Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Mercenaries and "I Don't Consent"

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
There's been one instance I can remember where someone had a contract put out on them wrongfully. Never did figure out if the newbie player had picked him randomly or if he had mistakenly picked the wrong person. That player is long gone, but they had a list of a bunch of random people they intended to kill for the sake of being an edgelord. I think Aracena made htat list, if I remember correctly. Anyway, the player was a tad confused as he'd done nothing to warrant a merc standoff. Fun times. The situation resolved itself because both players were pretty good about the situation, though.

This story doesn't really help the debate other than being a related anecdote, so carry on I guess.

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
If you've done something bad enough to make someone go and hire another person to kill you staff are probably going to end up telling you you have to consent anyways. If it's a huge overreaction then I think the mercenary needs to suck it up and let it go.
Pretty much this.

A personal story. When I first started the server Azure was a farmer, peaceful dude his only beef was with Wulfe a characther played by Woolsey.( I mention this because I talked to Woolsey afterwards and she confirmed it wasn't her and she didn't know who did) but I took Azure to the Crossroads for some RP on a slow day in Thiil.

Next thing I know is Marian came in (played by Elz) because someone has hired her to kill Azure.

Should Azure not be able to consent out of death here? A characther who at the time lived in a peaceful region farming potatoes?

Teeke

Lord of Altera
There's been one instance I can remember where someone had a contract put out on them wrongfully. Never did figure out if the newbie player had picked him randomly or if he had mistakenly picked the wrong person. That player is long gone, but they had a list of a bunch of random people they intended to kill for the sake of being an edgelord. I think Aracena made htat list, if I remember correctly. Anyway, the player was a tad confused as he'd done nothing to warrant a merc standoff. Fun times. The situation resolved itself because both players were pretty good about the situation, though.

This story doesn't really help the debate other than being a related anecdote, so carry on I guess.
I think your anecdote goes to show a lot of issues can be resolved if players sensibly and rationally talk with one another.

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
I think your anecdote goes to show a lot of issues can be resolved if players sensibly and rationally talk with one another.
Pretty much this.

A personal story. When I first started the server Azure was a farmer, peaceful dude his only beef was with Wulfe a characther played by Woolsey.( I mention this because I talked to Woolsey afterwards and she confirmed it wasn't her and she didn't know who did) but I took Azure to the Crossroads for some RP on a slow day in Thiil.

Next thing I know is Marian came in (played by Elz) because someone has hired her to kill Azure.

Should Azure not be able to consent out of death here? A characther who at the time lived in a peaceful region farming potatoes?
Yeup. It was Azure's story I was using in the anecdote actually.

Elz

hmm
Events Staff
Very Sweet
Staff
Yeup. It was Azure's story I was using in the anecdote actually.
I dont' remember hunting edgelords :c

And I evidently didn't kill Azure, I've a habit of feeling too bad anyway, and probably made lots of rp drama instead. Unless I've entirely forgotten, which is likely.

Michcat

i'm the wench if you're the cake ;)
Some people tend to put out the claim that they don't mind violet RP, and log in under a constant state of 'yeah everything is cool'. Only semi-relevant, but I imagine it'd be helpful if you could... flag yourself..? In-game, so to advertise how much you care or don't care about consent rules. Potential assassins can approach without reasonable fear of reproach and no metagaming is involved.

... I think I'm going to put that info at the top of all my character profiles right now, actually. :D This site becomes more and more like a dating forum every day...

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
Some people tend to put out the claim that they don't mind violet RP, and log in under a constant state of 'yeah everything is cool'. Only semi-relevant, but I imagine it'd be helpful if you could... flag yourself..? In-game, so to advertise how much you care or don't care about consent rules. Potential assassins can approach without reasonable fear of reproach and no metagaming is involved.

... I think I'm going to put that info at the top of all my character profiles right now, actually. :D This site becomes more and more like a dating forum every day...
HOT SINGLES ARE IN YOUR TOWN LOOKING FOR YOOOUUUUUU!

but in all seriousness, while I do think that that's a good idea, there's still gonna be people who consent to fights and when people approach them to assassinate them, the person (who may have labelled their character as down for whatever) suddenly turns around and goes "Woah hold up man, I don't want my character to be killed without a chance!
I personally am conflicted. I want to have my characters available for assassination and the like for things like this... but at the same time, I don't entirely want it. I'm gonna think on this a bit more before I make a decision.

The Courier

Lord of Altera
I actually like how this thread panned out, it's doing better than I expected. Which was "Stop trying to kill people!" to be repeated.

