Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[NationStates] I'm building us a planet

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
Using a randomly generated map overlayed onto Google Earth, I've created a NationPlanet for us.

Composition is of 5 to 7 continents, depending on how you want to define them. It is earthlike but with a 63% ocean instead of >70%, and the land area is higher in the southern hemisphere as opposed to the northern. If you wish to have your country represented on HollowPlanet, please describe your climate in a factbook and link that factbook here. Make sure to include your population, Human Development Index, and defensive power numbers so I can better represent your nation. If you're not happy with how I put your nation on the planet, lemme know and we can work something out.

Because of my own limited time and the fact that this map is meant to be an accurate representation of our RPs, only nations that RP in the region chat will be allowed to be represented on HollowPlanet. It's plenty fine for new nations to pop up and use the planet since I plan on leaving empty space in areas.

To build the globe map yourself, download Google Earth. Once it runs, right click My Places and add your own overlay. When prompted to select a file, use this one, unzipped.

Screen Shot 2015-01-30 at 4.20.18 AM.png

Last edited:

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
Current Maps:
Right click and open in New Tabs for zoom!

Flags Map:
Nation States Flag Overlay.jpg
Borders Map:
Nation States Borders Overlay.jpg
Cities Map:
Nation States Base Overlay.jpg
Capitals Map:
Nation States Capitals Overlay.jpg
Transportation Map:
Nation States Transportation Overlay.jpg
Weather Map:
Nation States Weather Overlay.jpg

Last edited:

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
After reviewing the map, Sincronia would like to lay claim to either the area Arcturix has outlined or the land area in the lower-center-left with the other significant collection of mountains.

Mountains are absolutely essential for Sincronian geography; without them, most of our culture simply wouldn't make sense. Most information in Sincronia's factbook detailing the basic geography of the nation can be adjusted for the new map, but the mountains and access to a coastline are points I cannot concede.

RexJen

Lord of Altera
Carausmia
Population: 248 Million
Human Development Index: 50
Defense Forces: 25

The climate ranges between desert and rainforest, with most of it being taken up by sparse woodland
(like Australia)
there is also only one mountain, where the capital is held

Last edited:

Kyle1322

Lord of Altera
Cyclophoa
Population: 109 Million
Human Development Index: 60
Defense Forces: 50
22CY78X.jpg
cyclophoa has a rapid expansionist idea, and they have quickly colonized all of the outlying lands, as to make sure that it can set up truly defensible ground, on which to establish fortifications, only the capital city has the most dense area of 25 million living there, and the rest are scattered into colonies and towns, and a few cities.

Squidziod

Kid Charlemagne
Mystic
Retired Owner
Squidziod
Squidziod
LegendMystic
The Unitary State of New Tiarch [USNT]
Population: 3.581 billion
Human Development Index: 65
Defense Forces: 66

http://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=361392

22CY78X.jpg

Other Notes And Elaborations: The area I selected is of course my ideal area of placement, but I don't mind being moved around a bit, I want to be flexible. You can disregard the population size as a reference to where the nation should be placed, just so long as you don't make it terribly small. Just make sure the location is tropical, somewhere near the equator with access to islands and the shore. I have no preference for neighboring countries. Advanced medical innovations and the mass use of in-vitro fertilization (IVF) the people of New Tiarch are universally healthy and generally live long lives. The defense forces are focused on border control. Border control is strict and efficient, eliminating migration and migration and this is maintained by what would be considered top of the line military equipment.

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
22CY78X copy.jpg
The areas highlighted are an outline of the areas I'd love for Sincronia to control.

At the very least, I want Sincronia to control the area highlighted in yellow. If you decide giving Sincronia the black and purple areas would be too much, that's fine, but I pity the poor soul(s) who end up there; Sincronia will certainly be involved in the territories in black and purple, regardless of whether they outright own them or not.

Just as a reminder, a great deal of Sincronia's territory (on the map) is in the South, so it's actually less territory than it appears (Mercator projection).

Also, I feel it's important to note that Sincronia has had an issue multiple times about invading neighboring nations, as outlined here: http://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=345591
What I'm trying to say is that Sincronia would definitely control a lot of land based on their historical tendencies. Sincronia would much rather choose to annex a neighboring nation for land rather than try to squeeze its ever increasing population in territory it already owns.

