Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Most Moving or Thought Provoking Books

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
Also, for those who can deal with reading the words of an absolute, unrestrained pyscopathic maniac, there's Mein Kampf.
As horrible as it may sound to a lot of people, I actually fully agree with you that the book does force some thought into the reader. You read now and are aware what exactly he meant and tried to mean...
And for those not willing to go through the hundreds of pages, read about first fifty and you'd have read the rest of the book, it's very repetitive xD

Yoda

Lord of Altera
On the subject of mad folk, The Shining. Thought provoking? That's for you to decide. ;)

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
Speaking of disturbing... (I probably read too many weird books ;-; ...)
Room by Emma Donoghue - fiction based on the Josef Fritzl case.

spagbog

Lord of Altera
Is that the one with the mum who gets kidnapped, and the child grows up in a single room?
Worst part is, tgat kind of thing actually happens.
Speaking of disturbing... (I probably read too many weird books ;-; ...)
Room by Emma Donoghue - fiction based on the Josef Fritzl case.

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
Might be weird, but I read it as an unbiased person and it was really quite interesting.
It is indeed very interesting.
...If you look at it ignoring the quarter of that's pure hatred and prejudice boiled down into writing.

dracoboy2

Lord of Altera
In a less specifically moving or thought provoking way I would say the LoTR series and the Silmarillion if you haven't read them already. Mainly due to Tolkien's ability to create a world around you, one that you feel apart of instead of just an observer. Though, not everyone loves middle earth as much as me...

Yoda

Lord of Altera
50 Shades of Grey is really thought provoking.

Did we mention any of George Orwell's works? If not, 1984 and Animal Farm. On top of that, we have To Kill a Mockingbird, Life of Pi, The Chrysalids/Chocky by Jonh Wyndham.

spagbog

Lord of Altera
On a similar vein, The London Eye Mystery was very good. Not as good as The Curious Incident, but still good.

Yoda

Lord of Altera
I did read another book by Mark Haddon, one about a bloke who thought he had cancer. Funny, but not as much so, as well as being aimed at the slightly more mature.

MORE POSTS THAN STEEL!

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
Did we mention any of George Orwell's works? If not, 1984 and Animal Farm. On top of that, we have To Kill a Mockingbird, Life of Pi
YES. ANIMAL FARM. 1984. TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD. LIFE OF PI. YES.

Also:
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
Both dystopian fiction, neither for the faint-hearted.

Aeturnumbrae

Loyal Servant of Altera
I've got a film, if that's okay?

It's called 'The Impossible' and it's about a true story, I'm just gonna say it almost made me cry :( It made my Mum cry soooo much she fell asleep, but don't worry it was on a plane! :D