Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Marcielle's Whitelist Application [Approved - ToastySpam]

Marcielle

Villager
About You!

1. What is your Minecraft username?
(New players can only use one account to begin with, so please don't list any alt accounts. You can apply for an alt account after being here for one month.)

Marcielle

2. How old are you?
(Please note that the minimum age to take part on the server is 14. Due to the era of the role play there are some more mature themes which may not be suitable for anyone younger. We can't be held responsible should you choose to lie about your age.)

3. What country are you from?
(HollowWorld is an English speaking server. People from around the world are more than welcome to join us and take part provided that they do their best to use a good standard of written English both in game and on the forums.)

I am from the United States.

4. Have you read the King's Law, Code of Conducts, Official Lore, and the Player Guides yet?
(There, you can find information about how our server is run, as well as the playable races.)

I have indeed! I will admit, when I clicked the link on the scrollbar near the top banner, the Player Guide link did not work. I would love to get my hands on it, however!

5. In your own words, how would you define metagaming and powergaming?
(It is important to understand what these terms are and why they are bannable offenses in any roleplaying community.)

Metagaming is the use of information which would otherwise be inaccessible or unknown to your character to affect your actions in any way - for example, one could consider X-Ray metagaming (as it's like 'knowing' where all the ore is), or Dynmap useage if players are marked on-map; another example would be learning something through an outside source (say, my friend told me where someone was via Discord) and then acting upon such previously-unknown bits of data.

Powergaming is, first and foremost, no fun. It is the usage of 'aggressive' role-playing to put forth one's own actions and input over another's. For example, people powergame most often in combat, where they say things like: 'I stab you in the chest, killing you instantly! I'm too fast for you to dodge!' and othersuch nonsense. A simpler explanation would be 'forcing' your action to happen in spite of/in front of another's reaction. It is a selfish thing to do and it only serves selfish purposes.

6. Do we allow X-Raying mods or X-Ray texture packs on the server?
(This question goes for any method that can be used to unfairly find and mine ores.)

Certainly not!

7. Name one of our current Mentors.
(Mentors are designed to help you get used to the server; you can see a list of our current Mentors and what they can do for you under 'Code of Conduct!' [x].)

8. Tell us about yourself!
(Introduce yourself! Tell us some of your hobbies, what kind of music you like, other games you play, maybe any pets you have. We're not asking for anything too personal, but we would like to get to know you a bit better to help the application and transition. This question needs to be a minimum of five sentences and not focused on Minecraft.)

Hello! I'm Marcie, a 20 year old college student hoping to find a new place to burn time between online classes. I'm an avid reader, fantasy fan, and video game player - my current favorites for books are the Drizz't and Dragonlance books, for movies it would be Princess Bride and likely the LotR trilogy, and for games I enjoy Warframe, Psychonauts, and Mount & Blade: Warband. I spend most of my waking hours in some kind of creative endeavor if not mired in some sort of digital distraction - I am an amateur writer (no published works, but I'm working on it!), I host a Shadowrun game with my friends and used to host Dungeons and Dragons, and I used to draw, though not so much nowadays. I have had two dogs in my life, but if I am to be honest, I prefer cats at this point. I'm currently going to school for Human Resources; this choice was born of my love for interacting with people and my natural distaste for arithmetic. I am trans, if it matters in some way, but I assume that it will play no part in my interaction with anyone.

9. Do you have any examples of your work?
(This question is optional! Are you an artist? A builder? A writer? If you want to show off some of your work, we'd love to see it! You can upload a file at the bottom of the page to attach some pictures if you like! If you don't have anything you want to show, that is perfectly fine. Don't worry.)

10. Did anyone refer you? If not, how did you find our server?
(This question is also optional. If you were referred by someone, that person has a chance to get a referral reward.)

If I'm going to be honest, my initial method of finding Hollow World was Google. I used to play on a few great servers (now long-dead) and I've had the itch again - while initially daunting, I took to Google and simply typed 'minecraft roleplay server' or something equivalent and a link for this server came up. I was initially daunted, but after lurking around Planet Minecraft and looking at other options, this seemed like the most reasonable one.

About Your Character!
This section is about the character you intend to use once you join the server.We ask that new players follow these guidelines during this portion of the application:
  • Characters begin with basic skills and gear. No advanced armor or weaponry. Skills and abilities are appropriate to a novice level. Skills should be learned through roleplay, not through backstory.
  • Characters fit the lore. If you choose to play as a Moor Elf, for example, we expect appearance and details to be fitting with base lore.
  • Characters cannot use magic in any way. The test itself should not mention magic either. HollowWorld uses a restricted magic system and it is only accessible to those who find and learn from a teacher in-game.
  • Tests should not be violent. No murder, killing, death, torture. In the past, 8 out of 10 applications featured characters fighting off bandits or slaying passersby. We don't want to see how well you can script a fight scene. We want to see how well you can tell a story, how well you can roleplay.
  • Be creative and be original. Do not use tests/characters whose home villages were burned, parents murdered, and then set off to be an orphan assassin. It has been done before. Please don't do it again.
  • Written portion of the test is required to be a 400 word minimum. If the test doesn't meet the minimum, Staff may ask you to extend the test before the application is considered.
You can remove the guidelines above when you're copy and pasting the application. The instructions above are for you to read and can be removed when applying.

Character Name:
(Be mindful of the Medieval Fantasy theme when choosing your name.)

Valiant Saltsorrow

Character Age:
(Simple enough!)

Character Race:
(Have a look through our Playable Races!)

Human; Subset: Sangrian

Appearance:
(We just want to make sure things like hair color, eye color, skin color, and clothing is all fitting for the setting/lore we have.)

Hair: Blond; Dyed Black
Eye(s): Blue
Skin Color: Pale Chestnut - Tanned by the Sun, but allowed to lighten.

Clothing: Bearing the remains of an armored corsair's uniform, Valiant is nearly morbid in her haggard appearance. Sea-salt and the wear and tear of combat have made the metal components too rusted or frail to be of practical use; pieces of chain and leather are cobbled onto the misshapen uniform like a patchwork quilt. Her right arm is wrapped in blue sailcloth, cut from the main mast of a wreck - her left is oxidized mail and the epaulet of a naval uniform long abandoned. The red silk of a tablecloth, more loot pilfered for her piecemeal presentation, forms a cowl of sorts. The only unscathed garments are her pants, loose black 'viking pants' crusted with grime, and her hard leather boots. She bears an empty axe-holster upon her left hip.

Physique: Muscular but lean, Valiant is of a keen build; however, it's obvious she's recovering from some kind of trauma. Fresh scars mar her body: a troubled pink gash sits above her left brow and down into her now-cloudy eye, with more nicks, gouges, and slashes visible as her makeshift carapace is removed. Her teeth are as fair as one in a life of physical exertion and battle can afford, chipped and knicked in some places but mostly passable. A simple purple knot is tattooed into the nape of her neck. Bags darken her eyes, too many sleepless nights adrift

(Optional) Picture of the Skin:
(Attach a picture here if you have one. If you don't have an image, that's fine. Just make sure you describe it well in the appearance section.)

Written Test!
(This is where you tell us a story of your choosing! Be creative. It should be 400 words minimum and use the character you've created above. This is what we use to judge your ability as a roleplayer. Show us how much you've learned by reading our guides and lore. Include anything you think will impress us!)

Life for a Sangrian warrior never seems to be easy, does it?

You take the dice. Let them rattle in the cup. Pour them out onto the table.

And yet... They're never in your favor.

The young woman, fresh-faced and ready for adventure, stood lookout during a starry night as her crewmates slept. The stars kept her company as they sat anchored, just a short ride away from the nearest island; deserted, as far as they had been told. She thought back to her youth: her travels Northward to enlist; her training, from the axe to the polehammer to the crossbow; her first time sailing. It had all culminated in this first outing, a military exercise of Sangrian forces to perform a mock-raid upon a desert island, set up with dummies and decoy buildings. After tomorrow, she would officially be done with all her training. The very idea of it made a tear threaten to trickle down her cheek - instead, she gazed towards the sky to try and hold herself together in her excitement. There, the Northern Chalice gazed back, its ever-present beauty a herald to sailors and soldiers alike. The woman sighed contentedly.

Suddenly, flames.

The first arrow, dipped in pitch to set it ablaze, struck the side of their vessel with a resounding thud. Snapped from reverie, the lone watchwoman rushed to see what had caused such a sound - and nearly took a blazing shaft straight to the throat, had it not been for the weight of the pitch upon the arrowhead to lower it so it cracked against her breastplate. The island they had anchored beside was not as deserted as they had been informed, it seemed: in the dark of the night archers had lined the shore, with dinghies of raiders approaching upon black waters. The woman cried out, trying to rally her comrades, the horn at her post blown with all the sudden might she could muster. Above her, arrows pierced the mainsail and caught in its thick cloth, sparking a flame which quickly caught. Even as the first of her allies rushed from belowdecks the raiders were upon them, swords in hand and unmarked shields at the ready - pirates, unattached to any creed or honor. They had been lying in wait.

The melee was brutal; axe and sword clashed in equal number and from all sides, even as the boat burned around them. The guardswoman with dreams of grandeur fought as best she could, her hatchet tearing flesh and rending cloth, sending streaks of red across would-be opponents even as those same wounds appeared upon her own body. Just when they seemed to have a chance at turning the tide, a heavy cudgel was raised and then dropped with devastating force against her skull, gouging deep into her face and sending her tumbling into blackness.

Dreams. A laughing man in purple and gold. A massive conflagration. An endless ocean. Catches of memory and fantasy drifted through the dreamer's mind as the induced sleep deepened, sounds of battle fading away into nothing even as the roar of silence echoed in her mind. Whispers of words from time forgotten and remembered stuck together, forming one clamored idea: death. Surely she had died; had fought mightily and was laid to rest defending her brothers and sisters in arms, the most honorable death she could be afforded. And yet, it was not true. Just as soon as she had seemed to sleep she woke, adrift on a piece of board. Someone was calling for her: a rescue vessel, arriving what she could only assume was days later, in search of her and her friends. They found naught but slaughter, and a starving woman clinging to a tangle of planks. As she was dragged aboard, the only thing that rang in her mind was that she had been denied - denied the death she had earned in battle, denied eternal rest with those she held dear. Denied an end to the aching which now wracked her waking body.

She was returned home. Told to tell her story. 'What have you seen?', they asked, 'What do you know?'. Little came to her except the battle, interspersed with fragments of her old life: chunks of mnemonic shrapnel which caused her thoughts to burn when she even considered them. She could tell them nothing; nothing of who attacked them, of how they had been ambushed, of who she even was. Finally, as she was allowed to rest, a medic asked her name. The woman, desperate to remember, searched herself in the most casual glance she could. The name 'SALTSORROW' had been engraved upon the inside of her breastplate, which now lay removed and drying on the floor beside her. It wasn't a first name, but it was a start - she told the medic, and they smiled sympathetically. 'Well, Saltsorrow, I'm sure you fought Valiantly.' And with that, they left the confused and broken warrior to contemplate their wounds and their future.

You take the dice. Let them rattle in the cup. Pour them out onto the table.

Never lucky.

Current Setting of the Server:

The lands of Altera have long been laced with upheaval, supernatural turmoil that would threaten to shatter the realm or tear it asunder. Long, have the peoples of Altera withstood these tribulations, overcoming and persevering through the generations. Only too recently, the realm tangled with the Behemoth Qlippoth, awakened by monsoon rains and with which came the Ashen Blight plague and eldritch abominations. Though the days were dark and long, the realm did survive, through its tenacity and reverence. The memories of the trials behind them still fresh, the realm sits in a state of unease and angst . . . with eyes on the horizon.

In the skies above, the heavens fall and burn across the auburn colors of the setting sun, streaks of color in the gathering dark. The Realm of Alters awaits . . .

Attachments

ToastySpam

Chairman of the Procrastination Committee
Legend
ToastySpam
ToastySpam
Legend
CONGRATULATIONS!

Hey! I'm pleased to announce your application has been approved. I hope you enjoy your stay in Altera.

If you're stuck unable to interact with anything or chat, try using /warp whitelist, if this doesn't work then please message a staff member with the problem.

+You are probably eager to jump into the game, so there is no need to read all the links straight away. Go ahead and get started! +

Survival Guide
Read this to help when you login!

The King's Law
Server rules.

Roleplay
A guide to the basics of roleplay formatting.

The Official Lore & The Lore Book
If you need information on the world, this is the place to look.

In-Game Character Cards
So you don't have to describe your character every time you meet someone new.

Donate to the Server!
Do this to help keep us going - as well as earn some nifty rewards.

STARFALL
The current campaign is on its way. Look out for updates here.

Lastly, please make sure you understand the following points:

+ Do not powergame, metagame or use x-ray texturepacks on the server! Our moderation team will not hesitate to deal with reports.
+ Anyone found to be griefing our server and subsequently blaming their sibling, friend, dog or any other person other than themselves will be banned irrespective of their innocence.

+If you'd like to provide any feedback, concerns, suggestions, or otherwise on our application process, please feel free to contact me here on the forums.+