Last edited:

Deathmoron

Lord of Altera
#PaintSkills
22CY78X.jpg
The black border would be the Roachen national borders, and the red borders is the influence. Hopefully you guys'll accept this, if not I'll make changes accordingly.

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
I decided to go ahead and mark up the map with the claims made thus far, plus a few extras. I did this all mostly because I just love working with maps and wanted to see how this might turn out.

Please remember that this is just a draft made for fun; nothing marked is guaranteed by any means.
Nation States Political Map.jpg
Firstly, all black and yellow dots mark logical places to build cities, at least logical by my standards.
Secondly, the colors are arbitrary. I initially tried to shade nations by their colors, but I quickly had to start reusing colors and the whole plan just fell apart.

The yellow area in the lower left is Sincronia. There are more marked city locations mostly because I obsessed more over my own potential holdings than everyone else's (naturally), so don't be alarmed by the disproportional city representation.

The purple area in the lower center is Volopia.

The red area in the lower right is Mechanica Rationalis.

The cyan, orange, and blue areas north of Volopia are Arcturix protectorates ideally meant for Turious, Tarjikstan, and Prussoarcturix. Fight amongst yourselves for who gets which one. More protectorates can always be made north of Arcturix, if need be.

The yellow area northwest of Mechanica Rationalis is unclaimed.

The black area in the center is Arcturix.

The red area north of Sincronia is New Tiarch.

The green area in the center is Sprakia.

The yellow area north of Sprakia is Carausmia.

The purple area in the upper center is Legisa.

The brown area in the upper center left is Curacha.

The magenta area west of Curacha is unclaimed.

The cyan area in the far upper left is Terenas.

Anything not shaded is currently unclaimed.

@BrianAT16 I am sorry to say that I do not see an area where I can meet your request for mountain, rainforest, and temperate forest. If I've missed an area on the map, please let me know. Otherwise, let me know which piece to prioritize so I can find a suitable place for you on the map.

I will place Corvermell once I've placed Morgnatha. There are plenty of lonely islands on the map, so I should be able to place Corvermell fairly easily when the time comes.

I will place Cyclophoa once I've placed Corvermell. There are plenty of islands, but it's still only fair that Corvermell get first pick.

EDIT: Keep me honest, here, if I'm playing favorites with the borders. However, also keep Mercator Projection in mind when assessing the more Southern nations.

Last edited:

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
Screen Shot 2015-02-03 at 3.42.05 AM.png

I like the map, but can you extend MR's color a bit more organically on the bottom right so it doesn't end in a straight line like that? There's a similar issue with Terenas, and the rest of the nations seem to be ok. Also, there's Mechanican energy infrastructure leading into Sincronia, so I feel it'd make sense if the Sincronia/MR borders meet at some point.

@Valonyx how do you feel about demilitarized zones, like the islands between our coasts?

Ray1333

Lord of Altera
Me liiiiike, though I am surprised stuff like population density and urbanization weren't asked.

Also,
Is it a good idea to work out a lunar map, since so many nations have moon base programs?

Last edited:

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
Me liiiiike, though I am surprised stuff like population density and urbanization weren't asked.

Also,
Is it a good idea to work out a lunar map, since so many nations have moon base programs?
Population in NS grows by massive amounts, so it's up to each player how they want to handle it with the area they get. I've got subterranean cities from earlier issues, for example.

BrianAT16

The Brainz
Legend
Retired Staff
LeStrangest
LeStrangest
Legend
@BrianAT16 I am sorry to say that I do not see an area where I can meet your request for mountain, rain forest, and temperate forest. If I've missed an area on the map, please let me know. Otherwise, let me know which piece to prioritize so I can find a suitable place for you on the map.

I will place Corvermell once I've placed Morgnatha. There are plenty of lonely islands on the map, so I should be able to place Corvermell fairly easily when the time comes.
Yeah, while looking over the map I can't really find an area that looks perfect. So I think I may have to change the geography a bit. What looks most appealing, would be one of these two areas.

The one I would prefer being down in the south west seeing as it's climate matches Morgnatha better and it has a nice bit of islands north of it that Corvermell could occupy. But I also marked a second location on the center land mass that could also work. Black border being Morgnatha and Red being Covermell. Also if the regions are two big you can size them down a little but I think I stayed pretty small compared to a few other regions. I marked. The Black dotted line show where you could size it down if you really needed to.

Nation States Political Map.jpg
@Gaby