Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Myslan Culture

HogoShi_Kitsune

Lord of Altera
Legend
HogoShi_Kitsune
HogoShi_Kitsune
Legend
Myslan (Language)

Mys'Alor the Destroyer said:
Here's why you can't exterminate us, aruetii. We're not huddled in one place. We need no lords or leaders—so you can't destroy our command. We can live without technology—so we can fight with our bare hands. We have no species or bloodline—so we can rebuild our ranks with others who want to join us. We're more than just a people or an army, aruetii. We're a culture. We're an idea. And you can't kill ideas—but we certainly can kill you.
Myslans are unique in the fact that they do not have ideas of bloodline, place of origin, or even of species being important. They are widely independent, leaders only coming into play when Myslans come together, such as an Aliit which is lead by a buir. However, no Myslan is solely dependent on their buir, Mys'alor, or superior officer in a military force.

Resol'Nare:
The core of Myslan code is the Resol'Nare, or Six Actions. It outlines what it means to be a Myslan, and you would be expected to abide by them if you wished to be considered Myslan. Children were often taught a rhyme to help them remember the code, which consists of wearing your armor, speaking Myslan, defending yourself and your family, contributing to the welfare of your clan, rallying to Mys'alor when summoned, and raising one's children in the Myslan ways.

Homes:
Myslans are largely nomadic, stemming from their history of making conquered lands their home. Even though there are no active conquests at the moment, many Myslans continue this nomadic lifestyle for two reasons: one is because it helps them be ready for when or if they ever need to conquer something, and secondly, if they become a target, it's easier to move and vanish.

The traditional dwelling is known as a vheh'yaim [veh-YAYM], and is specifically designed with portability in mind.

Celebrations:
While there are some regional variations with this, there are four main events for celebration: birth, coming of age, marriage, and death.

With there being only four, celebrations are often extravagant feasts (when possible) with plenty of drinking.

Death, standing out because in our culture we don't celebrate it, is seen as a celebration of what the deceased had achieved in life. Additionally, because the culture is nomadic, burials are uncommon due to the inability to keep a cemetery. The most common solution is cremation. To remember the fallen vod (Myslan for friend, sibling, or companion), their armor is collected. Normally, it is taken from a grandfather and passed by the father to the grandson, or grandmother to granddaughter, as the situation may apply. The term Aay'han [AY-ye-haan] is often used to describe these ceremonies. Aay'han describes the emotion of simultaneously celebrating time together with friends, but also sorrow at the remembrance of the memory of those past.

When a son or daughter turns 13, they are ready to partake in what is called Verd'goten [vair-goh-ten]. In this rite of passage, their skills are tested and, if they pass, they are declared to be adults.

Courtesies:
For outsiders (aruetiise) [ah-roo-ay-TEE-say], here are some common courtesies you can follow when around Myslans. These are likely to be brought up if you spend any time around one.
  • Accept a meal when it is offered
  • Make eye contact or look into the horizontal section of their T-shaped visor when speaking
  • Remove your footwear when entering a home
  • Pay your debts
  • Make a big deal out of children
  • Don't flirt with or date a Myslan without the intent to join their culture and clan.
  • And respect the elderly
Family:
Myslans are surprisingly unconcerned with biological lineage. Their definition of offspring or parent is more by relationship than birth: adoption is extremely common, and it's not unusual for soldiers to take war orphans as their sons or daughters if they impress them with their aggression and tenacity. - Unknown
Marriage, unlike other cultures, is not initially a large celebration. The marriage ceremony itself is a private engagement between the two individuals, whether that's in person or in writing. When both individuals agree to marry, they speak the following line in unison:
Mhi solus tome, mhi solus dar'tome, mhi me'dinui an, mhi ba'juri verde.
[Me sol-uhs toh-mae, me sol-uhs dar-toh-mae, me med-in-oo-ee ahn, me bah-jur-ee vair-day]

This translates to:
We are one when together, we are one when apart, we share all, we will raise warriors.

Following this ceremony, it is common for a celebration to be thrown for the young couple. Myslans do not hold bias towards the nature of the couple as far as the gender of the two partners, but rather the relationship is based on mutual respect.

Children

Adoption is extremely common in this culture. Often, when attacking, a Myslan would adopt the child of one of the enemy if they were impressed with their fierceness or tenacity. When the Myslan is looking to create offspring, this is done exclusively with their partner, regardless of marital status. However, impregnation implies an intent to marry if they are not married already.

Last edited:

HogoShi_Kitsune

Lord of Altera
Legend
HogoShi_Kitsune
HogoShi_Kitsune
Legend
So everyone is aware - this is a brand new culture. I have written this in a tense that makes it seem like it has a history. However, the only intent of this is to simulate a potential course for this culture and to give examples of what is common or expected of a Myslan.

That being said - if there is a section that is not covered here that you would like to know about, leave a comment below or PM me directly and I'll write it in.