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
I actually like how this thread panned out, it's doing better than I expected. Which was "Stop trying to kill people!" to be repeated.
whaaaaaat? You expected the forums to destabilize into senseless argument that would eventually derail the original thoughts of the thread and would require constant watch to make sure it didn't get off topic again while people passive aggressively poke eachother with pointy sticks? Why would you think that?
In all seriousness though, I think I'll actually mark my characters as "Auto consent for assassination/mercenary attack" as I don't see much wrong with it. I will state this to anyone who wants to try stuff on my characters though...
Don't whine if they run. You want this to be realistic? I'll work to make sure it's realistic, and realistically, a good portion of my characters would run (Tyr being the one exception) Though roy's the only other adult than Tyr, so I guess he'd technically be the only runner XD

The Courier

Lord of Altera
whaaaaaat? You expected the forums to destabilize into senseless argument that would eventually derail the original thoughts of the thread and would require constant watch to make sure it didn't get off topic again while people passive aggressively poke eachother with pointy sticks? Why would you think that?
In all seriousness though, I think I'll actually mark my characters as "Auto consent for assassination/mercenary attack" as I don't see much wrong with it. I will state this to anyone who wants to try stuff on my characters though...
Don't whine if they run. You want this to be realistic? I'll work to make sure it's realistic, and realistically, a good portion of my characters would run (Tyr being the one exception) Though roy's the only other adult than Tyr, so I guess he'd technically be the only runner XD
You can be like me then and have your character a walking 'Violent Region' tag. :p

Balatro

Don't call it a comeback
Retired Staff
For refrence- I consent to anything. I try to use charm to keep my characters off kill lists as my defense, so kill away.

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
You can be like me then and have your character a walking 'Violent Region' tag. :p
I've added to my character list that I consent to anything so long as whoever's attacking me consents to the same. Try to use poison on a character of mine? that's fine... object to having poison used on your character afterwards? Now we have problems. Though I'm not really one for combat rp, I can understand how situations like the one this thread's about can sometimes be frustrating in rp, as such, I will consent... but my characters will run XD

Omikuji

Lord of Altera
Patron
Omikuji
Omikuji
Patron
I always consent to fighting things, mainly because if Kopii gets into a fight he's being a little weird and the situation is probably something character building for him. Course he's also not a fighter (never killed a soul that dumb baby, let alone hurt anyone with a lasting effect aside from one situation where he had no idea he was physically hurting them that badly), but at the same time, I respect the rules of the towns I'm currently in.

For example, Roderick is the type to get himself into trouble to the point one day he's probably going to get his ass killed and has been threatened with violence before. Many times. He's not a fighter either, though if push came to shove I'd not turn down him in a fight. But, he was threatened with violence once in Arget.

Respecting the rules of the town, I didn't feel comfy with consenting to fighting there. Why? Because one, it was in the town rules posted on the forums, and two because the town is literally a high end noble ish town, there'd be guards all over the place. Even if it was empty ooc, IC there'd be guards who would stop that stuff, and it was outside in a place where guards would see the fight happen (near the entrance of the town).

I got berated for it, because I didn't consent to the fighting then.

But at the same time, it wouldn't feel right to because it'd be ooc for the town not to have a fight be stopped and the person in question caught, it'd not like they could just leave town easily either to flee, being on an island. And oh boy, would Roderick scream up a storm for the guards to the point he'd wake up the whole island.

Beyond that, I think I've always said yes, but my characters are rather non violent so they keep away from fights. Kopii would probably never get to the point where he'd be in a life or death fight with a person unless something went wrong him between the person, and Roderick would find every way he can to get out of a fight, even if he's gotta play the coward and run.

Michcat

i'm the wench if you're the cake ;)
HOT SINGLES ARE IN YOUR TOWN LOOKING FOR YOOOUUUUUU!

but in all seriousness, while I do think that that's a good idea, there's still gonna be people who consent to fights and when people approach them to assassinate them, the person (who may have labelled their character as down for whatever) suddenly turns around and goes "Woah hold up man, I don't want my character to be killed without a chance!
I personally am conflicted. I want to have my characters available for assassination and the like for things like this... but at the same time, I don't entirely want it. I'm gonna think on this a bit more before I make a decision.
I mean, then write 'cool with fights but pls do not murderkill outta the blue' - Or maybe include a fine print about 'gimme a chance to react before the death blow pl0x' (Which I believe is a server rule, actually).

I'm actually pretty ok with my characters being jumped by an assassin out of nowhere. The glorious thing about this is no one HAS to say "I'm cool with everything!", they can write something completely their own :)

Does that improve on the idea any-?

postscript as i read more: pfffft whining if you run. Why would someone whine if your character did the self-preservation thing?! I have to say 'please dont be upset if my character fights' .. I can't imagine anyone would be annoyed about a chase scene.