread
Legend
Since Manna is myth and not fact, from whence did the Makani actually come? The other races were created by the immortal kings IIRC. Did they just whip up some birbs and place them on their own sky island to be forever alone?
I was hoping the campaign will cover this in the future, still think it will.

Centurion

Dark Council Elite
Pretty sure that is what she's saying, they've got the appearance of said birds but aren't said birds.
More specifically, the head structure. Not to say they are those birds, but to say their heads are the appropriate structure.

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
There's nothing preventing Manna from being an Immortal King by a different name.

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
Hmmmmmmm. Some questions just aren't meant to be answered on a thread.

Do they have the same erm...execretory system as birds? Obviously no one is going to be doing any toilet RP, but like, what if they have to give birth? Do they lay eggs?
That's actually covered in the lore.
Warwolf got it covered. Live birth. As for... excretory.... I commend your curiosity for taking you to weird ponderances. A turd's a turd... I..... yup. That's answered, now moving on.

More specifically, the head structure. Not to say they are those birds, but to say their heads are the appropriate structure.
Makani physiology does not change from clan to clan, except for basic height variation. Clans are basically feather racism anyway. Makani are a sentient race with its own language and culture. Not a birdie that coos, tweets, and chirps. Makani may "appear" like a bird, but that is just a reference for their feathers and colors. The head structure is the head structure of a makani. Head shape doesn't change from makani to makani just because their feathers are a different color or pattern.