Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Most Moving or Thought Provoking Books

wark

Legend of Altera
Oh~ I also forgot The Way of Kings, by Brandon Sanderson. I'm in the middle of it right now, and it is amazing. Not really moving, but it is deeply philosophical and has a lot of political undertones if you think about it.

Snickerdoodle_Dandy

Lord of Altera
The Time Traveler's guide to Medieval England

I'm not exactly sure this is thought provoking, but I like to look through it and compare it with the server lore and character behaviours.

Tarron

Lord of Altera
The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli is definitely an interesting read. It has some application to server characters and their thought processes. It's also very short!

mokwar

Yū Yi
Evil
mokwar
mokwar
Evil
All your english books ;-;

I got one book that really made me cry and think a lot.

Kom, hviskede han - Come, he whispered

This book follows death, himself, flying around guiding people to a better place. They put him in a way where death isn't the evil and the one who is evil is life sometimes, as she sometimes doesn't want to release suffering people and let death guide them to a better place.

One of the conclusion I found (and the only one I want to spoil) is.

Sometimes death can be the good and life the bad.

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
Studied Jekyll and Hyde to death (ha).

Still love it.

Reeeally like the context and themes behind it.

ForestRose

The rosiest of forests.
ForestRose
ForestRose
When God was a Rabbit by Sarah Winman, Burial Rites by Hannah Kent and Secrets of the Sea by Nicholas Shakespeare.
(All of these have to be on the favourites.)

Last edited:

cherbert

Revenge is a dish best served cold.
Founder
Retired Staff
Mere Christianity
The Screwtape Letters
The Abolition of Man
The Great Divorce
The Problem of Pain
Miracles
A Grief Observed

All by C. S. Lewis and generally can be found in a single volume on Amazon or similar book stores. (Search for the Complete C. S. Lewis)

Ced

Mountain Bum
Merchant
Retired Staff
MossyMorel
MossyMorel
Merchant
My favourite author at the moment is Terry Pratchett.

He's best known for his very silly and laugh-out-loud comedy in his writing in the Discworld series, but what a lot of people tend to overlook is how deeply allegorical his subjects are to the real world and how we live in it. His commentary is fascinating, scary, hilarious, and has a charm that I've only found in a few other authors, those including Tolkien and Lewis.

The Colour of Magic is the first book, but it doesn't really matter what order you read them in (there are at least 50 in the series). Moving Pictures and Music with Rocks in (or Soul Music) are my favourites. Wyrd Sisters is another, if you enjoy Shakespeare parodies (albeit much darker).

The movies in absolutely no way shape or form convey the power behind the messages of the novels :p

Edit-
Though, as an afterthought- The Discworld novels aren't his most thought provoking books. If you'd like some really deep, saddening commentary on how humans treat the planet, pick up the Bromeliad series. Similar to the Borrowers, it follows the story of a few very small people in a very big world.

Squidziod

Kid Charlemagne
Mystic
Retired Owner
Squidziod
Squidziod
LegendMystic
Already mentioned, but let me get behind 1984, Brave New World, Animal Farm and To Kill a Mocking Bird. They're all very good reads, and thought provoking.

Landem

Lord of Altera
I've read most of these, or seen the movie. I think I'll just pop in The Fault in Our Stars, If I Stay and the Obernewtyn Chronicles.
I think what makes a thought-provoking book is one that makes you consider how things would happen, or what you would do in a situation that's out of the ordinary, and these books do :heart: