Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Mojang and the EULA

cherbert

Revenge is a dish best served cold.
Founder
Retired Staff
Here at Hollowworld we support Mojang. We believe that our server has survived as a strong community over the past 3+ years because of the players who support us. I am pretty sure they will continue to do so. If it wasn't for Mojang then Minecraft wouldn't exist - let us not forget that. It would be amazing if it ever became open-source or public domain - but that is Notch's decision and nobody else's. Until such time as that happens we will respect their EULA.

We do not condone the signing of any petitions nor do we condone the so called Operation Blackout.

We aren't going to complain about it nor cry about it. We as a community will continue to believe in Hollowworld and the friendships and bonds it has created. Those that can support it financially will continue to do so while I will continue to look at ways to keep costs to a minimum. The objective remains the same as it always has - to provide a roleplaying server for everyone to enjoy.

Last edited:

Catalyst

Lord of Altera
Server Outreach
Good
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
CatalysTftw
CatalysTftw
Good
When will the ranks be made purchasable IG?

Bean/Benijim

Loyal Servant of Altera
Would in game purchases of ranks affect the access to other servers such as the Direwolf20 server as a donator rank is needed for access?

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
Donator ranks will remain, but only as cosmetics (this includes colours, titles, etc).

The EULA expressly allows the charging of fees for access to a server (one time, subscription, etc etc), so long as all players using the server have the same benefits.

Itzzaboy

King ForumStalker
http://www.pcgamer.com/uk/2014/06/1...following-minecraft-eula-monetization-update/
"Operators may charge for access to their servers, as long as it's the same fee for everyone, accept donations, and sell in-game advertising or sponsorships; they may also sell in-game items as long as they don't affect gameplay. They may not sell in-game currency, however, and capes, which Mojang apparently wants to keep for itself, are also off the table.
"Hosting servers can be expensive. We want to give hosts a way to cover their costs. That said, we don’t want our players to be exploited or to have a frustrating time unless they pay," Mojang wrote in its announcement of the changed EULA. "These rules are making attempts to prevent Minecraft servers becoming 'pay-to-win.' We hate the idea of server hosts restricting Minecraft’s features to players who have already bought our game!"

Putting this here for reasons two-fold. First of all the help clear the fog that seems to be around the whole EULA changes and what they actually mean, and also to ask whether the ingame advertising and sponsorships could be an alternative to fill in the gap left by donations? (and there will be one. Sure people will still donate, but radically less so than before)

roopot

The Great Leper
Legend
Retired Staff
http://www.pcgamer.com/uk/2014/06/1...following-minecraft-eula-monetization-update/
"Operators may charge for access to their servers, as long as it's the same fee for everyone, accept donations, and sell in-game advertising or sponsorships; they may also sell in-game items as long as they don't affect gameplay. They may not sell in-game currency, however, and capes, which Mojang apparently wants to keep for itself, are also off the table.
"Hosting servers can be expensive. We want to give hosts a way to cover their costs. That said, we don’t want our players to be exploited or to have a frustrating time unless they pay," Mojang wrote in its announcement of the changed EULA. "These rules are making attempts to prevent Minecraft servers becoming 'pay-to-win.' We hate the idea of server hosts restricting Minecraft’s features to players who have already bought our game!"

Putting this here for reasons two-fold. First of all the help clear the fog that seems to be around the whole EULA changes and what they actually mean, and also to ask whether the ingame advertising and sponsorships could be an alternative to fill in the gap left by donations? (and there will be one. Sure people will still donate, but radically less so than before)
Ingame adverts would be rather difficult given the setting

Sankera

Lord of Altera
In-Game Tech Staff
Merchant
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Sea_of_Fog
Sea_of_Fog
LegendMerchant
I just read https://mojang.com/2014/06/lets-talk-server-monetisation-the-follow-up-qa/
Just a tip read it and most of your questions will be answerd, I found it really usefull
Also cherbert flying is not allowed to be part of a rank (part from the mentoind link)

Can I charge for access to server commands?

Yes, as long as their effects are purely cosmetic. Commands that affect gameplay, such as a command to fly, cannot be sold for hard currency.

Itzzaboy

King ForumStalker
In the link Sankera posted:
How should servers deal with users who have already spent hard currency on features that affect gameplay?
Users may keep the perks they’ve paid for on the condition that the same perks are available to other players on the server (directly or purchasable using soft currency). It’s up to the server host to decide how to compensate users for previous transactions.

Mryosi

Lord of Altera
I've looked in what they allow and don't allow, we are more on the "OK side" rather than the "Not OK side", I hope that the donation rate won't change much, because the perks won't.

Pirapple

Lord of Altera
We are much farther on the OK side, because they allow you to charge for things that do not affect the gameplay. Since this is a roleplaying server, the ability to fly is impossible, unless you're OOC. If we're going to allow fly, maybe we could set up a system where it could be turned on for ingame currency, possible 100r per command, something that does not take up very much money (little over 15% of a vote, which isn't banned), which would allow it for all users.

Basically, I'm expecting things to change. If it means I need to put a little bit of money out of my pocket for a little while, I'm ok with it. It'll take awhile for me to get enough money to donate to this community, but I think it is worth it.